The Category A Utility Draft, Vanilla McVanillaface

Clearly ports does

1 Like

Player picked up in rookie draft has knocks against him, who would of thunk it.

1 Like

I wanted a Benfti special but I’m equally happy with a Bewick special

2 Likes

What if Cassidy Parish is as good as Jackson Merrett or Aaron Heppell?

5 Likes

10 players.

4 Likes

Just got to a computer for the first time since 4:30. … initial thoughts before I head to the other thread.

No one has gone deep into this rookie draft at all. General consensus must have been that there wasn’t much quality there, given that they were redrafting players and taking guys from state leagues all over the place (David Mirra FFS), while only about 3 of Twomey’s “The next 10 best” got a shot (and one of those was a F/S.)

Mynott clearly is an OK option, as an inside mid type. @THE_DON1 likes him, so that’s a good sign. Not sure I’d have been drafting a guy who’s weaknesses were speed and kicking, but I’ll assume we don’t think they’re critical. There was a spot for an inside mid. There was also a spot for outside class, which brings me to…

I can’t understand why we’d have passed on our last pick. I assume that means McNiece gets an “upgrade”, although I’m not sure it’s actually an upgrade, just a shuffling of the deckchairs.

And so we get to the thinking behind Mynott, and perhaps thinking a bit more about the other thread. He’s not a massive body. I can’t see how he’s going past Mutch and Clarke any time soon, and he’s smaller than both of them. I am not sure what we see him as adding. And he’s not the younger brother of anyone on the list. Anyone following along knows that I was a fan of Floyd and Narrier. Floyd for his running and boot, and Narrier for his “electricity”, and apparently brilliant hands. (see here, apparently giantroo knows how to suck videos out of the draft machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClQdQ10qvo)

I had the understanding that the Worsfold game plan revolved around guys who could run and defend and hit targets by foot.

Now I don’t know what to believe.

2 Likes

Does he have weak disposal? I thought his issues were size and speed. On the inside he is meant to have very good hands and have got good numbers, which given his lack of bulk is encouraging.

I’m also not sure why outside class was even on our radar. I’d have had it about 4th or 5th on a list of needs. We did bring in Smith and Saad after all, and I’d expect Colyer to flush out the saga kinks with another preseason.

I really wouldn’t know, I was just going by the profiles I read post draft. “Needs to work on his kicking” was 1 theme. 3.22 for 20 was another (I have no idea I’d that’s accurate, and I apologise if its not)

I disagree about the lack of need for outside class. We have some, and added some, but I’m not convinced we have depth. McKenna is great, and I expect moves further up the ground. Colyer and Saad are super fast, but I don’t necessarily see them as classy finishers. I guess when I put together my ideal team I reckon we could do with more depth in players who are express pace, and can hit targets.

This was also predicated on my assumption of what Worsfold’s game plan was, which was based around us being less inclined to draft inside players (see the complaints from everyone over the weekend re the lack of inside mids). I figured we didn’t want pure inside guys, especially ones that lacked pace, or might be smashed on the spread.

My outside class preference was a fast 2 way runners who could hit targets over distance going into attack. I thought that would compliment what we currently have. Of course that might be Guelfi!

1 Like

I don’t know him either, and have also been trawling the pre-draft reviews. On the speed, definitely the reviews I read agree that is an issue. However, on disposal I’ve not read any issues. One guy on BigFooty said “Kicks well on both feet. Difficult to spot the difference”. I’ve read multiple reviews saying his clean hands and disposal by hand is a strength.

With respect to our need for outside class, I think Blitz would generally disagree. Prior to delistings the general consensus was we might keep one of Bird/Howlett as we needed inside mids. Most were saying Jerrett was gone, and nobody arguing for Long to stay was using the need for outside class as a reason. I don’t think it was on many posters radars as a need at all.

I think when Jerrett was kept, most argued it was probably because he had good disposal and worked both ways, so maybe there has been a changing view we needed that depth.

My personal preference based on needs and not best available was: tall forward, Bag’s replacement, clearance player, and then best available.

By the way, wouldn’t Smith and McGrath moving into the midfield kind of solve your need?

1 Like

I also wanted outside class.

Getting Saad, Smith and Stringer alleviates that issue for mine.

Langford is classy with ball in hand also so I think turnover should be less of an issue next year.

Crameri2Geelong