The biggest EFC related defections in last 50 years

For me personally, only 3 matter, and in this order:

Wangeneen
Daylight
More Daylight
Ryder / Greg Anderson

The rest I either didn’t care about, or their reasons for leaving were fair enough, which includes Salmon.

Greg Anderson would have been a premiership winger and Paul Hills wouldn't have been; had he stayed in 1993
Paul Sproule going to Ninthmond.

That one hurt us a lot.

He left because Sheedy wouldn’t give him a game. Thought he was a squib. So he went to Richmond and played in at least one premiership. I don’t blame him at all. Same as Teddy Richards. Sheedy didn’t like him and wouldn’t play him in defence, which was what he was suited for, so he left and went to Sydney and I for one was extremely happy for him when he played in a premiership.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Phil Carman. That was a defection to Essendon, rather than from Essendon, but it was big news at the time. He was flawed, though, and never really produced for us.

Although I was only a tacker, I seem to remember Barry Davis going to North as a ■■■■■■ big deal.

Barry Davis by a long way.

He was my PE teacher at High School, and I never forgave him. Loved it when we sacked him as coach for being a dud.

For me personally, only 3 matter, and in this order:

Wangeneen
Daylight
More Daylight
Ryder / Greg Anderson

The rest I either didn’t care about, or their reasons for leaving were fair enough, which includes Salmon.

Greg Anderson would have been a premiership winger and Paul Hills wouldn't have been; had he stayed in 1993
Not sure about that, Anderson could butcher the ball at times, as badly as Hills.
Paul Sproule going to Ninthmond.

That one hurt us a lot.

He left because Sheedy wouldn’t give him a game. Thought he was a squib. So he went to Richmond and played in at least one premiership. I don’t blame him at all. Same as Teddy Richards. Sheedy didn’t like him and wouldn’t play him in defence, which was what he was suited for, so he left and went to Sydney and I for one was extremely happy for him when he played in a premiership.

Sproule left the Bombers in the mid '70's & Sheedy didn't start with us till 1981 - you sure you don't mean Tuddy?
1 Like

Left after 71 (10 years before Sheedy got here)
■■■■■■ sheedy, couldn’t keep his nose out of other people’s business.

I can remember, as a kid, being pretty devastated when Bob Shearman headed off to S.A. in 1961.

I can remember, as a kid, being pretty devastated when Bob Shearman headed off to S.A. in 1961.

I believe that was a Carey Stevens issue with Alec Epis.

I was shattered when one of my old school mates, Gary Parkes, had a dispute over money and left to play for Richmond. Played 96 games for Bombers and a handful for Richmond. Another number 5.

prey tell…

prey tell…

What I heard was that Shearman took up with Kooka’s g/f or fiancée, and the internal ructions meant he had to leave, which he did with great success at Sturt.

To be fair to them both, she was still married to Bob when he died 50-odd years later, so it was no one-night stand.

The entire Daniher family from South Melbourne…I know it wasn’t strictly a defection…but…their fans complained the following year about not having a full forward…ROLF.

He was my PE teacher at High School, and I never forgave him. Loved it when we sacked him as coach for being a dud.

Same here. I idolised him. Were you at Coburg High?

prey tell…

What I heard was that Shearman took up with Kooka’s g/f or fiancée, and the internal ructions meant he had to leave, which he did with great success at Sturt.

To be fair to them both, she was still married to Bob when he died 50-odd years later, so it was no one-night stand.

Must have been uncomfortable for all concerned when Shearman was initially refused a clearance and had to play out the last half dozen or so matches of the 1960 season on the promise of getting a clearance for the following season if he did. That might explain our form deterioration after he came back.

Roger going to Brisbane probably cost us a flag IMO.

1 Like
The entire Daniher family from South Melbourne.....I know it wasn't strictly a defection......but...................their fans complained the following year about not having a full forward.....ROLF.

How do you Roll On a Laughing Floor

2 Likes

What year we talking about?
I was at Coburg High from 72-78

What year we talking about?
I was at Coburg High from 72-78

You’re testing my memory now! Would have been around 70 to 72 from memory. I remember seeing him run past Newlands High “School” (were I was incarcerated) during lunchtimes.