The Best 22 thread

i’m perfectly comfortable with him on those guys if the pressure up the field is on point. he reads the play very well and reads it in flight even better. he beats his opponent with positioning.

if memory serves hawkins totally destroyed stewart in that 2021 game down at geelong and ridley controlled him pretty well once he moved on to him

McBride should come in if we need a big body to Wrestle.
he is a competitor.
Noone else on the list could probably stand up against hawkins or McKay. Plus MCBride can go up in the ruck against Tommahawk too.
Pressure up field is the key though.

1 Like

Yeah, having Stewart on the list is great, and he is well worth the spot.

But his name doesn’t belong in this thread.

Stewart is a better kpf than Jones at this point and if required in a mix with Wright & Weideman (fwd/ruck) can also swing back as required so gives us more flexibility.

But I don’t believe they will play him ahead of Jones, Scott has indicated he wants to develop the youth properly.

That said Jones would want to get himself fit, stronger and extract the digit onfield or his development will be in the 2’s as it won’t be just Stewart but also Baldwin / Voss etc pressing. Party is over. Time to get serious.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d rate Stewart ahead of Jones at this point for sure hence I have him starting in the 22. He’s bigger, stronger and can hold his ground and bring the ball to ground more effectively than Jones. He’s also kicked 22 goals in a season something Jones has yet to do… I feel like with a fit and firing Stewart, the recruitment of Weideman and emergence of Voss young Jones may well be spending lots of time in the reserves developing in 2023

We should be prioritising the development of Jones. If he’s fit (which he wasn’t for the majority of the last season) he should play ahead of Stewart every single week.

2 Likes

Not if his form doesn’t warrant it. Logan McDonald has been dropped consistently by Sydney - sometimes development in the 2s can be just as beneficial for a young player.

Sure, I want Jones to every opportunity to play senior football. But if his performances mirror what he was doing late last year, i don’t want him anywhere near the starting 22.

4 Likes

Jones ahead of Stewart is a near certainty in my opinion. My only reservation is that I don’t know the preferences of the new coach.

The one I’m uncertain of is whether they play Weideman ahead of him.

I accept that Jones had a poor 2022. However he was one of the players I was most looking forward to watching at the start of the year. It didn’t happen for him this year. However that skillset hasn’t gone away. Another pre-season, some more confidence in the body, a better game plan, and I think we will see the kid have a much improved 2023. If he does, he will likely exceed anything Weideman has managed in his career.

IMO the only key forward guaranteed a spot is Wright

The rest can fight it out for the other 2 spots.
Weideman
Jones
VOSS
Baldwin
Stewart
Reid
Cox

and then you go with who is in form.
Its not that clear cut.

5 Likes

The development of Jones, Reid and Cox will decide how much our needle moves towards being a good side.

7 Likes

My only disagreement here is that Stringer can be one of those 2 spots.

Because I prefer a side with speed, I lock Stringer in as the 3rd tall forward (albeit starting in the centre and rotating forward during play). That leaves just the one spot.

1 Like

McDonald isn’t behind Stewart at Sydney and Sydney were trying to win a flag this year so the equation is very different.

Sure, if Jones’s form stinks others will be looked at. I just think he should start the year ahead of Stewart in the pecking order considering what stage we’re at with the list.

1 Like

Yeah it’s critically important.

They certainly don’t need to dominate next year, that’s unrealistic, but as fans we’d rightfully be a little nervy if they didn’t take obvious strides forward in season 2023.

I’m looking for physical development and also want to see them have plenty of ‘moments’ and put together a patch of a few games of footy where they exhibit their best attributes and signal just what they will become. If they need a run in the VFL throughout that’s fine too. But when they go back there they should be starting to be standouts at that level, not just merely blending in.

2 Likes

I prefer Stringer dominating in the middle and being the best player in the comp.
But Yeh - Stringer/Perkins mainly + Langford/Martin will be mediums rotating in forward line, plus 2 smalls - Guelfi /Tippa/ Wangas / Davey etc

As far as our key position players go I think Zerk & 2MP are locks as our bookends at full forward and full back.
Stewart is also lock IMO - I’d prefer him forward but dont mind him back either - his size, strength and experience are invaluable to our list at this point.

The spots in between are all up for grabs depending on form, opposition matchups, coaches preferences etc- Weideman, Jones, Cox & Reid all in the mix - possibly even Voss/Baldwin.
I think our spine will consist of a mixture of;-

Zerk
Stewart/Reid/Cox
Stringer/Shiel
Stewart/Weideman/Jones
2MP

He’s a soon to be 29 year old with 78 games who has never consistently produced the goods when played as a 1st or 2nd tall at either end. He is certainly not a long term proposition and he’s extremely lucky to have a two year deal

7 Likes

It wasn’t that long ago that some were expressing surprise that he even got a contract extension.

Mitch brown role.
5th/6th best tall at either end.

I don’t hate that he got a contract (given Brand was a wash and frang was traded) but 2 years is hard to justify.

2 Likes

Weideman is a free hit but I think we have a bit too much hope based off 2MP’s transition. 2MP had good years at GC before he became great at EFC, Weideman has only had good games.

None the less if he provides competition for spots it isnt a bad thing. I cant remember who mentioned it but someone said they heard secondary to Harry’s injury woes that his training and preparation standards weren’t up to scratch.

Hopefully with more competition for his spot, both his standards and his performance lift.

Cant see them both playing with Stringer as well.