The Dire State Of The Game

The AFL farked the game. Fark the AFL.
Can’t wait for the first nil all draw.

16 minute quarters has made it a much poorer game, with fewer momentum swings and less time for each game to develop a unique story - without a longer arc each game has felt so samey samey. Also shorter games exacerbates the effect of bad umpiring decisions.

The greasy and wet conditions in much of Northern Australia have not helped either.

1 Like

And then you have ‘knocked out in the tackle’ that conveniently palms the ball into a passing teammate’s hands.

Maybe this is a bit out there, but…could we have two classifications of holding the ball?

One for clearances and one for free play?
A tackle within ten metres of a stoppage follows the current holding the ball rules, but a tackle outside that has a strict interpretation of either kick, handball or free kick?

Get rid of the percentage column on the ladder, make it “points for” instead. No brainer.

You can’t expect coaches to want to improve scoring unless there’s some incentive in it for them. It seems very obvious to me. And wouldn’t need any rule changes to the game on the field.

4 Likes

Eeehhhh.
I don’t buy into this as the cause to all the game’s problems.

I’ll have a think about that. But my initial thoughts are more about simplifying, not creating more issues i.e. was that tackle within 10 metres or not etc.

1 Like

I think they should scrap this east west bullshit that the player on the mark can do. It just closes off space Making more congestion. If the player mans the mark they should have to stay where the mark was taken, if they want to east west on the mark then the player with the ball can go off his line as much as he wants without getting called play on.

Also once you man the mark thats it nobody else can sag back And take your spot letting you free up and run back to help congest further down field. I noticed they finally started pinging a few 50’s against players doing this.

1 Like