The deliberate OOB rule

Wait, S10 or HAP?
I was agreeing with S10.
Except the hands in the back rule, AN10’s right there.
That rule was very strictly enforced in days of yore. Even moreso than now.
And the sight of the guy behind just shoving the man in front and then taking a chest mark ‘because it was all in one motion’ was ugly, ugly, ugly and we are better for its demise.

For John Worsfold to make that statement! Speak of hypocrisy ,about the returning players hitting the wall, has John Worsfold forgot about the last four years,he is giving the media ammunition ,that statement is demoralise for us supporter, he shoud have been sacked or reprimanded .

And whipped.
And made to face the pointy cushion.

In my memory (which I concede could be iffy), the rule - as interpreted back in the day - was “push in the back”, not “hands in the back”. If a player was clearly pushed or fallen on top of from behind and above the hips, a free kick was generally paid (not always - application has always been inconsistent). A player could, however, usually get away with putting a hand up to hold their position if someone in front was backing into them.

Yep, it was.
But little pushes were paid.
And then in the Nineties they stopped paying them.
‘Hold your ground’ meant shove the player at the last moment while you fell back and, again, took a chest mark. That’s not a contest.
And then they became big pushes.
And so they changed it to hands in the back, and it was a good thing.
Takes the interpretation out of it a little more.

What nonsense!

Wat?

How is that hypocrisy? Guys who haven’t played for a year are feeling the effects of not having the match fitness that everyone else has had. Not exactly shocking.

so Serenity-Now you’re the fitness coach ,explain why Travel Coyler played such brilliant game,and he was out of the game for a year,it’s all smoke and mirrors from John Worsfold

1 Like

Well if this is the rule the following should apply…

How many times do you see players just spoil it out of bounds…isn’t that contrary to the above rule.

Whats the difference between kicking it out and spoiling it out…

Shoot me down all you want to!

Simple: different people with different physical attributes and strengths and weaknesses.

Can I ask: if it’s smoke and mirrors, what’s Worsfold hiding? Do you think he’s saying that to cover up for his coaching shortcomings?

Of course he’s covering up his shortcomings, just looked at the game against Carlton.That is John Worsfold worse coaching performance since he’s been at Essendon.

Maybe it was just because I was sitting in the cheap seats but JTFC the Carlton crowd were feral.

I was there with Wannabe Jnr and was worried he wouldn’t want t go again.

Some of the “angriest” times were when a Bomber’s supporter called for a deliberate and the Carlton mob threw a beer (almost empty) at him from 10 rows back and threatened to belt him.

IMO this kind of rule doesn’t add excitement but allows for match-fixing and can cause crowd violence.

2 Likes

I’m not one to write him off so quickly but you get as angry as you like.

Got lucky and scored tickets in the Ponsford.
Didn’t hear a peep from FC supporters till about 10 minutes to go.
Everyone was moving up under cover and nabbing dry seats.
Train home was full of bombers as it was against Whoereforn

Travel Coyler

1 Like

For anyone who’s interested, the AWFL sends out these ‘fan focus’ surveys every month or so.

The latest one focussed heavily on the look and style of game, and if you liked it, and why is important for the ‘laws of the game committee’ to focus on.

No doubt all this negative press is going to make them change the rule.

It also touched on all ups (which the call throw ups I think) and is it important to bounce it. So be prepared for the centre bounce to disappear.

It horseshit. They just get a fan survey to influence a committee to modify interpretations to make the game a spectacle.

It’s no longer a sport that we used to know as Australian Rules Football. It’s entertainment known as AFL.

9 Likes

how else can they fix a game if the umpires cant guess intent ??

2 Likes

One of the worst decisions I have ever seen yesterday when a North player got a free after knocking it over the line after a Melbourne handball. Clearly the umpire could not see so guessed.

1 Like

That was Pig who was penalised. Dead set shocker and as clear as day. The ump should’ve sacked for it