The 2022 Draft and Trades are too Complicated Thread

You mean the AFL Commission and 99.995% of the football media?

1 Like

Let’s not mention how long clubs have to match bids ……

That’s great, can you do a NBA one for me because I have no idea how that works.

On the NGAs, if they go undrafted can you list them as a Cat B? Like McNiece?

Someone was saying we still could on BigFooty, so we could give Rode (for example) a shot. I thought that rule only applied in the first few years of the scheme.

It’s made up as it goes, with needlessly complicated rules.

I’ve just re-read the rules and yes, you can (I have that wrong in the first post). For the pathologically curious, it’s rule 10.1 (b) (v). I’ll update the first post. For whatever reason, the wording and process for northern academies and NGAs are slightly different, but the end result is the same. No idea where I got the wrong idea from, all the versions of the rule from the last 5 years are the same.

To elaborate a little, however, it’s a slightly different rule to how we got McNiece. We got McNiece under a once-off rule where you could Cat B guys who would have been NGA eligible had the academies existed, and who hadn’t been drafted. However, under the new NGA rules (specifically 15.9) he would have been too old. NGA players are only eligible in their 18th year and for one year after that.

1 Like

Until Sydney want something.

1 Like

Thanks heaps, I really appreciate the effort.

1 Like

I only just realised those arrows could be clicked for more information! :crazy_face:

The work put in was even more EPIC!

2 Likes

Some of the previous versions took quite some time to scroll through, so I thought I’d get fancy with the markdown.

1 Like

Amazing work mate! Incredibly useful & very well-explained. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Modified the top post to include the fact this is the last year of the suns pre-listing academy players rule.

1 Like

Hawks and Cats were most interested in Tsatas after Essendon.