The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

A player kept on the list for depth in our position is as stupid as any other time it’s been mentioned.
It’s also pretty ■■■■■■■ stupid to do it when said player isn’t even used as depth now.

Jerrett and bird should both be gone, what is the point of keeping them if you’re not going to play them ? whether you have to cull 10 cos of it or not, no point keeping players you refuse to play, let alone for depth.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if they delisted Jerrett and he signed up with the VFL team for a year or two.

Not sure about the refusal to play thing. We had a really good run injury wise this year.

Jerrett was named emergency multiple times as had reasonably good form in 2’s and probably would have come in late in year given Colyers drop in form but he was injured.

Bird was also called upon as depth whenever Jobe missed.

also on long he IMO he like a few rare players will always never shine in the VFL to varying degrees.

He like tippa, like Rioli from richmond are moreso impact players who should be there to apply pressure.

Tippa had had more impact in the vfl sure, but lets not forget he was going to walk away 2 years ago cos he wasn’t progressing to where he wanted to, and probably without the 12 being suspended, we be lost to our side for good.

Now ?? would anyone want him out of the side ?

Similar to rioli from richmond you hear how the players were happy for him after saturdays game cos he finally got reward for the effort that know and acknowledge he puts in, despite the outside noise about not doing enough or getting the ball enough.

You get long into the seniors and just play him (providing he is doing all that pressure stuff) and just leave him there, he could turn into a player IMO.

But if people are expecting him to get 30 odd disposals a week for 10 weeks before they even remotely think about picking him from the vfl level, then you’re dreaming cos it’ll never happen.

He is an impact player who gets lost in transition of a inferior comeptition with less skilled players and less structure, and less predictable team mates and outputs etc etc.

6 Likes

In an ideal world, yes. However with the draft being weak apparently it may be worth keeping some and delisting next season

I still remember the long to Daniher pass. Was so good to see.
Hope he stays on the last. Agree that he could be a defensive forward.
I personally would have liked him triied when Green got injured, or to replace colyer.

3 Likes

When Green got injured would have been the prefect opportunity to try him in that role.

Unfortunately Longy got suspended though so it ruled it out.

He has to be upgraded now due to being a third year rookie but I would give him a year and try him as a defensive forward. They are integral to the game and we all know how important Walla is to the team.

These players probably didn’t get a go because we were trying to make finals. If we are to move on players it has to be the likes of Bird, Howlett, Smack, Jerrett,

Pity the draft is so average this year.

We’ve lost 4 senior players already in Jobe, Kelly, Hocking and Stanton. If we add even 2 more to that list (Jackson Merrett and Morgan/Howlett/Bird) that is 6 players that we need to look at in the draft. McNiece and Draper are the only rookies I would consider safe, but neither of them have really earned a senior list spot.

You forgot Delidio being traded out

Retaining Jerrett for another year would be a decision which illustrates why Essendon have been mediocre so long.

10 Likes

Is there a minimum number of spots we have to change each year? If so why? Just thinking if teams were happy with their list and didnt want any changes in the unlikely scenario?

Minimum 3 i believe, but can be any combination of draft, trade, fa and rookie upgrade

1 Like

Cheers mate, thanks.

What’s that James Gwilt?

You have to bring in 3 players from either the draft or promoted rookies. Trades do not count. The reason for it is to make sure that there is always sufficient demand for players in the draft, which helps ensure kids who are top sportsmen choose aussie rules over other sports.

4 Likes

It won’t be, trust me.

3 Likes

I think Bird will stay and Howlet goes.

I suspect they will do the opposite and keep Hewlett but get rid of Bird.
I hope we’re both wrong and we get rid of both.

2 Likes

It’s prolly worth delisting closer to the 8 and trialling state players.

We don’t really need depth at present. we need players to overtake some of the senior 22, and you aren’t gonna get that keeping howlett, morgan etc etc. cull the lot unless you think you can turn them into a best 22 player, trade in some players, draft some weak draft or not, and pick up hungry players that will push the club forward.

1 Like