The Annual Aldi Snow Gear Humiliation

Albany down south and it’s environs. I can’t think I have ever heard of there being enough to do more than make a snowball. Certainly never heard of being able to ski there.

It snows mainly in Japan.

So what you’re saying is, it snows enough to fill the MCG, but not to capacity?

4 Likes

never gets old

2 Likes

I remember lining up from early morning with my mum and sister outside the doors of the Treasureway store in Oakleigh for their sale. The hot item… 19 cent pantyhose. It was sheer mayhem.
A little boy battling with bargain focused ladies. But I did well by bolting in and grabbing an armful and running to the change room. The key to my success… placing the right sized ones in a certain spot on the table the day before.

6 Likes

I’m sure you would have looked good in them too, Doe!

2 Likes

.19c pantyhose? What did they cost when not on sale?

i think they were either 49 or 99 cents

maybe 49

never did ladies pantyhose

I hate stockings.

That’s a significant saving.

Plenty here in Shepparton.

1 Like

Havent people heard of ebay?

1 Like

Not as bad as the savings on Loganberry Jam back in the 60’s. My mum made me make about 3 walks up to Fitzroy St and back to buy the limit (2 cans) of loganberry jam at 1/3 (12 cents decimal) a can.

It was a looxury item at the original price.

Aldi is farking brilliant for everyday shopping, as long as you stay away from the special buys stuff completely. We cut our grocery bill in half by shopping at Aldi /QVM (for fruit/vegies), as opposed to shopping at Coles.

@SMJ hates special buys. Must be an LNP voter, too. GET Him!

Their Eye Fillet Steak is fantastic, the $40kg one.

But you gotta treat it right before, during and after you cool it.

What, take it out to dinner first?

1 Like

I’ve been skiing a few times in Adelaide at Mt. Thebarton. It was a looong time ago though. I think climate change killed it.

I took the family up to Warburton for the weekend for my son’s birthday (he wanted to try out the new swag he got). Friday night we remembered the Aldi sale was on and we wanted to get a new jacket for the boy as he is growing like a weed and there is no way he would fit his jacket from the last few years. We googled the closest Aldi and tootled off to Seville, arriving at about 8:15am with the grand total of two people already waiting. By the time they opened the doors there were maybe 40-50 people there. Nice and orderly, grabbed the boy’s jacket with no fuss and had a look at the other stuff at our leisure. Bought some more socks and thermals for the kids and some snow boots for the wife and then headed back to Warburton for a lovely weekend around the campfire.

It seemed there was more stock this year (I remember getting my snowboard jacket about 4 years ago and it was the only XXL in that design in the store), and less people going for the adults gear. My wife mentioned this morning there was heaps of stuff left at the Eltham Aldi this morning as well. The kids jackets and pants always go quickly because they need to be upsized every few years, but I think the demand for adults gear is less this year and last year.

I also noticed the Decathlon, Aus-ski and Melbourne Snowboard Company sale ads on the radio this week in competition with Aldi. People like to bag the Aldi gear, but I’ve been in Aldi Jacket, pants and thermals for snowboarding for a number of years now and have never had to complain. If it means saving a few hundred dollars that can be spent elsewhere, I’m all for it. And if it wears out earlier than other gear (which has only happened with $15 gloves so far), it only costs $60 to replace the main items, instead of $250.

And Digs, if you’re relying on being able to spot your kids from a distance when they’re wearing Aldi gear, good luck. It looks like the ski schools are exclusively sponsored by Aldi these days.

1 Like