The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Yes you need to be willing to offer something good to get something good.

But clubs don’t offer up a good player to get another good player unless that player has expressed a willingness to be traded.

should trade joe dan. could get pick 1 for him and get that PEGS gun. Reckon carlton would like Hurley too. Trade hurley for kruezer and cripps. Midfield set for the next 10 years.

2 Likes

I agree with this. Hooker kicked 40 goals for the season. I call that a success by any possible standard. Our whole forward line was a success! Why anyone would want to meddle with with this is beyond my understanding. Why you you want to push Hooker back to defense is at least understandable.

I am expecting the 2018 forward line to be pretty much the same as the 2017. Fantasia, Tippa or BBB would have to come on as major ball magnet midfielders in order there to be Mutch (see what I did?) change.

List management is incredibly complex with so many facets and it’s simply not as easy as these 10 guys should go because they can’t impact a game etc… as other have said these decisions can’t be made in a vacuum they have a direct relationship with your TPP, available talent both draft, trade, free agency and contract length. Simply If you don’t rate this years draft but you love next years you can’t cut everyone this year. In saying that there is plenty of pruning to be done.

Yes I wondered that. But if he is and is playing as he has been then he shouldn’t be playing?

I’ve only just skimmed through the last 100 posts or so but is it safe to assume that those suggesting to trade Heppell and Hooker were either taken out of context or just a ■■■■ take?

Fair enough. I’m still in the Hooker as a backman camp, and if he could be covered in the forward line I’d love to see him go back to where he does his best work.

Nope.

People were legit.

1 Like

Twice? I know once was with the potential West Coast deal, but when was the second time?

Htcman, there is a flaw in your logic. If we decide that we are trading out Hooker to rebuild, then that is one thing. But if it is to get a “gun midfielder” as you say, then what is the point? Hooker is our second most important forward. You switch him for a midfielder and the impact on team performance is probably negligible. If we’re pushing for finals, Hooker must stay, if we’re not then why wouldn’t you be trading Hurley as well?

I’m not totally against the idea, I said we should seriously consider doing something similar in 2015 and 2016. But the reality is that at both those times we’d have got more value at the trade table, and potentially less damage to team culture, than now. I think the strategy is locked in, and we really need to hope we can nail some mids with picks (either in trade or at the draft), or we may very well be looking at a long period of mid-table stagnation again.

1 Like

He was given the choice to leave us like all the returning suspended players. He chose to stay.

In that sense every player who ever re-signs with a club has chosen not to leave the club.

That’s bullshit.
There are about 15 players that have good trade value on our list. It’s not even hard to see it.

Because players are not kids, they realise that every club makes the decision to trade players, from time to time.

1 Like

except for the kids… that we want them to play.

1 Like

This was different and you know it so don’t be asinine. He had been through hell and was given a chance to leave no questions asked and no issues to stop him. He chose not to, he wanted to remain and he still does. It is very different to “every other player”.

1 Like

If I can step in for htc, I think he (and Hurley) are the two guys that have trade value that don’t hurt us in our areas of weakness.
Trading out Heppell, a clearance mid, would be stupid because when we’ve got such a dearth of clearance mids. Trading out Colyer or Zaha when we’ve got such poor stocks of outside run. Etc.

If Hooker goes out, yes he’s our best contested marking forward, but we could cover him (albeit at a step down) with Smack, theoretically a fitter 2018 Francis, a new get or even (with some rejiggling of roles) Laverde.

1 Like

This was definitely a choice.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon reveals phone call from WA-bred defender Cale Hooker, informing him of his decision to stay with Essendon

DOCKERS coach Ross Lyon has revealed Essendon’s Cale Hooker called him on Tuesday night to break the news that he would not be coming to the club.
BRADEN QUARTERMAINE
PerthNowApril 27, 20162:40pm

FREMANTLE coach Ross Lyon has revealed Essendon’s Cale Hooker called him on Tuesday night to break the news that he would not be coming to the Dockers.

Hooker, an East Fremantle product, has signed a five-year deal to remain with the Bombers despite his season-long drug ban.

Lyon said he had a “really strong’’ relationship with the 27-year-old All-Australian swingman, but that he wasn’t surprised Hooker turned down Fremantle’s contract offer.

“Well to be truthful, he was respectful and rang last night and said he wanted to talk to me, even before he spoke to his mum,’’ Lyon said.

“So we’ve got a really strong relationship. Does it surprise me? No, because he’s very loyal to his football club.

“He had a number of Melbourne clubs (interested in him as well.) I wish him all the best. (He’s a) really good person.

“From our end, clearly our list management identified him, as did a number of other clubs. You didn’t have to be a genius did you?

“That chapter’s shut and we all move on and it never was.’’

Put that way, yes, the numbers go down.
I’d say you could, however, put Walla, Fanta, or Green in there. Maybe Conor or Gleeson.

Trading out someone like Hurley (i know you’re not saying that) will make our defence an area of weakness. We are in such a precarious position that we don’t have a surplus of anything to give away except young players who may come good which kind of defeats the purpose of trading in some way. Francis, lav or Langford have trade value because no one knows how they’ll turn out and they are young. Trading out Hurley or hooker or heppell hurts us further because our only replacements on our list are the above mentioned and we just don’t know what they are like.

1 Like