In memoriam. Australian Journalism. Judd Wept

Surely it’s Sydney farking Roosters news, or NRL news, or even (very, very loosely) AFL news. Has fark-all to do with Essendon, unless of course you’re merely trying to rustle-up clicks…

3 Likes

Well, yeah. Business as usual…

Matthew Dunn from News.com.au. Every time something about piracy or Netflix is even touched on he’s there writing some half arsed thing trying to sink the boots in. Editorialised rubbish and constant lame attempts to pump up the tires of traditional media.

Yep, it’s NRL news.
It has as much to do with us as it does with Geelong.

We are the only team with a ‘weapon’ as a logo.

1 Like

Australia, 2017.

Sounds like “Yeah, Pauline’s got a point, but.”

Or “yeah, but nobody ever talks about all the good stuff Hitler did…”

I like this show called “the footy” which is on on Friday and Saturday nights, and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The rest is a rubbish waste of time.

2 Likes

I like selected episodes of that show. About one a week is all I can take.

3 Likes

Is that the one where the people who are in charge have a weird alternate view of reality?

2 Likes

Just heard on ABC News an interview with an American journo regarding the Australian woman who was shot in Minneapolis - journo referred to Australia as being in Europe and the gun laws there being very different.

1 Like

I regularly visit Minnesota. (partner is from there) . I went to a family wedding once and one of the aunties approached me and we began a conversation that included the topics of kangaroos, koalas, the political scene, Australian history and Crocodile Dundee. At the end of the conversation, she said, " Gee, you speak English really well." Minnesotans are generally well educated, however i have found that they are geographically challenged.

1 Like

Spent some time in USA in 1991 and went to College. The amount of people who commented me on having no accent but quite a funny accent and coming from Austria. When I said I was from Australia, there was almost a collective duhhhhh where’s that? Then the questions began in earnest almost as if Australia was kind of like the wild west was, before it was tamed and became civilized.

Made me realise we are really just a little dot on the map and when we move outside our home base, we find so much is very different. As a visitor elsewhere we need to acquaint ourselves with rules and regulations of other places because in many instances, they are so different to what we know.

While many may think they are big shots in Oz, we are a little fishpond in a vast ocean

2 Likes

Same thing could be said of the US, or any country really. And of a journo being interviewed by another country - just a little bit of research goes a long way.

I had people legit wish me a merry Christmas on June 25.

Smart enough to realise winter was offset by six months, but not to realise we used the same calendar/could have Christmas in summer.

3 Likes

I have just spent two days in Toowoomba. The Local Paper is a cracker, especially the Editorial and Letters to the Editor.

I now have some understanding why benfti has gone feral.

The place is a bit like Bendigo thirty years ago, and the features writers in the local rag are just about every right wing nut job that Fairfax and Newscorp ever found under rocks. Andrew Bolt is left wing in this place.

We’re actually a fairly big dot on the map, but obviously you need to actually look at a map to realise that. If the Americas had been colonised by approach from the west then maybe we might rate a mention in US early history and geography classes. Or maybe not

I was reading that in a Fargo-type accent.

1 Like

I was using that as a metaphor. We are really small fry compared to many places in the world around us. And I was surprised at how many people didn’t really know very much about Australia. I guess in our own special way we are all quite parochial.