The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

If they have a look at Hind I will be happy.

I could see us giving a young DFA a 1 year contract, if they play a position which is a need and have upside. So someone like Trent McKenzie.

There’s probably too many teams who will give him a better chance of a regular senior spot than us though.

Jerrett is not even close to being depth. Just clogging the list for another season.

4 Likes

Trent has sadly joined team Koch this afternoon

Sadly is the wrong word. He’s ordinary.

2 Likes

A bit early, I know but I’ve seen enough of certain players over the years that I dont want to clog the list with any longer. In numerical order:

Baguley
Jerrett
Leuenberger
Myers (yes, I know, good bloke, contracted potential gun etc)
Brown (unlikely but I’d cut the cord)
Long
McNeice
McKernan

Draft is supposed to be strong. Don’t care if we’re picking at pick 100, the above will not add to us going forward. Try some state league players if the U18’s look thin at a point in the draft.

2 Likes

Don’t like seeing Baguely on these lists. He is cooked at 30 but in his prime he was one of the best small defenders in the league. I hope he can honourably retire, not be labeled a list clogger.

1 Like

As much as I like Dea you could potentially add him to that list.

We now have quite a few young med/small defenders on our list that should be played before him.

1 Like

Things haven’t looked great for him at all this season.

Oh he’s done.

I just don’t like him on lists with journeyman that never made it. He got the best out of himself and was pretty decent at his best.

1 Like

I think Long still has a bit to offer, we havent seen enough of him, kids only 22 ffs

1 Like

Agreed. Didn’t get up to 49, that was an oversight.

2 Likes

Unlikely to get rid of that many in one hit. Being a deep draft, I’d imagine we’d take 4 kids at least, so theres 4-5 spots we’ll need to change.

So from your list:

Baguley :white_check_mark:
Jerrett :white_check_mark:
Leuenberger :white_check_mark:
Myers (contracted, plain and simple)
Brown (I get the sense the coaching staff like his versatility)
Long :white_check_mark: (he’s got the rest of the season to prove he should play AFL)
McNeice(they’ve put too much into this guy, with bags gone, they’ll want to keep him)
McKernan (Why would you delist a bloke that is happy to play for a rookie contract one season at a time, they’ll hang on to smack)

That leaves one or two more players to get the chop.

Will Goddard retire at seasons end with Bags, or want another year.
Will they preserver with Dea if they have Brown.
Will we trade out players with some value? Hartley? Langford?

At the moment I can only see the first 3 as likely delisted.

1 Like

Because he’s no good whatsoever? I imagine 90% of players who get delisted would be happy to play for a rookie contract one season at a time.

2 Likes

I like Brown, but this year his main versatility so far has been that he is capable of directly giving up goals AND behinds

2 Likes

Well the issue is that Luey is almost certain not to be on the list. Bellchambers then only has a rookie thats never played a game as a backup ruck.

Our forward tall stocks also look thin. With Hooker in his 30’s and now playing back, we have Joey and Stewart. If one falls over, again we’d be looking at Draper.

McKernan, whilst “no good” as you say, definitely fills a need in terms of a backup ruck/forward. Not a solution, just a backup that comes cheap.

3 Likes

is he really a back up ruck when he gets monstered by anyone considered a proper ruck?

its such a waste of a spot keeping him, we could have been developing some young 20something rucks so we weren’t in a position where mckernan was important to our list build up. no offence to lav 2.0 or draper but they’re coming from a long long long way back. we shouldve had someone whos played the game since being a kid develop as well (not instead).

1 Like

And then next year Bellchambers will probably be looking at retiring, and Draper may not have come on or is in his first year playing seniors, and Hooker will be older and then it’s just Joey and Stewart again, so we keep him for 2019. And then the same again, except Bellchambers is definitely gone and maybe there’s Lavender in the current Draper position, so we keep him for 2020, and next thing you know he’s been on the list longer than Dustin Fletcher.

He’s been on the list as “just in case at least three specific players get injured at the same time” insurance for four years. That’s just crazy to me. A fifth year would be beyond belief.

I think we need to recruit a second-string ruckman unless Draper shows signs of being ready.

4 Likes