The Beer Thread

What, that sounds pretty good, Are they hiring at that place?

At my local last night and saw they had a new tap beer on. It was Great Northern Lager. Tried it. Horrible, generic, tasteless pish. One to avoid.

Yeah thatā€™s one of those $13 a six pack type arrangements.
Fish on the label, I think.

If you are an engineer , yes.

Few shots : http://stoneandwood.com.au/surfarigoldcoast/

Terrible afternoon yesterday, Stone n Wood rocked up to my brothers friends industrial lot at Miami with a converted Jeep housing kegs/taps of Pacific Ale, Cloud Catcher, Garden Ale and Lager. Plus a smokehouse BBQ food truck , surf movies and a few bands.

Cloud Catcher is maybe one the best unfiltered beers Iā€™ve ever tasted. Balls deep fruity and but not over hopped. If you see it, try it.

Stone'n'Wood go alright. They're steadfast in their message that they'll never sell out too, despite being many people's tip that they'll follow that path the likes of Mountain Goat have taken. Gotta respect their ethos.
Cold months I tend to gravitate towards dark ales and stouts. I know most have heard of it by now but in case you haven't do yourself a favor and pick up one of these from Dan Murphy's this weekend. Smokey, rich, liquid velvet. Not your chugging type of beer.

Have you tried Holgateā€™s Temptress?

I have. Few years ago at The Holgate. Think it was with a slow cooked lamb shank. Sensational. They also had a great red ale by some name I canā€™t recall.

Laying down my first brew in years after work. Just a stock standard Coopers tin in a plastic vat set up. I do have a few old stainless kegs in the shed which I plan on converting into a brew from scratch set up one day but this will suffice for now. One Euro larger and one draught. Going to use bottles to begin with. Ultimate goal is to keg and convert a small fridge with a tap on the side.

Then again, the more serious I get the more I could kill myself doing thisā€¦

Terrible afternoon yesterday, Stone n Wood rocked up to my brothers friends industrial lot at Miami with a converted Jeep housing kegs/taps of Pacific Ale, Cloud Catcher, Garden Ale and Lager. Plus a smokehouse BBQ food truck , surf movies and a few bands.

Cloud Catcher is maybe one the best unfiltered beers Iā€™ve ever tasted. Balls deep fruity and but not over hopped. If you see it, try it.

Stone'n'Wood go alright. They're steadfast in their message that they'll never sell out too, despite being many people's tip that they'll follow that path the likes of Mountain Goat have taken. Gotta respect their ethos.
Pacific Ale goes alright.

I actually dont mind Atomic at the moment, Gage is owned by woolies, so I feel a bit dirty but it does hit my taste buds OK

Best Authentic craft brew in Australia. But I must declare and interest here

Can you get the Burleigh Brewery stuff in Vic? I think the do Fig Jam.

Going there tomorrow night for Brewhouse Jams (music/foodtrucks/beer)

According to here you can get in bottles from Dan Murphyā€™s, First Choice, Vintage Cellars, BWS or Liquorland stores. Also try Slow Beer ā€“ 468 Bridge Road, Richmond.

http://burleighbrewing.com.au/outlets/

If you are an engineer , yes.

Few shots : http://stoneandwood.com.au/surfarigoldcoast/

Iā€™m job hunting and managed to miss this nugget. DAMN.

Yes. Dan's normally have at least the 28 & bighead, sometimes the others.

Thanks guys.

One of the best things to come out of QLD

Almost a week now since Iā€™ve bottled both brews. Let them settle a while past any obvious fermentation. Apparently this develops flavor. Got a bit spooked when my uncle, whom I borrowed a rather impressive bottle capper from, upon hearing this said ā€œā– ā– ā– ā–  no, donā€™t leave it that long! It could go bad!ā€ Bottled the whole lot that night. 56 long necks worth. Both brews looked a real nice colour and had an enticing aroma. Will sample one tomorrow night to see how itā€™s coming along. The obligatory 2 weeks bottle time will be here just before Christmas in time for a couple of sessions with mates, a boating/camping trip with the old man and a few spontaneous Christmas presents. Then thereā€™s the boxing day test.

Hmm, maybe iā€™d better get another brew started this weekendā€¦

Almost a week now since I've bottled both brews. Let them settle a while past any obvious fermentation. Apparently this develops flavor. Got a bit spooked when my uncle, whom I borrowed a rather impressive bottle capper from, upon hearing this said "ā– ā– ā– ā–  no, don't leave it that long! It could go bad!" Bottled the whole lot that night. 56 long necks worth. Both brews looked a real nice colour and had an enticing aroma. Will sample one tomorrow night to see how it's coming along. The obligatory 2 weeks bottle time will be here just before Christmas in time for a couple of sessions with mates, a boating/camping trip with the old man and a few spontaneous Christmas presents. Then there's the boxing day test.

Hmm, maybe iā€™d better get another brew started this weekendā€¦

Why would it go bad? Iā€™d recommend leaving them longer. By all means have a taste after 2-3 weeks, but every brew I made tastes better the longer it ages in bottle.

What type of plastic vat/fermenter do you use? 56 x 0.750 litres = 42 litres. Thatā€™s an impressive batch size, I use a 30 litre fermenter.

Hmm, maybe i'd better get another brew started this weekend...

Definitely! Get a rolling stock going.

Oh wait - 56 bottles is for two batches not one?

While Iā€™m in here, I should give a plug to a couple of favourites from the Clare Valley:

http://clarevalleybrewing.com.au/product/miss-molly-malone/

When Iā€™m back in the country next Feb, Iā€™m super keen to try Pirate Life. Iā€™ve heard that their Pale Ale and 2IPA are the business. Anyone tried them?