The Beer Thread

Whatever have you that impression?! Haha

Getting myself set to see pig’s fly later tonight (Brighton to draw with City, Reds to beat Wolves & win the PL). Picked up a few cans of Yona Yona Ale from my local supermarket.

American style PA brewed in Nagano. Decent, without being overly interesting. Warm day today, so is going down quite well. Fruity & a bit of spice, but it dissipates fairly quickly. Not bad. I am a big fan of yuzu and reckon I can taste some in this beer.

Did I read somewhere that @CyberBomber had a few of these during his recent trip?

4 Likes

I did indeed visit Yona Yona Beerworks in Shinjuku, sampled 2 or 3 styles there, and subsequently had some of those nice yellow cans whence I happened upon them elsewhere. Another great experience of Nagano produce was the tavern (?) at the bottom of the walk to the monkey park:

2 Likes

And the Imperial Coffee Porter (yes, sp.) was particularly memorable

1 Like

Nice one, mate. I enjoy a good Porter, so will be sure to check out their other drops. Cheers.

That’s Shiga Kogen. Probably the best brewery in Japan. And you were lucky to get that coffee porter, it disappeared in the big cities really fast.

Wish me luck on the terrine blitz!!!

3 Likes

Had this gem tonight. I have to admit that it was probably wasted a bit because of a cold that I’ve got. Nevertheless I was pretty happy with it. I love their normal Sunset. And this just ramped the flavours and alcohol up with a big whack!

2 Likes

Been enjoying a few of these lately

1 Like

Just a tip @AnnStBomber, the custodian of the beer thread Uncle Chop Chop doesn’t rate 4 Pines beers.

I don’t mind them though. Especially the Kolsch.

I nearly picked up the Kolsch tonight but was wary on a new beer, will do next time. and at $18 for a six pack 4 pines is good value.

1 Like

Do you work at a brewery entered?

They finally did a tribute to Hawke at half time.

Without outing the brewery. Yes. Quite a well known one. But I’m work well outside of beer.

2 Likes

Any success tonight? (Without outing, of course)

1 Like

Yea

2 Likes

What about the terrine? Still have your stomach contents?

Grimbergen monks are brewing beer again — and at 10.8pc ABV, it’s not for the faint-hearted

Updated about 2 hours ago

Video: A new brewery will be built at the monastic complex near Brussels (Photo: Reuters). (ABC News)
It’s been a long time between drinks for monks at Grimbergen Abbey — more than 200 years, actually, if we’re getting into specifics.

The Belgian abbey was ransacked and had its brewery smashed in 1795 by French troops.

But a tradition of beer making that dated back to the 12th century will be revived with plans to build a new brewery at the monastic complex in Grimbergen, a town north of Brussels.

It won’t be for the faint-hearted, however — a beer is expected to contain about 10.8 per cent alcohol by volume (ABV).

“For us, it’s important to look to the heritage, to the tradition of the fathers for brewing beer because it was always here,” said Father Karel Stautemas, who will become one of five to six workers in the new brewery.

“Brewing and religious life always came together.”

The discovery of books detailing the original monks’ brewing methods has become a source of inspiration for the new microbrewery.

Norbertine Father Karel poses with a Grimbergen beer, symbolised by a phoenix. Photo: Each beer is expected to contain about 10.8 per cent alcohol by volume (ABV). (Reuters: Yves Herman)
Remarkably, the recipes were saved before the monastery was set alight in the 18th century — a group of quick-thinking fathers secretly removed the books from inside a library wall and put them into safe keeping.

“We had the books with the old recipes, but nobody could read them,” Father Stautemas told The Guardian.

"It was all in old Latin and old Dutch. So we brought in volunteers.

“We’ve spent hours leafing through the books and have discovered ingredient lists for beers brewed in previous centuries, the hops used, the types of barrels and bottles, and even a list of the actual beers produced centuries ago.”

Grimbergen’s monks will follow the rules of Belgium’s Trappist beer makers, even if they are not a Trappist order, requiring them to brew within the abbey walls, control the brewing and steer profits toward maintaining the abbey and supporting charitable causes.

Norbertine Father Karel marks a barrel of Grimbergen beer at the Belgian Abbey of Grimbergen. Photo: Grimbergen’s monks will follow the rules of Belgium’s Trappist beer makers. (Reuters: Yves Herman)
The abbey was founded in 1128 and has been tied to commercial brewers since the 1950s when local brewer Maes asked the monks to use the Grimbergen name and emblem on its “abbey beer”.

Marc-Antoine Sochon, an expert at Carlsberg who will be the project’s brewmaster, said the 10,000-hectolitre-per-year facility aimed to make limited edition versions of beer already brewed on a commercial scale under the Grimbergen name.

However, while the microbrewery hopes to pay homage to the original monks, Mr Sochon conceded 18th-century beer tasted a bit like “liquid bread” — so inevitably, the recipe will change.

“We will keep the same yeast, which will bring all the fruitiness and spiciness and we will start to dig into more innovations, such as barrel ageing, dry hopping,” he said.

It expects to produce its first ales in late 2020.

Norbertine Father Karel tastes a Grimbergen beer in the courtyard of the Belgian Abbey of Grimbergen. Photo: The brewery hopes to implement new innovations for its beer. (Reuters: Yves Herman)
Reuters/ABC

Topics: community-and-society, religion-and-beliefs, men-religious, religious-leaders, alcohol, belgium

First posted about 2 hours ago

3 Likes

“Brewing and religious life always came together.”

I knew it, every great song every great prophecy, every great idea was written by someone intoxicated.

Yay, a keg got tapped at a bar on my commute!

2 Likes