In memoriam. Australian Journalism. Judd Wept

No, it was the longest and hammiest death scene of all time. They even cut back to him after the closing credits…

No, it was the longest and hammiest death scene of all time. They even cut back to him after the closing credits...

Thought you might have been talking about the “little death” he got sprung with in the sex shop, after indulging in a little hand-to-gland combat.

More evidence of the continuing death of journalism come from today's Age which had not one but two pieces of writing that should not pass in a primary school essay. These were in separate articles and on the front page no less:

“A bald pate with an often aloof demeanour, Mr Tian is…” Since when have we mistaken body parts for people?

Under the headline “7-11 Sprung…” the article with two (!) journos on the byline starts “7-11 has been sprung”. Since when is slang acceptable in a serious new report?

More evidence of the continuing death of the Age.

Can a death actually be ‘continuing’ though?
Perhaps you meant ‘continued dying’?
Or ‘continuing death throes’?
Was the pate chicken or duck?

I was referring to the thread title. Sorry if that was too cryptic. ; )

Otherwise, please direct your comments to the OP.

More evidence of the continuing death of journalism come from today's Age which had not one but two pieces of writing that should not pass in a primary school essay. These were in separate articles and on the front page no less:

“A bald pate with an often aloof demeanour, Mr Tian is…” Since when have we mistaken body parts for people?

Under the headline “7-11 Sprung…” the article with two (!) journos on the byline starts “7-11 has been sprung”. Since when is slang acceptable in a serious new report?

More evidence of the continuing death of the Age.

Can a death actually be ‘continuing’ though?
Perhaps you meant ‘continued dying’?
Or ‘continuing death throes’?
Was the pate chicken or duck?

I was referring to the thread title. Sorry if that was too cryptic. ; )

Otherwise, please direct your comments to the OP.

Yep, too cryptic for little ol’ me, old bean!

‘He didn’t realise what his duties would be’ DONALD Trump has been President-elect less than 48 hours but there’s already doubt over whether he’ll keep this promise.”

The headline on news.com.au.

The article turns out to be about Trump not realising he wouldn’t have time to attend a UFC match.

Apparently this is music journalism:

“There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. It is quite obvious that no other singer in rock or metal sounds like him (although many wish they did), and that his influence is ever-present to this day, but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that into the third decade of their continued relevance they remain just as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts.”

Dunno why anyone bothers with anything beyond middle school anymore.

(Also: Deftones are shit.)

“There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. It is quite obvious that no other singer in rock or metal sounds like him (although many wish they did), and that his influence is ever-present to this day, but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that into the third decade of their continued relevance they remain just as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts.”

2 things on that. 1. Music journalism is the worst paid writing job you can get. Most of it is done for free, and the people who do it, generally do it for the free stuff or to be involved in that industry, anyone with a modicum of actual writing talent ends up getting bought as record company marketers.

1. Deftones ■■■■■■■ rule.

2 things on that. 1. Music journalism is the worst paid writing job you can get. Most of it is done for free, and the people who do it, generally do it for the free stuff or to be involved in that industry, anyone with a modicum of actual writing talent ends up getting bought as record company marketers.

1. Deftones ■■■■■■■ rule.

Agreeing on point 1. is neither here nor there.

Can’t agree on point 2. Saw them last night.

I suppose point 3. comes into effect: each to their own.

That is an appalling paragraph sentence, though.

That is an appalling paragraph sentence, though.

Which was my point, rather than anything else.

@benfti the fact that it isn’t a great paying job doesn’t mean you need to do a ■■■■ job of it. Constructing a sentence isn’t that hard. But if your vocation - or the vocation you aspire to - involves constructing sentences - you know communicating stuff - then it shouldn’t be too much effort to read over it a couple of times before you commit it to print.

(Still think Deftones are average, at best.)

There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. Don’t tell people you can’t write. It is quite obvious that If it’s that obvious we don’t need to be told. No other singer in rock or metal sounds like him Chino Moreno. (although many wish they did), and that His influence is ever-present to this day. but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that Into their third decade of their continued relevance The Deftones remain just are as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts.”

That’s not anywhere near perfect, but it’s better.

Shopper caught on film kicking car in Eastland Shopping Centre carpark

Emma-Jayne Schenk, Maroondah Leader
November 16, 2016 1:30pm

A DASH cam video showing a violent argument between a driver and erratic pedestrian at Eastland has gone viral.

The video showing a man yelling and kicking a car at the Ringwood centre’s carpark last Sunday has been viewed by more than 742,000 people in two days.

Two people can be seen slowly walking in front of a car before the driver toots her horn twice.

The man then turns around, sticks up his finger, and starts shouting at the driver.

She responds by yelling: “I was just being polite; I just gave you a little toot, that’s all … What a rude pig you are.”

But the man continues to walk backwards in front of the car, staring at the woman before kicking the car twice and tripping over.

She yells “stupid b**tard” before the video cuts out.

It started with a toot to these shoppers …
A debate has broken out on the Dash Cam Owners Australia Facebook page, with many blaming the pedestrian for his “vile behaviour”.

Some even said she should have “run him over”.

“Pedestrians need to stop walking on the road like they’re bulletproof. Sure, they might have right of way, but they don’t have the right to walk down the middle of the road like they own it either,” Steve Rock said.

James Killingsworth said society “didn’t need people like this”.

“First kick he knocks himself off balance, then second kick he falls over. What a hero, but that’s Ringwood for you,” David Anderson said.

And ended with the car being kicked.
Ben Peter Whiteway said similar incidents would only get worse as Christmas approached.

But some Facebookers defended the pedestrian, saying the driver overreacted.

“If you had just said, ‘I’m sorry I just wanted to let you know I was behind you’, you would of avoided this low life’s reaction,” Anthony Fulcher said.

Eastland said no incident had been reported to management.

Ummm… from what I saw she deliberately clipped him to prompt him to start kicking the car!

But I guess they had decided to write an anti-pedestrian/pro-motorist article, so left out the bits they didn’t need.

Ben Peter Whiteway said similar incidents would only get worse as Christmas approached.

Really.

F**kstick Ch 9 journo barges into the South African group at the airport trying to interview Faf, gets pushed out of the way, and then carries on about how hurt and upset he is.

Very aggressive the way he tried to shove the microphone into their faces, and I’m just sorry they didn’t ram that dirty big microphone fair up his blurter.

When journalists fight back…

“Tigers reject calls Yarran recruitment a mistake”

This is why punctuation is important.

“The club has asked him to send it video footage of him kicking and marking.”

"Tigers reject calls Yarran recruitment a mistake"

Not sure this is a punctuation issue, but more the ambiguity about whether reject is a verb or a noun, ditto calls.

Adding a that and an is would help make it clearer.

"Tigers reject calls Yarran recruitment a mistake"

Not sure this is a punctuation issue, but more the ambiguity about whether reject is a verb or a noun, ditto calls.

Adding a that and an is would help make it clearer.

Tigers that reject calls (and the makover that will make them call you back).

Yarran recruitment is a mistake.

I’ve made two much more interesting headlines.