The Cricket Thread

Should of been blooding Nevill in the Windies, reckon its a huge mistake playing Haddin in England

They may be protecting Nevill. A lot of keepers struggle first time in England, with the Duke ball and the swing/wobble after the ball passes the batsman. Give Hadds the first couple, and if he isn’t keeping well, Nevill comes in.

Does Nevill play county cricket?

We've found our number 3.

Top 8 for The Ashes will probably be:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson

Lyon will be the spinner, so that leaves Harris, Starc, and Hazlewood to battle over the remaining two spots. I would say Harris will play the first test, and any remaining tests that he is fit enough for.

So the only point of conjection will be Starc and Hazlewood. Do you want Hazlewood’s control, or Starcs wicket taking? I like taking wickets, so I’d go for Starc. That also gives us two left armers creating footmarks for Lyon to bowl at.

Only issue is that leaves the 2 Marsh boys among the non-playing tourists. Is there enough alcohol in England for that?

whats the genetic code in that family that goes from an old man that used to keep boonie spooked practicing forward defense in the nip in the hotel room to having massive pissheads for kids? or is it a coping mechanism?

Mate, if your old man practiced forward defensives in the nude, you’d drink too.

7/71, sad to see the Windies become the pea hearted rabble they are

We've found our number 3.

Top 8 for The Ashes will probably be:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson

Lyon will be the spinner, so that leaves Harris, Starc, and Hazlewood to battle over the remaining two spots. I would say Harris will play the first test, and any remaining tests that he is fit enough for.

So the only point of conjection will be Starc and Hazlewood. Do you want Hazlewood’s control, or Starcs wicket taking? I like taking wickets, so I’d go for Starc. That also gives us two left armers creating footmarks for Lyon to bowl at.

Only issue is that leaves the 2 Marsh boys among the non-playing tourists. Is there enough alcohol in England for that?

whats the genetic code in that family that goes from an old man that used to keep boonie spooked practicing forward defense in the nip in the hotel room to having massive pissheads for kids? or is it a coping mechanism?

It’s purely academic and I know it won’t happen but when you look at the test batting averages of the 5 most likely Ashes bowlers, Starc 28 (24 1st class), Johnston 23, Harris 21.5, Hazelwood 71 (15 at 1st class is probably more representative of his ability) and Lyon 14.8, you can mount a reasonable argument that all 5 can play and Watson can be dropped. They’ve all shown they can hang around but I reckon one sticking point is Haddin at 6. If the keeper was stable with the blade you could do it. Wade could bat at 6 but his issue is with the gloves. It would certainly help if one of them broke down mid match as happens fairly regularly.

Should of been blooding Nevill in the Windies, reckon its a huge mistake playing Haddin in England

but he can catch with his nuts

Abbott got 6/14 today in NSW 80 run win over QLD.

:slight_smile:

fair effort to bat a whole day!! Lot of pressure on Maddison and Wade next game, they both have a lot of blokes breathing down their necks

Not to be picky and I hope everyone eventually gets it…but his name is MaddiNson.

Quoted Post

I can't recall seeing an Australian captain going for a personal milestone before declaring. Mind you, certainly can't blame him. He's not putting the game in danger by doing it.

Not sure why you’d be even thinking about declaring just yet. Nothing to do with putting personal milestones first

No need for a declaration. We’re scoring quick cheap runs.

Hazelwood is only batting 11 because of seniority. Should be coming in before Lyon, and possibly Harris.

Brilliant innings by smith. But geez that dismissal was horrible. To throw ya wicket away like that when you have a chance at a double ton is terrible

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I can't recall seeing an Australian captain going for a personal milestone before declaring. Mind you, certainly can't blame him. He's not putting the game in danger by doing it.

Not sure why you’d be even thinking about declaring just yet. Nothing to do with putting personal milestones first

Moot point now. Wasn’t necessarily saying he was, just joining in the discussion about it being suggested earlier. I’d say we’ll have a new innings after tea.

Quoted Post

Brilliant innings by smith. But geez that dismissal was horrible. To throw ya wicket away like that when you have a chance at a double ton is terrible

Doing the opposite of what I suggested earlier. Just trying to make as many as possible before tea. Didn’t care about the milestone at all.

Yeah, it was selfless, not selfish.
Should have been selfish.
Half an hour after tea would have been fine.

Warne has issues, he loves to stir the pot and thinks it will garner him more money through media slots. The only thing that is destabilising is him.

Bell is a shadow of his former self. But take nothing away from Siddle. Bowling consistently good line and length.

Fark it

Just checked the London forecast. It looks like the rain will clear by 4. Tomorrow looks horrible so fingers crossed we get back out there.

Too much of a boy’s club, Channel 9 Commentary Team.

Still reckon we’re better off without it.

I liked the way a few times the umpires consulted the 3rd umpire (complete with all the technology) for a few tight caught decisions. This is similar to the AFL goal umpires making a call but just checking every now and then.

This should be how the DRS is used. If its close the umpire makes a call and if the umpires think its a tight call they can request the 3rd umpire to take a look. This business of the players having a certain number of referrals is a joke.

I actually loved the series, sans DRS.

IMHO there was a darn sight more howlers in either of the last Ashes (with DRS, technology, replay etc) than this one.
The Agar call a particular highlight but there were more, for and against.