The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

@Killer_Mike
Agree about Nick Hind
I am concerned that another club like tbe Bulldogs will snare him
They took Rory Dickson,Campbell and from underpirnose(Not to mention Cramers). Yhat wasprobably because of McCartney

yes, hes always sniffing around Essendon VFL games.

His best role is a ruck rover. He isnā€™t tall enough to compete in the ruck, and gives away too many cheap frees. He is also not a KPF.

1 Like

Heā€™s only a small guy Nick, but he has a real hard edge to him. The thing that impressed me about him is heā€™s always wanting to take the game on with his pace.

I think he will definitely get picked up by somebody.

Redpath, Campbell & Stringer as well.

It was a lot to do with Shannon Grant heading over to the Bulldogs imo.

One of the greatest Blitz myths.

While theoretically he appears that he should be able to play that role, he never actually has.

His best role is mobile ruck in the John Barnes mold. He doesnā€™t have the tank to do that all game week in week out, and tends to go missing late in quarters and games when trying to do that. And with the way the game is played/umpired he just canā€™t jump over the super tall guys, or wrestle with them, which leads to him giving away frees.

Heā€™s back up in a number of positions. And thatā€™s ok. Like Jay Neagle though, heā€™d have been more suited to the game a generation earlier.

If he didnā€™t play in the final vs. Sydney, I think we can rule him out as KF backup. Rightly so given heā€™s never performed well in that role at AFL level. His best performances at AFL level have all been in the ruck.

The reality is that Lavender is quite possibly miles off it. He might not even start VFL, but start in the EDFL. Draper also has a lot of learning to do. McKernan is almost certainly seen as cover for the two (historically injury-prone) main rucks.

I think there is ā€œpossibly miles off itā€, daylight and then Lavender! Coming from along way back.

Out of interest, is playing in the EDFL an option? Has there been recent examples of this?

I suspect Lukey will develop quickly, but it will still be some time before he is a contributor at VFL level. Iā€™ve often wondered if there is a level below VFL where those with no experience can learn their craft.

Thanks Ants.

I would have thought that it would be in the best interest of Luke and the club that he plays in the VFL where he can be monitored and developed under the gaze of the coaches.

2 Likes

Agree totally, but I guess it could kill a kidā€™s confidence if they have weeks upon weeks of no impact.

I guess the beauty of being a ruckman is that their opportunity to be in and around the play is maximised.

1 Like

He will be right mate, they wont let him flounder.

His only concern will be the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  umpires. They hate Essendon.

1 Like

Have a look at our other Rookie Rucks progression this year.
preseason get fit, injuries sorted.
slot in forward pocket and relief ruck.
later in season split ruck duties
End of season, take over most of ruck duties.

At this stage you would Probably have Luey/Draper sharing Ruck duties in the VFL and Lavender in the forward Pocket or taking another Key position spot .
Depending on injuries Lavender would need to take more of Ruck load later in the season, also depends what we do with McKernan, but he can just play full time forward in VFL to give the other guys experience.

I would hope to Develop Lukeā€™s forward craft, so he is dangerous and can take a grab up forward, and split ruck duties with Leuy/Draper by the end of the year

1 Like

Aka a ruck rover role. Agree that he is mobile enough, and tank is questionable.

Draper also had a year of rapid improvement playing footy in SA. Going from like 3rds to seniors in that time.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure we do. Certainly teams where the VFL listed members play. I think Nyuon and maybe one or two others have played at that level before.

1 Like

yep well if we have a full complement of players to choose from and no injuries, well he may play at the lower level.
It just seems to me we lack a bit of KP height at VFL level, and if he can take a grab (ive seen highlights video), I would Probably prefer him start at VFL level.
I guess the preseason games will let us know if he cant get near it, he probably starts the season at the lower level. A lot of players can be confidence players, given he hasnt played for a few years, it might be a good idea to build his confidence up at a lower level if needed.

2 Likes

The ruck rover role hasnā€™t existed in years and even if it did heā€™s never going to get a game as a midfielder. The only way he gets into the team is as a key forward or a ruckman, Regardless of what his ideal best position may be.

Playing sub-VFL is unlikely for AFL-listed players. 44 spots in the squad, 44 spots to fill across two teams (plus you might rest one or more if the VFL game is first/at the same time/in a different state). I think we went as low as 3 VFL-listed players in that 44 this year due to our low number of injuries.

4 Likes

So I keep seeing people asking what is happening with Eades. So I have looked everywhere i can and I can see in all the list sites that he has allegedly retired.

From memory we stood him down pending a court case. Once the court case was wrapped up, he ā€œretiredā€ several days later.