The David Zaharakis thread: 2.0?

He’s been carried for a LONG time. Sorry, but the difference between his best and worst is terrible. Needs a big year

For me the most frustrating player at Essendon. Their was a stretch in 2014 for about 7-8 games where he was winning the inside ball, and playing very well on the outside.

He picks and chooses when he wants to perform. The majority of the time he is softer than Marc Murphy.

He carries himself like a star, but rarely gives a stars effort

His best is awesome, but he is incredibly inconsistent.

I wanted him traded in this years period, I really hope he proves me wrong because he can be very damaging when he wants to be.

I think people around here are a fair bit harsh on Zaharakis. Yes hes not Sidebottom/hanneberry or Parker, but he is a good player and is a crighton medallist albeit in a poor year where he did not have much competition.

Name a crighton medallist who is a list clogger.

since 1995
B: Damien Hadwick Dustin Fletcher Mark Johnson
HB: Adam McPhee, Cale Hooker Brendan Goddard
C: Jason Johnson(05) Jobe Watson(B 12) James Hird (03)
HF: Mark Mecuri Scott Lucas (06) James Hird(B 96)
FF: David Zaharakis Scott Lucas(03) Jobe Watson(10)
R: David Hille Dyson Heppell Jason Johnson(01)
Int James Hird 07 Jobe Watson(09) Sean Denham James Hird (95)

EMG:

I think that’s the point. A lucky winner that year was Zaka imo. He stands out amongst that crowd.

Zaka needs to concentrate more on footy and less on media appearances

Wouldnt think that is an issue at all.

It depends on which way he meant it. Players can get ahead of themselves, especially one who had the early success Zaka did (almost straight in the side, ANZAC, Chrichton). Zaka doesn’t seem to lack much confidence, and whilst I don’t exactly think he loiters around Rodski’s office begging for a gig on The Footy Show, I do think it is worth sometimes getting certain players to focus back on football. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what the leadership group thing was about.

Needs to put in a lot of work, needs a big year. Sounds like the work is there at this stage.

I would also add that he needs to be able to play through niggles. I think that’s a big weakness of his and I’m not sure how much that can be worked on.

Trade bait

Missed the opportunity this year. Value will drop again 2016.

Had one bad year.

Will bounce back.

Needs to stop going to his mums for tea, probably has his mum come over and clean his house, iron his clothes.

Yoda: hard ball Zaka strong suit not.

He kicked 31 goals in his B&F year, No reason he shouldn't be doing that consistently for the next 4 years. He needs to be our version of Robbie Gray, Obviously Gray is a superstar but I really rate Zaka and think he can have a similar output.

At the same age (and I think I’ve made this point before), Robbie Gray - he’s pretty much exactly 2 years older than Zaha, so up to 2013 - had barely strung two midfield games together between injuries. Let alone the sort of year Zaha had put together in 2011, 2013 or 2014.
He only ‘clicked’ when he was 26 & 27.

This.

Similar type of players in my opinion with Gray perhaps having a little bit more pace but otherwise quite similar.

I remember when he had his breakout year and they interviewed him on one of the halftime doco type jobs about his dramatic improvement and asked him how he managed to do it and responded with something like: “I just started putting in extra work on and off the track and really dedicated myself to becoming the best possible player I can be and now that I am seeing the results, I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner.” (Paraphrasing)

Gee, thought Gray had a horrible injury run for 3-4 years. Sorry, but Gray has much much more talent as a pure footballer.

If Zaka can transition into the midfield ala Gray I will eat my shoe. Gray kicks multiple goals and has 30+ on a consistent basis.

Gray is exactly what winders would have been with a better run at it.

Needs to stop going to his mums for tea, probably has his mum come over and clean his house, iron his clothes.

The is probably the most muppet thing you’ve ever said.

For me the most frustrating player at Essendon. Their was a stretch in 2014 for about 7-8 games where he was winning the inside ball, and playing very well on the outside.

He picks and chooses when he wants to perform. The majority of the time he is softer than Marc Murphy.

I wanted him traded in this years period, I really hope he proves me wrong because he can be very damaging when he wants to be.

Trade bait

I still don’t understand how some posters wanted to keep Melksham but want to trade Zaharakis.

Beggars belief.

He kicked 31 goals in his B&F year, No reason he shouldn't be doing that consistently for the next 4 years. He needs to be our version of Robbie Gray, Obviously Gray is a superstar but I really rate Zaka and think he can have a similar output.

At the same age (and I think I’ve made this point before), Robbie Gray - he’s pretty much exactly 2 years older than Zaha, so up to 2013 - had barely strung two midfield games together between injuries. Let alone the sort of year Zaha had put together in 2011, 2013 or 2014.
He only ‘clicked’ when he was 26 & 27.

This.

Similar type of players in my opinion with Gray perhaps having a little bit more pace but otherwise quite similar.

I remember when he had his breakout year and they interviewed him on one of the halftime doco type jobs about his dramatic improvement and asked him how he managed to do it and responded with something like: “I just started putting in extra work on and off the track and really dedicated myself to becoming the best possible player I can be and now that I am seeing the results, I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner.” (Paraphrasing)

Gee, thought Gray had a horrible injury run for 3-4 years. Sorry, but Gray has much much more talent as a pure footballer.

If Zaka can transition into the midfield ala Gray I will eat my shoe. Gray kicks multiple goals and has 30+ on a consistent basis.

Somehow I don’t think we are talking about the same guy here.

I am talking about Zaharakis… The guy who has played full-time midfield since 2012 with the occasional rest up forward.

Trade bait

I still don’t understand how some posters wanted to keep Melksham but want to trade Zaharakis.

Beggars belief.

Well I guess when you just needed someone to belt someone Melksham was your man, at least he went hard at it despite his overwhelming spudness.

Trade bait

Beggars belief.

The two people you’ve quoted as evidence of belief beggaring behaviour had this to say about Melksham requesting a trade:

Thank goodness for that.
(http://bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/comment/638750/#Comment_638750) and
Melksham, like Carlsile, had one half of a good season once.
(http://bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/comment/636958/#Comment_636958)

The is probably the most muppet thing you’ve ever said.

Sorry mate poor use of sarcasm!!

Zaka is now experiencing Stanton like support. Look forward to hearing some of you boo him next year so we can all look like arseholes.

I don’t think whether he is in the leadership group or not is an issue and it shouldn’t be a measure of a players on feild performance.

I hope he does a Leigh Montagna. Shows promise early. Was then quite for a while and then went bang.

Never been his biggest fan but you gotta get behind a player that’s having a red hot crack in the preseason, funny what happens to a players mindset when there is depth and pressure to hold your spot.

good luck Zaka.

Trade bait

lol.

Gray is exactly what winders would have been with a better run at it.

Pardon?

If Winderlich had played 300 games he would’ve been team of the century material. He was A grade elite.