The Dog Thread

We have a black lab too, Teddy.

He’s great, we love him & I will post a photo as soon as I work out how to do that

14 Likes

I think I just uploaded a photo

Wow!

9 Likes

I love the idea that you’re getting a rescue dog (maybe even 2?? We always had at least 2 dogs when we worked). Choose something suited to your situation ie don’t get a Kelpie cross if you don’t live on a suitable property.
We’ve had Setters (Irish & English- gorgeous but wanderers), Golden Retrievers (Father & son - perfectly behaved), Dobermen (one a rescue, one from puppy - special but needy), 2 labradors - great natures but puppies til they were old!!
Go with your heart -(as an add on I’ll just say that the little Maltese Shihitzu crosses seem to be great with kids.)
In the end you’ll know - just love them, take them to puppy school & dog obedience of some sort & enjoy/love your newest family member.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Great face :blush:

1 Like

Love the repair job that has also been chewed through

2 Likes

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
And they’re gorgeous as puppies.

18 Likes

We had a Maltese Shihitzu and he was so wonderful with my Heff7 when he was a baby. The dog would follow bub everywhere - sleeping under his bassinet, super attentive when we went for a walk, would even roll over when it was tummy time!

7 Likes

My brown Lab has a horrible habit that when people bend down to pat him, he jumps up head butting them in the face.

All I can do is apologize, even know I know he’s gonna do it every time.

3 Likes

The other day we went to the zoo, there was only one dog there, it was a shihitzu

2 Likes

Our Black Lab does that and he has a very hard head. I was told he would grow out of it, he is now 10 and we are still hoping

3 Likes

the two black labs I’m looking after do it too!

2 Likes

While I am away Mrs Fox has our two working as Psychotherapists

11 Likes

Always had shepherds or alsations as they were called when I was a kid back in London. When my last one died 5 years ago I said, as you do, no more dogs.
Now have 2 smithfields. Both rescue dogs. One a pup 3 years ago that was lucky to make it to 6 months old and then recently a 9 year old whose owner is now in a home with dementia and his son didn’t want the dog anymore and was going to put her down. Smithies are amazing dogs but do need a lot and I mean a lot, of exercise. Took them to a country show down here in tas and a farmer, they love em, asked how much I wanted to let our smithy be friendly with his female smithy. We all went home disappointed. Me with no money and Fergus missing out on some rumpy pumpy because they knackered him at the rescue centre when he was a pup.

5 Likes

I checked out the FB page of the Tassie Smithfield Rescue and they look like a lively dog. Do yours jump as high as the one on their page ?

He’s grown a bit

10 Likes

He clears our fence when he wants to. Big engines, can run 20 k a day. Thats why the farmers love them. Wish we had a few players that could do that.

He’s magnificent!

1 Like

Waffles the dog joined the Heff household today. She was the rejected pup of the litter because he hair isn’t curling like a cavoodle. Reckon she goes alright.

23 Likes

She’s a stunner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Likely turn out the pick of them. The lack of curl shows genetic diversity, the lack of which is a real problem with pure breds these days.

She’s an individual. Can’t beat that.

1 Like