The Beer Thread

Don’t like beer in cans unless I’m playing beach cricket, so had to decant this one. No tasting notes, just a great big beer, bitter as too. Would def drink again.

Is that the pale ale? So good I filled my suitcase with it and the IIPA last time I visited.

I’m a savage, so Efes Efes Efes it has been this week.

Is that the pale ale? So good I filled my suitcase with it and the IIPA last time I visited.

Yes it is.

Got another one too but it’s still on ice.

I’m finding some of these IPAs are so big on flavour, one is enough!

Geez, bought This last week, another great brew. These are only small cans, but I’m sure the label said 2.4 drinks per can but checking online looks like it’s only 3.8%. Great taste and a bit of a buzz nonetheless.

Anyone like actual beer?

That you know, …tastes like beer ?

If I want a wine, cider, choc milkshake, iced coffee, or fking Tequila, I’ll have one, I don’t need to blend my beer with it to enjoy beer.

Beer is good, they should just make beer to be beer! The hipsters are giving beer an identity crisis!!

Fkn hipsters … Leave beer alone!!!

Rant over,… as you were. Anyone want a beer?

I guess its good to have varioations, I was never a fan of the beers till my son started to make them, when you settle into, its hard if not impossible to go back to bland tasteles beers that have no flavour. Nothng better than tucking into a nice pale or IPA and some savoury snacks to go with it. I love a quiet tasty beer with either seafood, or snacks like salami, chilli and garlic olives and some strong cheeses

Yeah, I brewed my own for years and will definitely get some down again this year for the summer sip. I like some of the craft brewers beers, but I wouldn’t buy them in quantity at the price, not when I can make 'em at a poofteenth of the cost.

Found a good one tonight, … if anyone’s looking for a “Driving” beer BTW.

Mid at 3.2, … would challenge anyone to pick it if they were unaware.

Small Ale. Criterion brewery?? IIRC. Ripper. In the Little Creatures mold.

I haven’t drunk a Carlton beer for years … other than Draught at the footy. It’s the only place any big brewer beer get’s a run, (other than imported’s)

Somehow anything else at a game just doesn’t feel right, and it’s surprising how good it tastes at times, actually becomes the new beer in a way, after all the hoppy stuff, but that would perhaps change if I went every week.

This is what currently graces the home fridge, a good winter drop.

http://www.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/products/075291.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Not quite sure what that means? lol.

That Small Ale Mid, was from Colonial brewing Co.

I nearly didn’t try it cause they only had it in a tin, but poured into a glass, you wouldn’t know it had.

This is it…

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5383edbbe4b085f9cb15eed4/5514c243e4b0ac69ef6080a6/5514d049e4b00e32840da4ed/1427427419110/colonialcan-web.jpg?format=1000w

Not sure what happened to my post, but I tried to buy this very distinctly labeled can from memory. Managed to end up with the wrong one x 2.

Just to be clear, I’m only buying and drinking 1-2 of these a week.

really are they doing this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68nZTKAbgnyM1VmR2htZm0zM2M/view?usp=sharing

Carlton Pale Ale? It’d wanna be good because they are way late in coming to the party. But you know it’s gonna be water with the faintest trace of hop aroma.
It might work against them and become a gateway beer for some folk not into craft but who then transition to better ales, like a Little Creatures or Stone & Wood.

It’s that time of year when all the Oktoberfest biers hit the shelves over here.
Oktoberfest bier is a little stronger than the regular 5% stuff I normally drink in case you’re not familiar.

My personal fav is Hacker-Pschorr coming in at 5.8%, it’s amber in colour and a bit more malty than others. I buy a case every year.
Very surprisingly Löwenbraü is not that bad when it comes the Oktoberfest biers. The stuff they export to Australia is poor.
HB is not so great I find.

Anybody coming over this year?

So local brewer Bolta (project from a few rich surfers) pinched the head brewer from Stone n Wood.

Tried their attempt at Pacific Ale last week. Tastes like a bad attempt at Pacific Ale.

Thoughts on Moose Head? I fkn love it. Cheap too.

This article is a bit old (2012) and from NZ, but explains a lot about why Australia and NZ are getting destroyed by taxes on beer. It ain’t hipsters jacking up prices:

Tried this one based on the reviews here. Didn’t really grab me, most interesting thing was the can opening being kind of massive. Not sure I enjoy paying so much for beer in a can. Should be cheaper to make, ship, store, and I enjoy drinking out of a bottle, not decanting. Anyway, couple to try tonight.

Tried this one based on the reviews here. Didn't really grab me, most interesting thing was the can opening being kind of massive. Not sure I enjoy paying so much for beer in a can. Should be cheaper to make, ship, store, and I enjoy drinking out of a bottle, not decanting. Anyway, couple to try tonight.

Wait, what? It opens like that?!

What’s with all the funky can designs?

Yep. Big ole ring pull. Thought The Melbourne bitter ‘turbo can’ ring pull was the biggest, this things mad.

Sort of ok, makes it like you’re drinking out of a cup/glass. But it has a lip thing that gets in the way.

Would be interesting trying to shotgun one.

What's with all the funky can designs?

Confuse the hell out of people. Some of the ingredients are getting mental too, so I’m not sure what people’s taste buds are doing.

So, this ones pretty good. From memory, the Pirates Life stuff has been pretty good, and I think it’s Aussie (so why the high price tag?)

1 Like