The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Unless he gets another 3 year contract extension which, knowing Essendon, is a possibility.

I donā€™t think so didnā€™t re-sign Hocking or Howlett

Got to admit that the Collingwood game REALLY opened my eyes with regards to Bags. He was certainly identified as the week link by the Collingwood coaching panel. Given that bags played all the magoos practice matches tells me our coaching panel agrees. Have to think that Gleesons injury is what is keeping him in the side.

Smack and Jerrett were surprise retentions for me last year. I cant see them lasting another year.

Out:

Jerrett
Laverde
Langford
Myers
Zaharakis
Leuey
Dea
Baggers
Brown

Zaka contracted until 2021, we wonā€™t be trading him either unless he specifically requests it imo.

We have some tough calls to make at years end and some of it will hinge on what jackets can manufacture at the trade table. Thereā€™s been some serviceable players that could be subject to hard decisions being made.

We have players like Baguley, Dea, Brown, Laverde, Long, Green, McNeice, McKernan, Goddard, J Merrett, Leuenberger, Hartley and Mynott off contract at years end plus a few others like Colyer & Myers with a year remaining that probably face similar calls on their futures, whether they have a role in taking us forward as a club.

Of the OOC players I think thereā€™s 3-4 no brainer delistings and another 3-4 where cases could be made on a one year deal. The intrigue will focus on Laverde IMO. Itā€™s sounding like negotiations are a little stagnant there, perhaps the saints are coming at him again? If the club sees a future for him, they need to determine in what role. I keep hearing we want him to become a big bodied mid, if thatā€™s the case and we get another mid or two via trade, where does that leave Colyer & Myers? Do we contemplate moving them on for some more picks?

I think this upcoming trade period shapes as most intriguing. Thatā€™s a big list of OOC players for the back end of August which tells you thereā€™s probably a lot of moving parts in the background.

8 Likes

I think for the sake of preserving his reputation, Goddard should retire rather than come back for another year where he will be slower and making more errors.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s the AFL rule on how many players have to be turned over from the lists?

Min turnover??

3 I think.

1 Like

Goddard
Merrett
Hartley
Green
Luey

1 Like

We have sorely missed the competitiveness offered by Smack over the past month. I firmly believe that we would have beaten Whorthorn with him in the side and it would also have provided a difference last night too.
No way he goes at the end of the season. Good insurance for JD and Bellchambers.

7 Likes

Iā€™d write exactly the same response that I wrote three months ago when I first made that comment, but I assume youā€™ve seen it by now. He was better than I expected in the intervening period, and I expect weā€™ll give him another year, but I my opinion is basically the same.

Glad and sorry, glad to know you sorry ifā€™s over, Goddard, Dea, bags, green, Long, Merrett, looney,

Delist/Retire J. Merret, Goddard, Leunberger, Green, Hartley, Long

Iā€™d trade out Colyer, Zaharakis and Laverde.

Harsh I know but we havenā€™t won a premiership in 18 yrs.

1 Like

pbomber and black_kavanagh would be definites I would say.
SpicedRum another one.
After that I would have to think a bit harder about it.

edit: JayNagle

18 Likes

I decided nino provides value

3 Likes

Will always be finding himself,mostly in his jocks.

I think weā€™ll draft three and fingers crossed, another 2 (gaff/sheil) in.

Leaving 5 to be cleared.

Luey is an obvious retirement
Jerrettā€™s time is clearly up.

Dea, I think we should trade him to allow development in Ridley/Redman/Francis. He wonā€™t be in our next premiership challenge, great clubman, but surplus to requirements.

Green. I like him, but if he canā€™t get a game in this forwardline, you have to question his commitment.

Bags, touch and go with Bags. Ask me 6 months ago and its clear he was ready for retirement. But his revival as a forward seriously asks the question if he has another year. I would probably lean no. Whilst he may be able to play another year and do well, I think i would prefer to see begley have that spot.

I think we need to keep young talent like Laverde. People are so quick to write players off but i fear heā€™s one that may bite us in the backside.

I would also like to give BJ another year. Play him off the bench, heā€™ll be a on ground coach for us. Otherwise heā€™ll go and do it at the scum and weā€™ll fricken drop that game again next season.

2 Likes

Delist Goddard, Luenberger, Jerret, Long and maybe Green (depending on Colyer staying or not)

Willing to Trade Laverde Colyer Stewart Hartley (otherwise keep for depth) if it meant landing Gaff or Shiels I could be talked into Francis

And a final in 14 years! So yeah, agreed. Drastic and harsh action probably needed.

If we land 2 mids from this trade period, youā€™d think weā€™d have to lose someone from our existing midfield anyway (Zaka)