The Comedy Thread

Anybody seen any shows in the festival yet?

I saw Jim Jeffries last week (finally), and am seeing Tommy Little and Nick Cody tonight.

Looking for something totally unknown and random next week. Any suggestions?

Saw Deanne Smith
Very funny

Jeremy Hotz
2005 Just for Laughs

Maria Bamford

Not a fan of Jason Byrne at all.
Went to a show last year, his shtick is just to humiliate people from the audience, which gets old pretty fast, I know that’s the joke, but I don’t get how that makes a comedian popular, as there are no actual jokes. If he asked me to get on stage I’d tell him to **** off & “tell us a joke”.

Quoted Post

Not a fan of Jason Byrne at all. Went to a show last year, his shtick is just to humiliate people from the audience, which gets old pretty fast, I know that's the joke, but I don't get how that makes a comedian popular, as there are no actual jokes. If he asked me to get on stage I'd tell him to **** off & "tell us a joke".
Feel exactly the same. I think he thinks that if he swears and uses his accent, everyone will find it funny.

Paul Foot or the Best of Edinburgh Festival?

Saw Sammy J and Randy who were awesome.
Saw Justin Hamilton who was…well, it wasn’t his best gig.

Seeing Kitty Flanagan tomorrow night and looking for someone else to see around 9, since Ronny Chieng sold out. [bugger]

Quoted Post

Saw Sammy J and Randy who were awesome. Saw Justin Hamilton who was...well, it wasn't his best gig.

Seeing Kitty Flanagan tomorrow night and looking for someone else to see around 9, since Ronny Chieng sold out. [bugger]

I’m still hoping to get to see Sammy J.

There isn’t much on at 9 tomorrow. You could go ‘Best of British’ at the exford, those shows usually get at least one genuinely funny act, or Sam Simmons at 9.40, which depends on whether you find schizophrenia funny or not.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Saw Sammy J and Randy who were awesome. Saw Justin Hamilton who was...well, it wasn't his best gig.

There isn’t much on at 9 tomorrow. You could go ‘Best of British’ at the exford, those shows usually get at least one genuinely funny act, or Sam Simmons at 9.40, which depends on whether you find schizophrenia funny or not.

I find him curiously entertaining but Mrs Wim is not a fan, sadly.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

I find him curiously entertaining but Mrs Wim is not a fan, sadly.

Yeah, I had the same issue. I was showing Mrs Peos his youtube clips last weekend hoping to sell her. She loved him for about 3 minutes, then she just started to hate him. I should have stuck to just the one clip.

One of my ex-staff does comedy now. Josh Ladgrove (aka Dr Prof Neal Portenza) or he did the show “Come Heckle Christ” which as you can imagine generated a fair bit of publicity.

If we are talking all time favourites then hard to go past Billy Connolly who I have seen live 5 or 6 times. Just the best story teller and genuinely looks like he is enjoying himself on stage. Every show is different and can talk for 3 hours and not lose your interest or lose humour. Is in a different league to anyone else I have seen live. That being said, off to the festival and reading this for tips

Quoted Post

One of my ex-staff does comedy now. Josh Ladgrove (aka Dr Prof Neal Portenza) or he did the show "Come Heckle Christ" which as you can imagine generated a fair bit of publicity.

Wow, this guy? http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2015/season/shows/catchy-show-title-dr-professor-neal-portenza-s

Dude looks like a pretty loose unit.

There’s your 9.30 show Wim.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
One of my ex-staff does comedy now. Josh Ladgrove (aka Dr Prof Neal Portenza) or he did the show "Come Heckle Christ" which as you can imagine generated a fair bit of publicity.

Wow, this guy? http://www.comedyfestival.com.au/2015/season/shows/catchy-show-title-dr-professor-neal-portenza-s

Dude looks like a pretty loose unit.

There’s your 9.30 show Wim.

Have to say, his spot in the booklet did catch my eye.
Yeah, why the hell not?

Definitely a loose unit… safe to say he wasn’t right for a career in banking. Clever kid though. Qualified mechatronic engineer. Seen him live twice and enjoyed both although not sure if in part because I know him

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I saw Sammy J’s pre-show as my mate grew up with him. Not biased, but thought he was quite entertaining. We went out for dinner afterwards, and he mentioned he’s got a TV show that will broadcast on ABC later this year. I also know what Randy looks like haha

I know a guy who did or does comedy. About the least funny person I know as well. One night he finally convinced one of my other mates (who reviews comedy shows and movies etc) to come along, against his better judgement. Anyway part of the show is this audience interaction bit where he just gets a chick from the audience on stage and creeps her the ■■■■ out. Turns out the bird he picked was a reviewer from one of the major papers. 0 stars!

L O fucken L.

Saw Rich Hall last night
Verrrrrrrry funny

Latest season of Kroll Show worth a watch. Obviously not worth me posting a vid though. Highly recommend