The 2024 Draft [spec] Thread

Sure Danihers no Ben Brown for accuracy, but he went pretty good in 2017 with Lloydy, almost comparable with kennedy who is decent.

FWIW Daniher 62.5% Betts 61.8%

but probably missing a few OOF.

2023 Daniher 62.24%
61.37 he had a good season this year. should have been 2018 with us.

1 Like

Got over to RSEA today to see Sandringham vs Oakleigh. Sandringham will be strong again this year they missed Levi Ashcroft today due to a stomach bug but they won by a fair bit.

Murphy Reid kicked 4 goals and looks set for a big year and Luke Trainor was terrific down back with his kicking a real highlight. Taj Hotton played midfield and did some nice things without dominating same with Sam Marshall, a few names that caught my eye included Nathaniel Sulzberger, Lennox Hofmann and Bailey McKenzie.

Ned Maginness has come back as an over age player and looked good on a wing and through the middle, he has gotten notably taller and stronger but his skills still shone when on the outside.

For Oakleigh it was a juggling act to get midfield time into a range of players, you had the likes of Finn O’Sullivan/Jagga Smith/Tom Gross/Doug Kerr/Zane Cochrane
/Patrick Retschko all rotating through with Jagga spending more time than usual up forward. In terms of new names to impress Liam Callaghan was very steady at full back for Oakleigh.

13 Likes

I admire your dedication, as much as l respect your opinion.

Really looking forward to seeing how that stacked Chargers midfield goes against the Eastern midfield trio of Smillie, Moraes and Anderson in round 1. Fantastic way to kick off the new season.

1 Like

Sorry for replying to an old post, but just looking at raw goals/points misses quite a bit (especially for Joe)

Danihers actual accuracy figures (AFL app)

2023 - 53.6%
2022 - 52%
2021 - 48.9%
2017 - 56%

Looks like the Suns have another top end talent coming their way. Lombard had ~20 disposals in the first half before fading a little. Not many 17 year olds can dominate a VFL game like that.

An early season battle of the pick 1 contenders between Josh Smillie and Finn O’Sullivan. Smillie clearly the better performed on the day.

1 Like

My wish list at the end of last season in order

Josh Smillie

Sam Lalor

Christian Moraes

But the one we absolutely must figure out a way of landing is Kako. Our small forward issue is glaringly obvious, and he is exactly what we need

1 Like

Smilie is a gun. Watching Eastern last year was largely for the wizard but often I felt more impressed by what he was doing as a bottom ager.
As pleasing as it is to see our side having much more size around the ball at the moment but Smilie is that genuine BBM our fans are gonna fall for I think. Not likely to be in our range nonetheless.

I think it will be fascinating to see how we approach this draft in terms of priorities. Looking like lots of good mids around the top of the order but we’d need to bringing in some point of difference to what we’ve already got. Also will be interesting to see if we start to look for more specific player strengths with Brad and his new team having that extra year to assess things.
You’d think elite runners and good kicks would be high on the priority list.

Would be awesome if we get some good news on a rule change (for once in our favour) and can somehow land Kako after pick 20.

1 Like

Been getting through a few of the top end prospects this week:

6 Likes

Whitlock might be one to keep an eye on for us. I’d still have him outside the top 10 at this stage, and he’s the kind of key forward prospect that we could really use.

Mind you, if he keeps playing well he’ll shoot up the draft boards.

He’s got the lot.

3 Likes

Love your work!

1 Like

load up with smalls this year imo

Kako with 3 goals today, backing up 2 last week.

The stress of landing this kid is going to eat me alive this year

5 Likes

Do yourself a favour and accept we won’t get him. That way you don’t have to stress. It is the way…
If we then do get him you can be elated rather than relieved.

2 Likes

We will have to use our 1st at this rate, I’d be happy to actually address a need and pull the trigger

3 Likes

We should ask for a priority pick due to sucking for so long, might help us nab Kako.

2 Likes

In terms of small forwards Murray’s Joe Berry couldn’t have started the season better. He just makes things happen inside 50, great speed, great pressure, good skills and not selfish either.

8 Likes

For 2025 draft …

2 Likes