The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Benny, please

With the changes to the rookie list i think a complete turnover of it should be used and we comb through country and state leagues for the best role players we can find.

1 Like

We say that every year. I donā€™t think we are finding the next premiership midfield from the VFL

I think the idea is draft a bunch of guys we can give 1 year contracts to. Then go again next year.

Iā€™m saying get rid of smack, long anyone else on the rookie list that isnā€™t draper and get role players, if they can marginally improve us, on top of some proper midfield recruits its a better end result than what weā€™ve currently go.

And this a bit.

Trust but weā€™ll just turn that kid into a pea heart anyway. Canā€™t really win either way

There is a lot of the top TAC cup side using kids from their 16ā€™s teams in their selected side at this late stage of the year. Thatā€™s usually a good indicator that the quality of this draft age group is pretty thin across the board.

Long & Smack are rookies, are you saying you would permanently elevate both? Jerrett couldnā€™t hold a spot in our 2016 side. Surely even the longest shot state league player is a better option than Jerrett who Worsfold clearly doesnā€™t rate.

I genuinely havenā€™t seen a vfl game that screams long making it at afl level.

1 Like

ITwo of those guys are quick and can kick the ball ok, one has a good pair of hands.

I know itā€™s only a 20% chance at best they put it together in a year. I do.

We have Jobe, Kelly, Stants, Eades gone already. Iā€™d say hocking as well, and probably bird because he is to close to 30.

That will be 6 picks

Thatā€™s enough

Next year we arnt delisting anyone we picked up this year.

Iā€™d like for us to be taking a more 2-3 year approach to list management given how the two drafts after this one are shaping up. The good core of our list is still quite young. So the kids we bring in over the next three years will be the 20-23 class of when guys like Daniher, Zerret, Parish, McGrath will be in their prime. In which case Iā€™d want that crop to come from the best talent available over the next 3 years, not going all in on one and delisting 7 of 10 picks taken this year in 3 years time.

3 Likes

I get what youā€™re saying but again I think there has to be better options than Long & Jerrett. Give the best midfielder under 27 in the SANFL & WAFL a 1 year contract. FFS Barlow came from nowhere so its more likley to bare fruit than doing the same poor list management weā€™ve done for 20 years. Smack is possibly different in that we only have 2 rucks on the list but you canā€™t simply elevate a guy in his position & gift a spot because we have again planned poorly. Also Eades is another rookie so your list changes is back to 5. If the draft is really shallow then look to see whats delisted elsewhere. Speaking of that, do we keep Dea for another year?

1 Like

COLYER. MYERS. HARTLEY.

Yeh disco would swap them for some spudā€¦

Agree, Morgan too.

There is no point sacking half the side, keep anybody with a chance of turning it around and then let them go next year when the draft pool is better.

I think we will still cut pretty deep though.

Dea for sure, he is good depth. Would have been handy today I reckon, he slots straight into Kellyā€™s spot next year for mine.

Rookie list changes next year by the way, and Iā€™m down with what you say about state league guys

6 picks, 3 in the nab (yep itā€™s that shit) and 3 from the state leagues.

1 Like

We seem to be recycling 25 to 30% of our list every year these past few years, and itā€™s not really working.

This may be because we are not drafting the right sorts of players (far to many utility 190cm types) but given the years of instability the club has had post Sheedy I really donā€™t think the solution is more turn over. Even the worst players on the list of people under 25 yo we could delist have some qualities we actually need. Guys like Morgan and Long even though they look miles off best 22 in theory are fine to keep list spots warm with the bonus they might improve/get their bodies right.

3 Likes

Even tho weā€™ve recycled its been theā€™depthā€™ thats been cut not many from our established players that have underwhelmed for years.

Donā€™t disagree with you Ben but Iā€™d reckon Jackson Merrett definitely in the firing line. Didnā€™t get many games last year even when the list was decimated & IMO didnā€™t even look like it this year. Is off contract (I think Bird has one year to go?).

Happily swap bird for Jerret in that. I think unfortunately for Jack he got injured at the wrong time. He would have got a shot mid to late this year to prove his worth had he not broken his leg @theDJR said he was ahead of quite a few for a senior call up before he went down.

He had a 30 touch game against freo when they werenā€™t ā– ā– ā– ā–  in 2015, he is not terrible. But yeah, I would not lose sleep if they delisted him either.

2 Likes