The Astronomy Thread

Are the jovian moons to the right as we view them? Or am i viewing the totally wrong thing, lol? (8x bino's only).
You're right, unlike binoculars reflectors invert the image. I saw 3 in a bit of a cluster with one outrider, I think that's Callisto.

Ok, cool. I figured as much. I could count three in total, with one much further out.

On telescopes, i’m still weighing up a reflector v refractor. No question a Newtonian offers best value for dollars spent, but with light pollution in eastern melbourne i think the portability of a refractor would suit me better. And either way, its money i dont have right now. One day…

Are the jovian moons to the right as we view them? Or am i viewing the totally wrong thing, lol? (8x bino's only).

Don’t you have a bigger lens on your camera? Why not use that?

I have a 500mm lens which is a size bigger, yes. ( 10x vs 8x for the bino’s) but both it and the tripod are packed away and i couldnt be arsed getting them out. Maybe tonight.

In my ‘dream home’ i’ve always had an observatory. Maybe I can pick up a Masters site cheap.

In my 'dream home' i've always had an observatory. Maybe I can pick up a Masters site cheap.

We had one at school when I was a kid.
Pretty impressive things.
And fun.

You can probably all go talk to one of my old tutors from Uni, Barry “fantastipenis” Adcock, he’s head of the melbourne observatory (or used to be).

You can probably all go talk to one of my old tutors from Uni, Barry "fantastipenis" Adcock, he's head of the melbourne observatory (or used to be).

One of these 12 inch aperture braggers, I assume?

A 12’ aperture?? Geebers!! You’d need a whole foot to fill that!

A 12' aperture?? Geebers!! You'd need a whole foot to fill that!

Yeah. the irony isn’t lost on me. Not only could you be accused of overcompensating for something but also of using expensive equipment to find it.

Best i could do With Jupiter and four visible moons.

Heavily heavily cropped, lol. Shot with 500mm sigma.

Not sure but i think the star to left and down is Regulus?

Sensational work Sal.

If i have time - and the sky is clear- i’ll try again tonight but this time i’ll see if i can get some actual colour in Jupiter by not over exposing. But It means the moons will probably be very faint, if visible at all.

This is my main interest in getting a scope, it should allow some interesting photo work.

Great pic!

If i have time - and the sky is clear- i'll try again tonight but this time i'll see if i can get some actual colour in Jupiter by not over exposing. But It means the moons will probably be very faint, if visible at all.

This is my main interest in getting a scope, it should allow some interesting photo work.

Same here, actually. Yet to do the research into that on specific scopes. I know there are various camera attachments out there though.

If i have time - and the sky is clear- i'll try again tonight but this time i'll see if i can get some actual colour in Jupiter by not over exposing. But It means the moons will probably be very faint, if visible at all.

Same here, actually. Yet to do the research into that on specific scopes. I know there are various camera attachments out there though.

To get the colour without overexposing and clarity really requires a tracking telescope. Earth moves too quick otherwise.

Still one of my most favourite photos. Imagine holding up a 5c piece to the sky and having a really really long exposure and this is what you get.

There are approximately 10,000 galaxies in this photo.

To get the colour without overexposing and clarity really requires a tracking telescope. Earth moves too quick otherwise.

The motion bit is absolutely true. But a tracking mount is not part of the over exposure issue. Tracking allows even longer ahutter speeds without creating ‘star trails’.

Still one of my most favourite photos. Imagine holding up a 5c piece to the sky and having a really really long exposure and this is what you get.

There are approximately 10,000 galaxies in this photo.

Magnificent isn’t it. Bejeweled night sky.

The motion bit is absolutely true. But a tracking mount is not part of the over exposure issue. Tracking allows even longer ahutter speeds without creating ‘star trails’.

You’re right! It’s actually the opposite.

You can probably all go talk to one of my old tutors from Uni, Barry "fantastipenis" Adcock, he's head of the melbourne observatory (or used to be).

One of these 12 inch aperture braggers, I assume?

B Adcock = BAdcock = goodcock = fantastipenis

Really nice dude, very down to earth and really good at explaining control systems 3 (no mean feat)

Best i could do With Jupiter and four visible moons.

Heavily heavily cropped, lol. Shot with 500mm sigma.

Not sure but i think the star to left and down is Regulus?

At first I thought, “Wow, look at all the stars!” but then I wiped the screen and it was just dust. Seriously. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed.