The Beer Thread

50% of the market now with the purchase of Balter. Quite a stable of craft now. Balter, PL, 4 Pines (faux craft), Mountain Goat, Green Beacon. I wonder who’s next… Bentspoke will look pretty appealing I reckon.

The US has provided good foresight for the mid-sized guys - cash in during the bubble or struggle when the slow growth inevitably comes.

1 Like

Yep.

Japanese companies are sitting on an extraordinary $USD 5 trillion in cash (> 500 trillion yen). In a competitive & mature market, they have little choice but to go on the acquisition trail to provide future growth. And I wholeheartedly agree with you - high time our stores are stocked floor to ceiling with beer choices.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying I wouldn’t do it. You’d be mad not to cash in. But like you said about PL, I don’t drink it anymore because of selling up. I’d rather give my cash to the independent outfits.

I’d don’t not drink PL because they sold, in fact I still do drink some PL stuff, but not much on account of the shotty storage and distribution of the product. It sits in distribution centres, loading docks and warehouses in the sun without being properly looked after and inevitably is spoiled. That and the stock is often very old by the time it gets to the consumer. On the occasion I can find fresh cans of IPA or Mosaic I’ll pick them up. If they can their Nitro Coffee stout I’ll definitely be on the look out for it, that ■■■■ is mothers milk.

But each to their own of course and wanting to support independents and in doing so keep the profits in Aus is certainly as good a reason as any.

1 Like

The majority of the time, core range stuff in pack from breweries that have sold is done by the big guys and anything in keg keeps coming out of the original brewery. Buy independent in pack and you can usually get beers that you’ve enjoyed in their original format on tap if you really want those beers.

1 Like

I was told by somebody connected to PL that the he believed the first thing to change there was that keg production moved to Abbotsford. Not sure if there was any truth to it. You’d hope that given the huge new brewery they haven’t had to move too much elsewhere.

Pointed.

2 Likes

Glad to see yours looks like that as well! I pulled off a tube for a SG test yesterday and I was worried it might be a bit too cloudy. Bottling tomorrow also.

Also how often are you brewing? With a wait time of nearly 6 weeks it doesn’t seem smart to wait till I finish all the first lot to get the bottles before brewing again.

We probably brew every ~6 weeks or so. But my brewing partner and I split batches so there’s half as much beer. When we bottle we usually put a 2nd batch on straight away. Your turn around should be a lot less than 6wks. 2 weeks to get to bottling and if you don’t chill then there’s should absolutely be enough yeast in the bottle to carbonate in a week. It’ll get better over a few subsequent weeks but absolutely should be drinking after 7-10 days.

Fermenting under pressure means you can do it quicker, and using certain kinds of yeast. We could easily do a brew on Kveik yeast (Norwegian farmhouse yeast that’s just coming into prevalence Australia, tolerated higher temp and ferments very quickly) at 35psi and it’ll be done and drinkable in ~4-5 days.

My advise is that you want enough bottles for one batch of beer and empties for a second batch at the same time, that way you’ve got ample turnaround if you get the urge to put another brew on. Or kegs. Kegs are better, get a kegerator and kegs.

2 Likes

Oh and haze is yeast and hop haze still in suspension. If you don’t chill your brew then it’s still gonna have significant haze if you’ve got any decent amount of hop matter in it. Which it should. :wink:

1 Like

This was day 4. Absolutely smashable. Very enjoyable.

Now I know I’ve probably brought about some sort of Xmas bad luck but this is day 6. Yeah I know I’ve jumped ahead but work beckons for the next few nights. Anyway, this was delicious. Just a hint of apricot and at 3.5% could knock a few back in the hot sun watching some croquet. (Have never watched it just for the record).

Day 5 is next and it looks gooooood.

5 Likes

Yes a second set of bottles, that is the conclusion I came to as well, or at least a half set and brew again when half this first lot are empty. This is a bit more internal storage space than I expected!

So although my recipe says 4 weeks bottle conditioning I can start to drink earlier - when it looks like carbonation has finished?

Looks interesting @Klawdy - I regret not getting one of these advent boxes and they seem to be all sold now.

They’re good fun Colonel. I usually like to buy 2 of the 1 beer so I get a good feel for it, but I think that might be pushing the relationship a bit with Mrs. K asking for 2 calendars.

1 Like

Belgian brown with sour cherry. No head or beer flavour I recognise, just sour cherry with lots of acid. Not my bag.

1 Like

Pretty sure Beer Cartel still have some, jump on and have a look, think they’re going cheapish.

1 Like

Yep. Assuming you just use regular sugar for priming bottles and you haven’t chilled the beer it’ll definitely be finished carbing in about 10 days. Bottle carbonation is no different to the normal fermentation process. Remaining yeast ferments the sugar you put in the bottle producing CO2 which is retained in the beer as it has nowhere to go in the sealed bottle. Bottle priming will increase the alc % by about .5 as the sugar is fermented.

I’ve drink bottles after ~7 days, they get better but they’re definitely carbed and drinkable after 10. Make sure you store them at fermentation temp though, 19-22c.

1 Like

Being reported the Balter sale was 150-200mill. Everyone has a price and that’s well and truly above most peoples.

1 Like

■■■■■■■ jeepers.

Lot of that will be tied up in debt acquisition but holy ■■■■■■■ hell!

Website Design