The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Last one on this, to try and clarify my position.

2017 I walk away knowing our midfield is not top 8 material, I also know the modern game is built around a strong midfield.

EFC has not had a strong midfield for 15 years and in that same time we have been the most mediocre to disappointing club on field in the league.

WE NEED TO FIX OUR MIDFIELD. This should be our no.1 priority - by drafting and bringing in established talent through trading.

I also think that 2018 and 2019 we will finish 10-12th and I hope in that time we have drafted and traded in talent that can bring success with our new generation of Joey, Merret, McGrath etc from 2020 on wards

I would be happy to move on Bellchambers for Josh Kelly, but it’s not going to happen - so you need to look at which players would hold value and with his age and talent - I think he would hold some value.

My fear is we continue to fumble our way to a better midfield, 2018 and 2019 we miss finals - and 2020 we have a Hooker turning 32 and then what? Sure it might be great for player morale - but what about turning this club back into a powerhouse onfield?

I don’t care if players get ticked off at our club, I don’t support the players - I support EFC. I also don’t get welded to players like people here, I don’t have an issue seeing Ryder at PFC, because I support EFC.

I just wan’t this club to be a powerhouse, that is feared and a threat in finals.

FIX THE MIDFIELD

2 Likes

Hey Hurley Trade Crazy Man

Right issue

Wrong solutions

Points for persistence

For some reason Blitz isn’t sending me notifications for replies…

Nah, I’m only saying that if there were a suitable replacement for Hooker in the forward line, I wouldn’t go trading him out to get a midfielder, it’d be awesome to be able to send him back to where we know he plays arguably his best footy.

The other poster wanted to ship him out, I was saying that he’s incredibly valuable to the team. Yes, I agree entirely that his forward role is not one that just anyone can step into, and I agree he’s doing a great job there, I’ve never said otherwise.

2 Likes

I’m saying that moving him back weakens the forward line because finding someone who can do what he does forward is damn near impossible for a marginal improvement to the backline give how crap our midfield is defensively.

Fix the mids and it fixes everything.

Keep Hooker forward.

5 Likes

Possibly labouring my point about North…but Majak Daw still has two more years under contract! Two years! Majak Daw!..am I wrong to regard McKernan as a better player? The stats seem to indicate that Shaun is slightly better:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&pid1=3134&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=13&pid2=3390&fid2=S&type=A

In my fantasies, North get rid of Goldy, realise that they are one Brown injury away from oblivion, and have an interest in an option like McKernan…not for much, just something…

Just sell it as bringing the McKernan name home.

“Blitz Post Season Goes Ape!”

We should ask fark carlton as well

Agreed. Hence my condition of if we found someone who could be as effective up forward as he is. You’re going a bit straw man against me here.

Yes, I remember saying that specifically, particularly the “at all costs” bit.

It’s hard for me to live with the fact that Dyson Heppel is in our team. In fact, trading him away at all costs wouldn’t be enough. Is there some way we can force him to retire or something?

How can a club be a powerhouse without the players being happy and giving their all for the club?

it’s all part of the pie, surely.

I wouldn’t be against trading anyone older than Heppell. The future of this list is the Heppell and down age groups. Clearly. Everything the club is saying about recruitment backs this up.

Though i would argue that putting the club back together ‘spiritually’ would counter any draft benefit of moving Hooksy on in any way, shape or form. We both know how important off field is to club greatness. Different matter if he wanted to leave, of course.

Is the culture actually any good now? I’ve made the argument in other threads that whatever inner strength was there in the Hird/Thompson Watson/Stanton sides of 13/14 evaporated when Hird started to wither in '15.
There’s certainly still mental fragilities and inconsistencies in the group, there didn’t seem to be any belief we could beat Sydney. We basically rolled over.

Without having any idea at all how the culture in the group actually works, I think if i suggested 40 different names on our list, someone would think every one of them is a vital heart and soul clubman who we couldn’t possibly trade ever.
We, as a fanbase, don’t seem to like guys being traded. I think we need to get over that.

You’d have to kneecap him, you monster? :wink:

can someone look up how GWS have gone this year after their heart and soul was ripped out by trading out 6 guys? They finished bottom, right? What about Sydney after they traded out two, they don’t have any fight left anymore? Adelaide after trading out Lyons?

“Players traded out = club falls apart” is such a childish line of argument. They’re professionals.

Just one?

You’re package hasn’t been delivered?

This all started when the Stringer rumours surfaced.
I think it’s a sign.

1 Like

North have been developing Pruess as the Goldstein replacement. He’ll be ready to take over next year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if North delist Majak.

North were hoping to offload Goldstein in any trade to dump his salary. Given Dusty and Kelly are off the table, I think they’ll hold onto him unless they get a pick upgrade in return.

I can see someone like the Bulldogs (Geelong or GWS as well) trading their first round for Goldstein and North’s second plus a later pick (or North paying a portion of his salary).

So trading Lyons is like trading Hooker???

Robbing Peter to pay Paul

I can’t think of any other player Adelaide have traded, recently. I mean if they traded their clearly best player they’d obviously plummet. Right?