The Comedy Thread

I’ve gotta say, Moran’s been my fave for many a year now, and I was spewing when I was back in Oz earlier the year to see posters for him and know I was gonna miss him again. Glad to hear he was great.

The Derek and Clive recordings are getting re-released. Oh the joy of discovering this offensive, absurd ■■■■ at an impressionable age.
The Guardian has a great article about this stage of Pete and Dud’s relationship: http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/aug/02/derek-and-clive-rerelease

Went and saw John Oliver last night. I wasn't sure what to expect as whilst I love his show, I usually find it more clever and witty with fun absurd touches (the mascots) then genuinely LOL funny, but his stand-up stuff was very, very good.

Wasn’t aware of Celia Pacquola outside of her role as straight-woman on Utopia, but her stand-up stuff was reasonably decent as well.

Went Thursday night. So so so funny

What sort of style is Oliver’s stand up? was he all political type comedy, or did he throw in a few ‘Don’t you hate it when’s?’

A bit all over the place really. It wasn’t as political as I thought it might be for someone that spent a good chunk of their career as part of the Daily Show which largely covers politics.
He probably did more political stuff then he’d performed on Thursday though, because of the comedy gold mine Abbott and co bestowed upon him of Australian Border Force.
Very few references to his show outside of relaunching into Barnaby Joyce and Johnny Depp’s Dogs that he’d featured on the show, and to update people on his recent (fully legal) church venture. Praise be.
A fair bit of Australia specific stuff like how casually racist we are, and how very specific some of the racism is (Lebanese)
I don’t think there was a single “Don’t you hate it when” in the act, he’s very conversational in style - some of it is just amusing life stories like when he met his hero Steven Gerrard - rather than the standard set-ups and transitions

Comedy Festival 2016 - who are you going to see
Tim Vine

Tim Minchin

Comedy Festival 2016 - who are you going to see Tim Vine

Man he makes me laugh.

He KNOWS his jokes are so lame, but so so funny.

Man he makes me laugh.

‘the guy who invented window sills… What a ledge.’

I’m actually a bit underwealmed by the international acts this year. I mean, how many times can Arj Barker do this festival?

As mentioned above, Tim Vine will be worth seeing, Paul Foote can be funny and Ian Edwards is ok.

But yeah, reckon I’ll be seeing more Aussies this year.

Just watched about 2 hours of Jimmy Carr on the Comedy Channel. I don’t there are any lines he won’t cross. ■■■■, he’s funny.

Just watched about 2 hours of Jimmy Carr on the Comedy Channel. I don't there are any lines he won't cross. ■■■■, he's funny.

Saw him at Hamer Hall last month. Didn’t know a lot about him, but Christ I laughed a lot, and laughed a lot again.

Man he makes me laugh.

‘the guy who invented window sills… What a ledge.’

“My friend said to me, ‘I can’t think of another word for Stitch’…I said ‘Is that so’?”

So he’s a dad then

I'm actually a bit underwealmed by the international acts this year. I mean, how many times can Arj Barker do this festival?

As mentioned above, Tim Vine will be worth seeing, Paul Foote can be funny and Ian Edwards is ok.

But yeah, reckon I’ll be seeing more Aussies this year.

Or Stephen K Amos or Ross Noble or Rich Hall or Danny Bhoy or Fiona O Loughlin... Answer, every year until somebody stops booking them - ie never

Going to see Wil Anderson (for the first time live) this year. No idea why I’d never got around to it until now, but there it is. Probably try and see Mooney too, why not.
I did get a laugh out of how the MICF site has ‘Jimoein’ listed as an international. He opened one of the first comedy specific rooms in Melbourne, lived here full time since about 1990. At what point are you naturalised?

Just watched about 2 hours of Jimmy Carr on the Comedy Channel. I don't there are any lines he won't cross. ■■■■, he's funny.
He hasn't crossed the line into making money according to his tax return, apparently, and the tax people disagreed ever so slightly. I agree though, he's funny as.

Off to see Carl Barron on Sunday night with the Mrs and a few friends. I’m not a massive fan but he’s usually good for a few laughs.

Jim Jefferies next month in Townsville is the one I’m waiting for…

I didnt recommend him strongly last year but Dr Prof Neal Portenza is an ex colleague of mine. I went and watched the show last year. Was total and utter chaos. Very physical comedy and absolutely hilarious. If you want something different (and I mean DIFFERENT) then give him a shot.

Which reminds me, a local bar has begun doing something called Kung Fu Komedy, once a month. Two weeks ago they had Ruben Paul on, the writing partner of Russell Peters. He didn’t disappoint, and had the small crowd howling with laughter from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Well, got to see Jim Jefferies on Saturday night. One of the funniest stand up gigs I’ve seen. Absolutely no boundaries to what he’ll take the ■■■■ out of.

And he absolutely destroyed a couple of bogans who tried to heckle him. Was very nearly worth it for that alone.

Opening act Forest Shaw was very funny, too.