The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

If we were going to let Hooker go it would’ve been last year as a free agent and we would’ve received pick 2 as compo. No ■■■■■■■ way they’ll trade him after he signed a five year deal 12 months ago and just kicked over 40 goals

2 Likes

Played stinkers in grand finals. Didn’t have any troubles in early finals. Kicked 3 a handful of times, had 30 in his 2nd last final of his career.

So why are you trying?
Fact is they got a terrific deal on a broken down old bloke.
Who wouldn’t take that deal?

1 Like

htcman = Hooker trade craziness man?

4 Likes

I don’t think we should, but if there is a big piece we can move in trade, he’s it. Realistically he’s got maybe 2-3 years left of top footy, and might get us a first rounder. Worth thinking about.

Deep Breath. Don’t trade put good players. You rarely win.

Trade in players with potential, starved of opportunity at their current clubs and trade put guys surplus to our needs.

Top up with free agency.

We should be trading Goddard to a destination good for club and player. Maybe back to Stkilda. He’s got maybe a year of half decent footy left in him. At best he is this years Sam Mitchell. Whose trade I actual think was a hawthorn masterstroke. Well done to them.

We need a stronger contested player as a chop out. Play Bird, recruit M Kennedy from GWS and chase Rockcliff as Jimmy Bartel suggested in the rags.

Heck give Jimmy Bartel a midfield coaching role at the club.

I’d be happy with that.

2 Likes

Ahh, ummm I’m not sure how to break this to you but you brought Myers & Howlett into the discussion not me.
Deledio still played 11 games in 2016 and averaged 23 disposals per game. That was the 1st time in his career he had missed a significant part of a season to injury. Sure in hindsight you can say it looks a no brainer but we’ve never traded out anyone of that calibre even when they were older. Again he was the vice captain & clearly one of their best players, its nonsense to suggest that was an easy deal to take at the time. We could very likely get a similar value right now for Hooker. Time may show the injuries that kept him out of the finals compound & he’s actually a broken down old bloke as well but lets not fool ourselves that trading him right now would be easy. The whole point is that Richmond took a risk, traded out one of their best players, targeted & delivered 2 starting mids & a ruckman. Thats exactly the type of trading we need to do. For the 1st time in living memory Richmond actually did something we should aspire to.

1 Like

So why are Parish and McG straight up best 22 and Langford and Francis aren’t?

You don’t agree that we should see what those young VFL players could get in the way of a ready made best 22 player?

But he wasn’t one of their best players when they traded him.They didn’t trade 2008 model B Deledio, despite what GWS (over)paid. He’d finished 10th in their B&F, just ahead of David Astbury; he was ultra reliable for his first decade but his body started falling apart last year.

He’d had 4 week soft tissue injuries in 2014 and 2015 too. Fair play to Richmond for taking a very stupid offer.

I did. Straight away. Because I’ve never had that belief.

And…

Your narrative doesn’t compute.

Then you’re wrong.

1 Like

With young midfielders like Parish, Merret, Mcg, i still think Ablett has some value as a forward with time in the midfield, also try Rockcliff because i don’t think we have the right picks or players to land Kelly.

those were the days.

2 Likes

I wonder, which if any trade ideas floated here might actually happen.

I fully expect some trade to come out of nowhere and maybe even one of our players we least expect to be traded to be moved on.

That depends on whether we break with tradition and become “easier” to deal with in trade negotiations, in which case, Jackets will probably cop it for giving picks/players away for less than their value as perceived by Blitz folk

With Mad monday over, end of season interviews starting and papers being signed off. Looks like some fun weeks ahead of us !

Not at all, I rate hime as a player and value.

We need to trade assets to get assets, people forget this.

No you dont…and it hardly ever happens…you trade picks/future picks or players you dont need or players who are unhappy.
You do not trade players you do need who are happy with the club.
Your comment about trading hooker is the dumbest thing i have heard for a while, like complete imbecile type dumb.
We need to bring in players to capitalise on having players like hooker on the list. This guy just kicked 40 goals in his first year as a fwd and averaged more contested marks than anyone in the comp ffs

2 Likes

It seems like trading for the sake of it. Hooker is a fully-developed gun player who can offer loads at either end of the ground. He’s not yet in his twilight, a few peak years left. Any team would take him and value him, and he’s what we need, so it’d be madness to do anything but keep him.

Because this is Blitz, people will read this as “So hes our blah, blah, blah, blah, and he also does hard tag”

See you were just talking about podcasting

Trade Hooker talk is insanity. Critical to our structure with no current replacement option.

And even more critical to the soul of the club.

You don’t mess with that.

17 Likes

Out team kicked over 100 goals from our 2 Tall forwards.
How many other clubs did that?