The Dog Thread

Cute little salami

1 Like

I’m stuck in bed today with a bad case of tonsillitis. It’s nice to have company.

9 Likes

Oscar and Wally hope you get well soon

6 Likes

Thanks guys!!

1 Like

The best company when you’re not well! Hope you’re feeling better soon.

1 Like

Hey Blitzers with large dogs,

I’ve got a golden lab that sleeps on a hessian sack bed (metal framed).

He doesnt chew it, nor claw away at the hessian, yet I get a week, maybe 2 weeks tops before I have to replace it.

I’d like to keep the frame, any ideas how I can get the hessian to last longer?

How are they going? Scratched up?

We have 2 of them around the joint, they have shadecloth.

Not scratched, torn and frayed.

I think its from him jumping on/off the bed and putting his weight onto the hessian…

Did you use ‘shadecloth’ instead of hessian? Just regular stuff from Bunnings cut to size?

Still on the original ones from when they bought them but it seems to be normal shadecloth.
Our dog was a chronic chewer when she was little, so they’re both ragged around the edges, but they haven’t gotten any worse in 3-4 years.

1 Like

ahhh, the bed actually came with a shadecloth cover.

5 meters of shadecloth is about $25 bucks at Bunnings - might just try that with some zip ties and see how I go.

Or I might see if I can get one online that matches the bed: https://theshadecentre.com.au/product-category/pet-beds-pillows/pet-bed-replacement-covers/

Thanks!

How are mutt’s claws? Longish? Maybe part of it??

nah reasonably trimmed nails.

In our house it works like this.

9 Likes

Pupper is absolutely mortified of the baby monitor!

Ozzy is our baby monitor! It’s amazing how protective he is of our/his little girl.

2 Likes

We used chaff sacks as replacements and put hessian with foam inside on top for comfort. Also had a great one that was made from canvas - with some padding. Not sure where we got it (a pet store!) but it lasted the distance without needing to be replaced ever! (Golden retriever, Labrador & Doberman)

1 Like

Had to put our girl to sleep last week. She went downhill really fast and at 15 it was the best option. First time in over 21 years we have been without a dog. Really strange feeling, you are always doing things out of habit but they aren’t there. Cuts you up every time, ■■■■■■ animals.

15 Likes

Feeling for you - such a beautiful face. The kindest but hardest thing to do. We are dogless for the first time in over 40 years. Certainly leaves a big hollow space in your heart.

5 Likes

That’s very sad PH. But you did the right thing. I don’t like people who let the animal suffer so they can hang on to it. And she will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge when the time comes.

And agree with loyalandproud - a beautiful face.

7 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss. After so long with a dog around it would be really hard to adjust, we tailor our lives around their needs - for the better - and it would be a hollow feeling right now. Our friends have two beagles and they’re such beautifuly natured dogs. I’m glad yours’ didn’t suffer.

4 Likes