The Chilli Thread

Been going through the “what annoys you” thread and note a chilli theme had started to show itself. So time to out myself.

I’m a massive chilli head. Up until this season (where I was forced back into the renting scene) I’ve been growing a range of chillis, and am always on the lookout for new sauces. The only person I know who handles the heat better than me is the ex-wife, who for all her faults is one hell of a chilli fanatic.

So what sauces do people have and what do they recommend? My current fridge/pantry has the following:

• Tabasco. LOL. Have to include it. TBH I didn’t mind the Buffalo variety they came out with but it’s hard to get and wayyyy too expensive.
  • Franks Red Hot Sauce. It ain’t hot. Not even slightly. And it’s wayyy too salty. But it’s still ■■■■■■ nice. Even my kids (4 & 6) like it. Marinate some chicken wings in it and cook 'em slow on the BBQ for a taste of heaven.
  • The Chilli Factory Scorpion Strike. Crazy hot. Like, crazy. Mind you when I first bought it I was adding a quarter teaspoon to a curry to add spice (I have to dumb curries down for the kids so I cook mild then add my own heat). Now I’m adding 1 to 2 teaspoons depending how I feel. :slight_smile: Has a good flavour that compliments curries and pasta dishes nicely. Sells as a BBQ sauce although I’d rate it more of a tomato sauce.
  • The Chilli Factory Reaper Paste. This is insane. Open the jar and your eyes start burning. So far I’ve only added small amounts to pasta dishes. Definitely a fan.
  • The Chilli Factory Fiery Frillneck Hiss. This is DELICIOUS. Beautiful and smokey, although not even close to what I’d call hot (although most would). Only issue is the cost - I’ll use a quarter of the bottle with fish and chips. Must try.
  • Danny Cash 1%er. This is a vinegary chilli sauce. Very hot, and the heat accentuated by the vinegar. I like it, but I don’t find many instances where I use it as the vinegar flavours don’t meld well when using it to spice up other dishes and it’s too hot to use as a sauce on its own. Would work well in a marinade along with some Franks Red Hot Sauce to make very spicy and yummy buffalo wings.
  • Blairs Ultra-Death. This is VERY hot, one of the ingrediants being “natural pepper flavour” which as far as I can tell is a mix of oil and pure capcaisin. Having said that it is also DELICIOUS. Of the ultra-hot sauces this is definitely the best flavoured. Put a small blob on the side of the plate and dip every once in a while for a flavour and heat explosion. Sooo good. Sooo, sooo good. Seriously, for those who can handle it (which is not many) it is delicious. But even more seriously this is probably the hottest sauce here so you really, really need to take care with it. (maybe not as hot as the Reaper Paste, but that isn’t a sauce it’s pretty much just Reaper chillis and stuff to stop it going bad)

I also had a try at making a fermented chilli sauce out of some habs I grew. Basically you make it similar to saurkraut. Unfortunately I put it too close to a beer I was making that used some brettanomyces yeast and peddiococus bacteria and there was cross contamination. Chilli, lactic acid + brettanomyces = wayyyy too intense. It is possible to have too much of a good thing.

As for where to buy this stuff, I get the Chilli Factory stuff from BBQ Galore. Surprised they sell the Reaper Paste and Scorpion Strike without making people sign a disclaimer though. The Danny Cash was a present so no idea where it came from. Blairs and Franks I got from FireWorks Foods online. I also got some dried chipotle, chipotle in adobo and hab powder from there.

I get turned off most chilli sauces you see around. In my experience, the vast majority are just bad BBQ sauces with a bit of heat added. The sauce is not good enough to stand on its own, and for my palate the heat is not enough to lift the sauce beyond mediocrity. But despite my current pantry being full of ultra, ultra, ridiculously hot sauces, I am always on the lookout for something I can pour over some chips or chicken.

For those into the extreme who like to grow, the orange habaneros you can get from Bunnings are actualy a good buy. They put out heaps of fruit, are easy to grow (just give them plenty of nitrosol) and you need to cut them wearing latex gloves they are that hot. Seriously, I spent a night with my hand in a bowl of ice because I cut a couple up gloveless. A much easier starting point for people who like it extreme and want to grow their own, without sourcing some Scorpion or Reaper seeds and hoping you can get them to strike…

Finally, anyone who likes chilli I recommend next season growing some jalapenos and making your own chipotles. Just put the chillis into a smoker with some mesquite (I used a spit roaster with a lid on top, next time I’ll use my new Weber). Grab some (or heaps!) when they are still soft, cut them up and put them into a bolognase. Delicious. They keep soft for a couple of weeks, and leave the rest in the smoker till they are dried and they’ll keep for a year. The taste of your own mesquite smoked jalapenos is something that pretty much everyone, even non-chilli heads, would love.

I have a Jalapeno bush and this year it’s just starting to grow some chilis of a reasonable size. Looking forward to doing something with them…

Oh and Franks Red Hot is the perfect sauce to put on eggs.

I approve of this thread. And I think AN10 will too.

Not really a fan of the death sauce style myself, I think too much of the flavour is lost in the heat. My favourite sauces were always the old Flaming Bull range, but the company seems to have shut down unfortunately and you can’t get them any more. Their bbq chipotle sauce was just beyond spectacular, and they did a jalapeno and wild parsley sauce that you could put on fish with some lime juice and was a great gateway drug for non-chilli people.

For those who like to grow really hot stuff but have trouble with growing from seed, Renaissance Herbs do seedlings of almost anything. Normally they only do wholesale, so getting hold of their stuff can be tricky, but they do have a stall at the Wandin Herb & Chilli festival in March, and you can buy anything up to and including Ghosts and the Trinidad or whatever they’re called there.

Agree with the Bunnings habaneros. They’re great, you get a lot of fruit from a relatively small plant and you can do spectacular chilli prawns with a couple. This is the first year I’ve put them in the ground rather than just had them in pots, so it’ll be interesting to see if they survive the winter frosts. Potted habaneros in Melb are strictly an annual proposition, unfortunately, especially given the elevation I live at, - very prone to frost.

Sriracha sauce - couldn’t live without it

My super hot chilli days are coming to an end with my ability to handle it decreasing with age but I still love a good chilli dish.

Grew up with lots of Thai & Laotian mates and the chilli dishes we used to have would peel wallpaper, all home made none of this off the shelf stuff…good times

“What’s that in your eye?”

• Me, to anyone holding a really hot chilli.

• I’m going to hell.

I’m a Rooster garlic chilli sauce guy at home.From Viet Nam.

But, the green mexican chilli sauce is also a fav.

Oh, and the coriander indian one!!

Also as for Chilli Con Carne, we’ve been making this recipe from reddit for years now, it tops everything else I’ve ever had. Guy puts WAY too much chilli powder in it though…

http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33

I have a swag of sauces at home but my favourites are the El Yucateco sauces (excluding the really hot ones) and Byron Bay Chillies ones.

Not a fan of Asian hot sauces at all…or Tabasco.

I’m not into the bravery (read stupidity) awards. You want kick, not pain.

I’ll have to list then when I’ve got time at home.

Bugman and Dunlop enjoyed my Endorphin Rush (or was it Dave’s Insanity Sauce?) a few years back. It was like two dogs scraping their arses across gravel.

This one…

A reply to: @Humble Minion regarding QuoteLink

Agree with the Bunnings habaneros. They're great, you get a lot of fruit from a relatively small plant and you can do spectacular chilli prawns with a couple. This is the first year I've put them in the ground rather than just had them in pots, so it'll be interesting to see if they survive the winter frosts. Potted habaneros in Melb are strictly an annual proposition, unfortunately, especially given the elevation I live at, - very prone to frost.
Out in Berwick, I had some Jalepenos that are now into their third year and still going strong. At least, they were going strong but I suspect they're on their last legs from neglect now. The Habs never made it through a winter though. Not even close. But one punnet was enough to keep me going with fresh fruit for about 2-3 months and dried for the year.

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

Also as for Chilli Con Carne, we've been making this recipe from reddit for years now, it tops everything else I've ever had. Guy puts WAY too much chilli powder in it though...

http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33

Can’t talk to the quality of the food but that is a heck of a presentation :slight_smile:

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Humble Minion regarding QuoteLink
Agree with the Bunnings habaneros. They're great, you get a lot of fruit from a relatively small plant and you can do spectacular chilli prawns with a couple. This is the first year I've put them in the ground rather than just had them in pots, so it'll be interesting to see if they survive the winter frosts. Potted habaneros in Melb are strictly an annual proposition, unfortunately, especially given the elevation I live at, - very prone to frost.
Out in Berwick, I had some Jalepenos that are now into their third year and still going strong. At least, they were going strong but I suspect they're on their last legs from neglect now. The Habs never made it through a winter though. Not even close. But one punnet was enough to keep me going with fresh fruit for about 2-3 months and dried for the year.

A mate of mine has had some great success with manzanos - they cope with the winters really well and grow into large bushes that have huge amounts of fruit. And the chillies are big and have a lot of flesh on them, so they flavour food really well rather than being purely heat-based. I dropped into the Disaster Bay chilli farm (anyone else tried their chilli wine? VERY nice!) a while back and chatted with the people there - they use manzanos too. I’ve put one in the ground this year, no results yet. I had a habanero plant survive the winter exactly once, when bought one of those little plastic greenhouses and kept it in there all winter. But it was a massive pain, the damn thing kept blowing over no matter how much I weighed it down, and that was before I moved up in the hills where the frosts are fiercer.

A reply to: @Alan_Noonan_10 regarding QuoteLink

I have a swag of sauces at home but my favourites are the El Yucateco sauces (excluding the really hot ones) and Byron Bay Chillies ones.

Not a fan of Asian hot sauces at all…or Tabasco.

I’m not into the bravery (read stupidity) awards. You want kick, not pain.
I’ll have to list then when I’ve got time at home.

Bugman and Dunlop enjoyed my Endorphin Rush (or was it Dave’s Insanity Sauce?) a few years back. It was like two dogs scraping their arses across gravel.

Just on that I know that is how some people feel but for me I genuinely enjoy the pain. It’s not about showing off - the only time I go super hot is when i’m home alone. Super hot chilli is like a drug. I’ll cook up a curry, add a huge dollop of scorpion strike, a big pile of homemade raita on the side, and by the time I’m finished I’m floating on a cloud.

If I do go hot in company I’m generally embarassed - red face and sweat! My ability to handle heat is not something I’m proud of, it’s just something I enjoy.

Some mates once fooled me in to eating a whole habanero whilst ■■■■■■.

Some, ■■■■■■, ■■■■■■ mates.

Total addict to Harissa

That Simpson. He thinks he’s the Pope of chilly town.

Sauces:
Sriracha
Tobasco (smoked)
Elyucateco Chipolte
Elyucateco Jalapenea
Elyucateco Habanero

Fresh:
Birds Eye chillis
Thai chillis

Quoted Post

Total addict to Harissa

Is that hot? Or just spicy?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Total addict to Harissa

Is that hot? Or just spicy?

its the right kind of hot for me, not overly but with a good taste.