The Beer Thread

I enjoyed a great orange beer(saison) and a plum beer(gose) from a WA mob called “beer farm”

Ever see their booze I reckon worth a go.

4 Likes

■■■■■■■ great beer The Dawn.

1 Like

Being a NEIPA it hides the alcohol well. Delicious.

1 Like

Calendar arrived on Friday. keen.

1 Like

I do like a good Gose. Blackmans did a blackberry one which was one of the best I’ve had.

It seems Australia does Gose beer more than just about anywhere. I was stunned how many were around last time I was back. I guess the refreshing qualities suit the climate and palates. Berliner Weisses as well.

sours a big thing in the states at the moment, or at least last summer. Mate of mine was swimming in them there were so many!

The fads at the moment are still NEIPA’s and more recently Brut IPA’s. Double IPA’s and Brut IPA’s doing the rounds as well.

Yeah Japan is all NEIPAs and Bruts. Unfortunately Belgian styles, barrel, foeders etc. are not done so much here. I think lacking a healthy local wine culture can influence that. You get some kettle sours though.

Sours and Gose are what I drink if the option is there.

Australia has a long way to go to match the beer diversity of say the US or Europe, where pubs/bars even in small hick towns and the burbs are getting great variety.

I think our beer distribution is all wrong. CUB or Lion Nathan shouldn’t be able to monopolise taps in bars.

And taxes are too high for bars to make a go of it. The profit margins on a pint in the US and a lot of Western Europe I think are much higher than in Oz. Too much of a schooner here goes to the government.

A smarter tax system would tax draft beer a lot less than packaged. At a bar you have responsible service of alcohol and a lot more Australians wages at stake.

Woah sorry for the rant.

Gose and Sours ales rock. As do sweeter Framboise lambics etc.

2 Likes

Brewers are constantly trying to garner support to get excise lowered. It’s a killer.

As for styles, saisons, lambics, imperial stouts, pilsners, IPAs would be my top 5 I guess.

No need to apologise, all of this is 100% correct. Having a population of ~300m helps. BrewDog are going to have a significant impact on the Aus craft market next year. Their move down under precipitated the sale of Pirate Life and we’re probably going to see further acquisitions as a result, Balter is my pick for buyout personally. Few of the smaller players may well find themselves in a bit of strife also I suggest.

I’m partial to a decent Saison, don’t go for a heap of sours though.

Anthony Albo is on board with their plight, whether or not he can achieve anything meaningful in the party room remains to be seen.

1 Like

Molly Meldrum* yourself a Sailors Grave Salt and Pepper Gose if you’ve not had it. You wont be disappointed. They do a few of them actually. And wild ferments etc.

Stomping Ground Watermelon Smash Gose is pretty nice although I’ve not been able to confirm if it is in fact a Single Malt And Single Hop (SMASH) or if they’ve just used the word in the name for the beer cause it sounds good.

*Do yourself a favour.

1 Like

I did try Stomping Ground’s Guava Smash the other week. That was pretty good. I’ll keep an eye out for the others.

The other I had recently was Blackman’s Escargose. It was more dry than their blackberry one but I did struggle a bit with the whole snail thing. Which is weird, cause I do like snails when they’re soaked in butter and garlic.

1 Like

Yeah I’m more coming from the profit margin for pubs on beer, think it would allow more smaller producers in.

FWIW excise is about 30% lower (full strength) on kegs, drink-for-drink.

I tried this one over the weekend. Fugly can but nice brew

1 Like

Well if that’s the case, why aren’t pubs just selling growlers like micro Brewers?

This is amazing.
Limited stock though.

1 Like

Fark me.

That is satire right?? Please tell me that’s not real.

Wine Wankers, & Coffee Tossers must be farking fuming, … they’ve got nothing on that well fermented toss.

It’s Beer.