The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

2 of Myers, Bird and Howlett need to go.

I’m hopefully WC in losing Priddis & Mitchell will want to bring in experienced inside mids and both Myers and Howlett from WA. Myers contracted and has most currency of the two.

Bird perhaps to Brisbane if Rockliff goes, not remotely at same class level but another experienced head to be up there as their kids develop. He should be getting opportunity at a spoon side. That or just delisted.

2 Likes

Drink!

3 Likes

I reckon we won’t be seeing much broom action for a while.

As it stands we have 4 picks in what is supposedly a weak draft. We’ll be looking to add players via trade, but until we’ve done that we won’t know which areas we’ve been successful in filling, and which are still outstanding.

There are a whole lot of guys who you’d think would depend on what happens at trade. Bird, Dea, Howlett, Morgan, Jackson Merrett, Long, McKernan, etc.

Then there are the guys that might be tradeable(eg one of Brown and Hartley if we decide Francis is a key back or we get a Schache to provide depth forward and potentially free up Hooker if required), but who we’d happily keep.

It’s pretty possible that we could free up 10+ spots on the main list. And it’s also certain that we wouldn’t take 10 picks to this draft. So we have to wait and see. What can we get in trade, will we upgrade Draper and/or Long, how many picks do we really want, will we add a DFA or 2?

Time will tell.

4 Likes

If we are going to get rid of a howlett or Bird then I hope we get Nick Hind.

Pace and tough.

2 Likes

Dea is contracted. I doubt we’ll be getting rid of contracted blokes.

I think it will be a max 8 main list spots freed up. 4 already, plus possibly (hopefully) Bird, Jerrett, Howlett, Morgan. Morgan should be the only one they even half think about keeping.

1 Like

Thanks Ants for your explanation on the draft/list numbers.
Much appreciated.

I cannot believe people are making cases for long and jerrett staying. Like WTF

5 Likes

You’d be keeping either of them on the potential they have not what they’ve done. Which is not ideal.

What on earth?

Same.

One of few with genuine pace. Not sure you can ever have enough these days.

Very rusty, blunt old steak knives. But steak knives all the same.

Sydney forced us to take him when we traded for their picks, do people think he’s somehow improved his stocks in the past two years to a point he’s worth a positive value at the trade table?

If we could trade with country clubs he could be worth something :slight_smile:
eg. Maybe they could promise to send a busload of people down to one of our etihad games against an interstate side.

1 Like

I don’t know if he has the arrogance (or even confidence) to really use his pace Lewis Jetta style. He’s almost Leroy Jetta like in that sense IMO (yes I know he’d be quicker). What surprised me was a couple of neat mop up ground gathers and neat (admittedly not overly difficult) kicks to a chest to calm things down and retain possession. No idea if he’ll make it or not but I can see why they think he could be an AFL player. There’s no question he has that class aspect which some players never will.

3 Likes

Long was alright in his small sample of AFL games, but I find it hard to believe he’ll make fewer catastrophic errors at that level than he does in the VFL…

I asked a hypothetical. I think answering the hypothetical is reasonable. No one is saying they expect them to be retained. But in the hypothetical case of not wanting to cut any deeper than one of them …

We have ages until trade period, and longer to the draft, it was just a time filler to understand the way people saw some of the players.

As I said elsewhere, you could clear 10+ spaces on the list, but we won’t want 10 picks in a shallow draft. We might want to keep one or 2 as depth and to give us more picks in next year’s draft.

Unless his catastrophic errors are because he’s a step ahead of VFL standard players.

I’m not suggesting that that is true, but it was definitely true for his father in 1989.

1 Like

swing the broom, give some state league players a shot.

finish in the 8-12 range again and do it again next year.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Give some VFL boys a run. The League is underutilised

I’d give Jerrett & Morgan another year each as they’re both still young and have ability. I’d keep Smack as both Belly & Leuny are injury prone, and keep McNiece if he has recovered fully from his neck injury.
Retired – Jobe, Heath, Kelly, Stants
Delist – Howlett, Bird, Long
Upgrade – Draper