The Beer Thread

Yeah, not sure about that large can opening. Neither here nor there.

Aussie beer cops mark ups and taxes all along the chain, from production materials to packaging to distro to an excise on alcohol content. It’s really unfair and hurts these breweries that are great at creating jobs, often in rural areas. You can buy a 4 or 6 pack of good IIPA in the US for the same price of one can of Pirate Life IIPA here. It’s criminal.

Why so dear?? All of this new hipster craft stuff is dear as poison.

“New & latest, more hip than hip” sucker margin, plus Govt Tax = Fk that.

As a reference, I recently put down a Coopers pale, with some extras in addition to the wort, and it will cost about 20 cents per stubbie, and if it turns out as normal, a beer I would drink before most of what I can buy.

Also put down another from the Muntons connoisseurs range, that will be about 32 cents per stubbie, and again, nothing I could buy would be better to drink.

This beer fad thing is just the latest thing to be trendied up to milk cash from a serious media hype campaign.

If you really like a beer, and you don’t home brew, you are literally, in the purest sense of the old saying, really ■■■■■■■ your money against a wall. Except now the wall is lined with greedy hipsters pockets.

Hipsters being absolute profiteers, … ridiculously ironic, eh?

Brewing is also fun. No point doing it here though, 'tis cheap and wonderful. I even got some freebies to take home from a beer fest on Sunday. And a big branch of Hops. I love fresh Hops, it smells awesome and looks cool. I have it all through the apartment at the moment, the wife is very pleased :wink:

Some of my lovely Hops

I can also go a little overboard with my purchasing, but these are all different Styles of beer.

Helles Lager, Pilsener, Weißbier, Oktoberfest Märzen

Ahh, Märzen time!

Here in Japan, the whole beer industry is basically based on German styles. Every small brewer puts out the same base trio - Pils, Hefeweizen, and Dunkel (or maybe an Irish stout instead). Some brewers make such good ones they match the heavyweights of Germany. It’s great, I love those styles.

As a reference, I recently put down a Coopers pale, with some extras in addition to the wort, and it will cost about 20 cents per stubbie, and if it turns out as normal, a beer I would drink before most of what I can buy.

Also put down another from the Muntons connoisseurs range, that will be about 32 cents per stubbie, and again, nothing I could buy would be better to drink.

This beer fad thing is just the latest thing to be trendied up to milk cash from a serious media hype campaign.

If you really like a beer, and you don’t home brew, you are literally, in the purest sense of the old saying, really ■■■■■■■ your money against a wall. Except now the wall is lined with greedy hipsters pockets.

Mainstream brewers make fairly tasteless beer on a very large scale to appease the masses. Craft beer goes out to the boundaries and some and tries to create new flavours and even creates new styles. Usually small businesses they dont have the massive multi million dollar bank rolls to be able to push out massive amounts of beer at a smaller margin.
Plus if you visit a craft beer bar inside it’s brewery there you might notice are absent:

TAB
Pokies
Bogans
Cheap drunks

True about beer lovers making their own and plenty do. True its dearer, But sometimes, like a restaurant, I would rather pay more for better quality and better taste. Fad? Not so sure, XXXX and now carlton are doing a pale ale. You have dan murphy with their complete range of fake craft beer, that means it’s having a big impact. This industry is quite massive in the states.
My son and 2 of his mates created a brand and started out gypsy brewing, and worked very hard for about 2 years while saving enough money to get their own brewery and bar. Hipsters? possibly on the fringe although 2 of them are skaters, greedy? No way, they all worked very had worked for 2 years for practically no wages, to build and create their dream and vision.

BRAINS.

From hipsters to Hillbillys. Out of northcote for the day, down at Apollo Bay.

This ones not my ideal beer, quite fizzy, and you can almost taste the alcohol. The real win with this was that they had a 50% off special on the beers right beside these ones, but the young fella behind the counter hooked me up anyway.

Haven’t been here for 20 years, always thought it was a hole and the locals were a bit feral (the local footy team is brown and gold and is the Hawks), maybe I was wrong.

More hillbilly madness. This ones really good. Not too gassy, plenty more bitter, plenty more flavour. Would drink again.

Mainstream brewers make fairly tasteless beer on a very large scale to appease the masses. Craft beer goes out to the boundaries and some and tries to create new flavours and even creates new styles. Usually small businesses they dont have the massive multi million dollar bank rolls to be able to push out massive amounts of beer at a smaller margin.
Plus if you visit a craft beer bar inside it’s brewery there you might notice are absent:

TAB
Pokies
Bogans
Cheap drunks

True about beer lovers making their own and plenty do. True its dearer, But sometimes, like a restaurant, I would rather pay more for better quality and better taste. Fad? Not so sure, XXXX and now carlton are doing a pale ale. You have dan murphy with their complete range of fake craft beer, that means it’s having a big impact. This industry is quite massive in the states.
My son and 2 of his mates created a brand and started out gypsy brewing, and worked very hard for about 2 years while saving enough money to get their own brewery and bar. Hipsters? possibly on the fringe although 2 of them are skaters, greedy? No way, they all worked very had worked for 2 years for practically no wages, to build and create their dream and vision.

I hear that, and big up’s to them, it’s a booming market trend, and hard work generally pays off.

I’ll get back to you on this, and answer sans overhyped semi comic rant mode, coz I’ve been happily at a few at the Local GF today, and it was all garbage beer, Carlton Dry was top choice!

But, they certainly didn’t need some super triple hopped artisanal heritage barley thing with a kooky name.

Just a Coopers Sparkling & maybe their pale would have sufficed. :confused:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/brewart-beerdroid.html?CAWELAID=720013240000273384&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3juEgF3q2RYkdwsQ7zy6JOKDQIfqPoDOm39fYmb8VHwaAkkO8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interested?

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/brewart-beerdroid.html?CAWELAID=720013240000273384&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3juEgF3q2RYkdwsQ7zy6JOKDQIfqPoDOm39fYmb8VHwaAkkO8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interested?

On first glance, it lacks a bit of soul. But if I had the dosh, I would consider trying the Williams Warn.

http://www.williamswarn.com/

Plus 10 litres - meh.

30-60 litres - now we’re talking.

Ok:
Coopers Pale Ale or James Squire one fifty lashes?

Ok: Coopers Pale Ale or James Squire one fifty lashes?

cricketers arms IPA. Which isn’t an IPA by the way.

Plus 10 litres - meh.

30-60 litres - now we’re talking.

I don’t think I can be trusted with 30 to 60 ltrs

It’s the thermomix of home brewing.

Back in the mid 90’s I had a window of opportunity to get into craft brewing, and again in 2000.

Would be epic to be sitting back now reaping the rewards, but would’ve had one foot in the grave already.

It's the thermomix of home brewing.

Back in the mid 90’s I had a window of opportunity to get into craft brewing, and again in 2000.

Would be epic to be sitting back now reaping the rewards, but would’ve had one foot in the grave already.

??

So you don’t have one foot in the grave now?

Soz. I must be a bit dense.