The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

40 goal a year 2nd KPF don’t grow on trees in fact, hooker is actually the 2nd best at it in the league spot last year (Patton kicked one more goal than him)

if your idea of sending him back is to fix the backline is flawed logic for mine.

Our midfield was 15th in the league for clearances, yet our forward line was 2nd in efficiency, our midfield was 17th in clearances conceded.

Point is it’s hard to judge how effective our back line is given how much they were under the pump all year by our terrible midfield but our forward line is effective as ■■■■

15 Likes

Spot on @benfti

Also Hooker was 2nd iirc at contested marks.

It’s very very hard to take marks in a fwd line and the ability to is vital. Not just for scoring but for giving us time to rest/ setup defensively properly.

We aren’t moving him anytime soon.

Fixing out midfield fixes out backline

10 Likes

Have to agree with this our backline holds up pretty well when our midfield is at least breaking even.

Walla, Fanta and Conor will play minutes in outside midfield roles at some point. Not huge amounts, granted. The point I’m driving at is I don’t think it’d be smart darts to trade anyone (young or young ish) who’s a running player.

Which only really leaves Hooker, Hurley, Bellcho and Leuney.

He was offered to GC for Caddy.

We have (by my count) Brown, Francis, Hartley, Dea, Ambrose, Hurley & Gleeson who played key or key-ish tall back roles this year and Smack and Hooker have both played that role before. And Ridley may end up pinch hitting as a tall. That’s a full AFL set of 3 + a VFL set of 3 and a couple of extras.

Up forward it’s a similar story, JoeD, Stewart, Hooker, Francis, Langford, Smack, Laverde (kinda), Hurley.

There’s a risk, granted. But everyone is some sort of risk, it’s a part of life. Maybe it’s time to take that risk? Roll the dice on Brown holding his own down back until Francis pushes him out? Or smack doing the same forward?

What year is it?

Yeah but jake lever tho…

The last few posts, astonishing. I dont know where to begin. In fact, I must surely be having some sort of brain bleed or TIA because it all reads as nonsense.

So, I’m just gonna say this. The “Mckernan could cover Hooker up forward , or Brown can cover Hurley down back until Francis is good” position is actually not one iota different to saying “Its ok, Howlett can cover for Hepp until Mutch is an Afl beast”.

Collectively, we’ve all spent the last few days on the sauce. Clearly.

27 Likes

What about hocking? hes a finals proven ruckman, surely that height can translate into a marking key forward?

1 Like

Cos I have actually gone full dingus and said I want him gone at all costs…

It’s an idea.
I think we can discuss it without getting too het up?

1 Like

Kicked 2 goals in his last game, he’s in good form!

No. My point is that you cant say Heppell cant go because we have no depth to cover him , but then say that Hooker or Hurley can because …well… Smack.

The argument is inconsistent with itself. They’re all either untouchable , or they’re all bait for two gun mids, 2 top 10 picks (whatever it is the trade scenario is trying to accomplish) because the arguments are actually the same for all three.

Personally, technically no one is untouchable. But in the real world, i cannot fathom moving any of them on in our current position. If you think Francis, Laverde etc are going to be good, then surely you keep the current top level - who are All Australians fwiw in the last few years - and add the kids in as they come through?

Edit: ps - “het up”. Outstanding. Doesnt get enough use these days. Seriously.

3 Likes

But I don’t believe he refused to go, GC didn’t want him. I don’t know if it ever got to the stage of asking him.

What? Why?

Some players are clearly more touchable than others, based on age, position, relative strength and depth in their position… if they’re the captain…

I don’t know why you need to act like we’re sacrificing them on a blood altar, it’s a forum, it’s the silly season, this is what we do.

It depends, if all it took to get a 22yo borderline superstar like Kelly over the line was trading out a 29 year old?

With the knowledge that we’re 7-8 goals off the best 2 sides this year. I think it makes sense to build on the Heppell-and-down age group.

Of course they are. But you set the parameters of the three as “we can/cant cover for them” to declare that two could be considered for trade and the other couldnt. I was replying purely in that context. And I’ll repeat the bit that i found most incredulous - the damage could be mitigated by (the almost certainly delisted in the next month) Mckernan. If you think thats true, then- using roughly the same level of equivalence - equally Hocking/Howlett could “nearly” do Heppells job, no? So in that sense, i view all three as equally expendable, or not. Purely viewed as the parameters you set.

Yep, its a forum and yep, its what we do. Including responses. To be frank, my first thought on reading your post was that you would tear that post to pieces, lol.

If you want to argue the ages etc, then thats a totally different equation and i could see some validity. Though i would argue that putting the club back together ‘spiritually’ would counter any draft benefit of moving Hooksy on in any way, shape or form. We both know how important off field is to club greatness. Different matter if he wanted to leave, of course.

1 Like

Clearly no one wants to go to North Melbourne.

It must be quite embarrassing for them.

How about, we package up all our remaining uncontracted players, and trade them to North for a single draft pick. Like those $1 bags of random vegetables that you see at the supermarket.

They can prepare a press announcement for…I don’t know…McKernan? Howlett?

The players will probably end up being paid double their worth. It would be a win for them.

3 Likes

That’s a really good line, man. Well done!

2 Likes

It hurts to suggest it, but I think trading Hurley to get some currency for a Kelly trade seems a good idea. Hurls is a wonderful player. But as we know he takes time to return to form after injury, and has a history of injury, 27 years old, and has plenty of value after an all-Australian year. Hard call, especially considering there were times this year when I thought he looked our best player. Thoughts?