The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Even if we only had Essendon VFL to pick replacements from, I’d still delist Morgan, Merret and Long. Considering there are about 50 state league teams at the standard of Essendon’s VFL team, and plenty of good players coming out of NEAFL and other lesser leagues, surely we can back our recruiters in to find better prospects.

5 Likes

Nah. Next year in a strong draft and with better selections is the time to cut deep. To think otherwise is crazy.

3 Likes

Here is my theory on why we might keep Jerrett, Long and Morgan over Hocking, Bird and Howlett

It is pretty self evident when you compare them in the same sentence.

One group is younger and faster the other is older and slower.

But more importantly, keeping these players will enable us to better replicate our speed based AFL game plan in the VFL, and also have more depth to replace these faster players when there are injuries.

Last year it was obvious that our VFL side was a lot slower than our AFL side. In 2018 we will have a lot more balance between the 2 sides.

14 Likes

I’d say Hocking, Bird and Howlett would all be on more $$$ than the other 3 listed. Not worth spending any extra cash on VFL players.

Not just that, we didn’t have a lot of pace depth. Part of the reason Colyer played so many games in ordinary form. Hoping Colyer can be back to his best 2018 though.

4 Likes

The enigma that is Smack survives another year!

12 Likes

Hope so.

Actually McKernan staying is a surprise. We already have ruck types on the list and he will stunt their development in the VFL.

Nope. He will likely just play permanent VFL kpf.

And if needed due to losing both Belly/Leuey play ruck for us in seniors

3 Likes

Here’s a crazy theory: the skill of kicking the football might be important to playing the game of football.

3 Likes

So i see were having another year of McNernan jokes

What’s the go with Eades? Was released well after final list lodgement last year but isn’t being mentioned as an out by the club, but surely he is.

Including Eades we have seven outs (Jobe, Stants, Kelly, Buddha, Bird, Howlett, Eades).

We have Smith, Stringer and Saad in. Lavender as Cat B doesn’t affect main list.

That means we have four spots left and picks 48, 67, 85 and 103.

I think McNiece will get elevated to senior list which will cost a pick, but with a thin draft Morgan and J Merrett might just be lucky.

probably dont want to draw attention to it.

Eades was on the rookie list, not the senior list.

1 Like

Don’t see why they would elevate McNeice after his first year on the rookie list. He only played two senior games and had a serious injury that kept him out for the second half of the year.

I think from next year you are not required to elevate rookies to play them so it makes sense to leave him on the rookie list.

2 Likes

And he is on a rookie B list as well so even more reason to leave as is.

2 Likes

Yep.

He hasn’t proven himself yet. Bags won’t give up his role without a fight so McNiece has some work to do.

Especially considering he has so much time to go before he really feels comfortable with the foreign game of AFL

7 Likes

Nah. He will stifle the development of Draper and Lavender. Hard for them to get ruck or kf minutes when they are sharing the load with McKernan and Leunberger. Five ruck types on the list is unbalanced, especially when JD can help in the ruck.

I think McKernan is really ky forward backup. We don’t have any other key froward back up, hence the one year extension. That he can play ruck as well is a bonus.

1 Like