The Beer Thread

I reckon I had that Franzeskaner before in San Francisco on tap. Very good, but from memory the yanks put a piece of orange in it!?

I really rate Paulaner Hefe. Easy to drink lots too.

I’ve heard of the Yanks putting fruit in. Maybe it comes from Blue Moon or something. I think most people tell em to stick it now, just give me the beer.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of weißbeer, but I do love the size of the glasses it usually comes in

I usually have a wei after I drink beer

I find that the best Weißbier doesn’t come from Munich, but more so from the surrounding areas. Some of the best are:
Weihenstephaner (30 mins north, near the airport)
Andechs (a monastery to the south)
Hopf (small town to the south)
Ayinger (small town to the south)

I don’t think you’ll find these in the 5L kegs though. Best chance would be Franzeskaner.

For the 6 Munich breweries, they all focus on Helles(bright) Lager, and most of the breweries in Bavaria make either really good Lager or really good Weißbier, rarely both. Some only do one or the other.

I’d rate the Munich lagers:
Augustiner
Spaten
HofbrÀu
Hacker Pschorr
Paulana
LöwenbrÀu

Franzeskaner is made by Spaten brewery.

IMO Augustiner is the best by a mile. I think it’s the most popular, and as far as I know they don’t export it since they refuse to add anything to it for export. At home I usually drink the Helles Lager from Maxlrainer, which comes from a regional town next to a castle, and I live a little bit outside Munich now.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of weißbeer, but I do love the size of the glasses it usually comes in

It’s a bit of an aquired taste I reckon, although some people will never love it. I drink it about the same amount as Lager.

I reckon I had that Franzeskaner before in San Francisco on tap. Very good, but from memory the yanks put a piece of orange in it!?

You wont find fruit directly added here. But sometimes you can buy half Wießbier half Banana juice. I didn’t even know Banana juice was a thing until I tried it
 and it’s not good!

Otherwise it’s really popular to go half half with Lemonade. Called a Russian/Russn. Or half half with Coke! Either called a Cola Weizn or sometimes an “N word”. It’s actually really nice, trust me, and can be a good option if you need a caffeine hit.

Just tried Spaten.

Nope didn’t like it.

Distinctly German, and there was a time and place I could love drinking this. I can’t describe the taste that I don’t like, maybe it’s the sweetness V’s a pale ale. Didn’t even bother finishing it.

Also
Just tried
Hacker Pschorr
Liked it better than the Spaten, but didn’t really do much for me. Don’t think I’ll bother finishing this one.

Have a Scotch Ale in there that I know I’m going to like, so let see what happens

What do you mean by not bothering to finish it :confused:

Plus, bit of a warning on exports. They do put in additives which affects the taste. eg. Pilsner Urquell is probably the best beer I’ve ever had (in Pilsen). Exported in the bottle it’s not great (but I would finish every drop)

So, I drank about half the bottle and then thought I’d rather get a different one to try. Clearly they’re imports, and taste more like a generic Aussie beer, almost sickly sweet though. I just couldn’t be bothered finishing it.

And I agree 100% with you on the Pilsener Urquell, heck I even took my GF back to Czech Rep ‘so we could get engaged’, but I still reckon it tastes gods enough as an import to AU.

Wild Yak is better than Stone and Wood!

Unfiltered Pilsner Urquell is supposed to be the bomb. Never got to try it when in Czech though.

Weihenstephaner is as good as weißbier gets. It’s easy to get in Oz, but not sure how well it’s cared for by the importer nor how fresh it is.

I feel like Cartman when he saw the family with bums for faces and laughed so hard he blew a laugh fuse
I just tried a sip of a third beer and it just doesnt grab me, looks like I’m done in this thread.

Yeah I think Stone and Wood is bland.

Yeah I think Stone and Wood is bland.

Try some Cement

Ok, I’m back. It’s been a ridiculous week.

Thornbury local, high st Thornbury.

Got their own Pilsner on tap, it’s called Thornbury Lager, whatevs.

Anyway, it’s perfect.

Ok, I'm back. It's been a ridiculous week.

Thornbury local, high st Thornbury.

Got their own Pilsner on tap, it’s called Thornbury Lager, whatevs.

Anyway, it’s perfect.

Is it this one?

Yep, that’s it.

Was more about the week that was, the beer was just to cap it off, but definitely finalised the glass and would’ve had another but my fish and chips were ready.

First brew came out pretty good, very happy with the flavour, it was a very hoppy APA. Head retention was a little sad, hear was a bit sudsy and didnt last lon, I may have gone a bit hard on the sanitizer in the bottles when I bottled, although there are many reasons it could have been. but taste colour clarity and alcohol content was spot on. Very happy with my first beer. I have another Pale with different hops for the next one already in the fermenter and chilling away.

https://goo.gl/photos/CRCPL7RqBCt8kruj7

Second Brew came out really nice too, a pale, and it tatsted good to me, I have an american hoppy red ale in the fermenter now. Going to put 3-4 bottles out of each batch now for a beer cellar, so I have a few different styles to use later. Im told if stored correctly that they can last for months, even longer and get better with more time. I read that some of the dark beers are bet left for up to 6 months in the bottle. God that will take some discipline.

I find that the best Weißbier doesn't come from Munich, but more so from the surrounding areas. Some of the best are: Weihenstephaner (30 mins north, near the airport) Andechs (a monastery to the south) Hopf (small town to the south) Ayinger (small town to the south)

I don’t think you’ll find these in the 5L kegs though. Best chance would be Franzeskaner.

For the 6 Munich breweries, they all focus on Helles(bright) Lager, and most of the breweries in Bavaria make either really good Lager or really good Weißbier, rarely both. Some only do one or the other.

I’d rate the Munich lagers:
Augustiner
Spaten
HofbrÀu
Hacker Pschorr
Paulana
LöwenbrÀu

Franzeskaner is made by Spaten brewery.

IMO Augustiner is the best by a mile. I think it’s the most popular, and as far as I know they don’t export it since they refuse to add anything to it for export. At home I usually drink the Helles Lager from Maxlrainer, which comes from a regional town next to a castle, and I live a little bit outside Munich now.

No love for Fischer’s here???