The Essendon Draft

Top 10 picks haven’t been as good as they should have been either

Just wanna know whether we can trade our first round pick next year??

Why do you say that?

A lot has been written about the end of sheeds and post Sheedy era. But if the following guys had have lived up to their potential, it would have been so different.

Winders
Gumby
Lovett
Rama
Rioli
Laycock
Cupido

We had some talent, but injuries and application issues crueled us.

The Big Lazy! I don’t think many would disagree that he had talent (well I wouldn’t), but even without injuries I think you could make a case that he didn’t have the mental discipline to apply himself and actually cash in on his talent. Not saying that is a certainty either, but unlike say Gumbleton who was ultra professional and clearly had talent and would almost certainly have made it without injuries, Laycock is a far less certain proposition.

1 Like

While you can make an argument that we haven’t found as much ‘top-end elite’ talent with our top ten picks, there aren’t too many - if any - total busts.

Laycock maybe, and Gumby I suppose (although that was all injury), but there are no Richard Tambling / Oakley-Nicholls / Dowler / Thorpe / Morton / Moore / Butcher / Mcartin type of misses.

Some clubs have totally busted on multiple top ten picks, most of ours have been players, even if just plodding role players.

I mean, Bradley still played 117 games of AFL football.

1 Like

Gumbleton
Myers
Bradley
Melksham
Laycock.

5 out of 11(?) been failures. Even Ryder only gave us a year or two of great football before ■■■■■■■ us over

It does make the Shiel deal look more than reasonable.

1 Like

For comparison let’s do this for hawks and Blues
From 2000

1 Luke Hodge
2 Jarryd Roughead
3 Xavier Ellis
5 Lance Franklin
6 Beau Dowler, Mitch Thorp
7 Jordan Lewis
8 Luke Brennan
10 Luke McPharlin

Worth remembering Hawks got 2 first rd priority picks. Last top 10 pick was 2006.
As others are used in trades, ie Mitchell for pick 10.

Rioli was pick 12

Blues
1 Jacob Weitering, Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy
2 Andrew Walker
3 Paddy Dow
4 Josh Kennedy, Luke Livingston
6 Sam Petrevski-Seton, Chris Yarran
9 Jordan Russell
10 Lochie O Brien, Harry McKay

Cripps and Charlie Curnow just outside top ten, along with some :potato:

Afl rule change huge 2005 to 2006
Went from getting 2 top 10s to 1 &17
Murphy, Kennedy compared to Gibbs and Hampson

2004 & 2005 drafts allowed pies to get Thomas and Pendlebury, blues murphy and Kennedy and hawks buddy and Roughead. Tigers got Deledio and Tambling

1 Like

That just means he’s a family man, sorry I meant c@nt.

Laycock anf Gumby the only real misses there and you have to forgive injury, plenty of careers ending before they really began. The others may not have been what we wanted but hardly misses.

2 Likes

Injuries, yes, but Cupido, Lovett, Murphy, Zantuck had already been through the ringer at other - generally better resourced clubs - who knew these guys were trouble. Add Reimers, Hislop, Nash and Laycock as idiots we drafted all by ourselves.

Sheedy thought he could handle, or change, these guys. Or we just weren’t able to do the groundwork, with Disco only in recruiting part time. Or Sheedy wouldn’t listen to Disco.

1 Like

Have a look at Bradley’s draft and tell me he was a failure. Fergus Watts? Trotter? Kane Tenace?

The only other half-decent tall after KB is Chaplin (who was better than KB, but not anything to get worked up about IMO). After that it’s 24yo Sam Fisher, taken way down the order, and Michael johnson in thr PSD, neither of whom would’ve been in consideration with pick 6.
Easily the best pick of the draft was us, with B Stanton at 13.

This whole idea of comparison across years is stupid - you can only draft who’s actually there.

5 Likes

I heard once back in the day that suggest Laycock’s “professionalism” was known about by other clubs, and presumably ours (or at least we should have).

I reckon there’s plenty of good reasons Disco errs on the side of choirboys for early picks now.

Missing…

Draft
49 Jordan Houlahan
66 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
76 Matt Guelfi

Rookie
11 Trent Mynott

Bit of all three, - but Sheedy had a long history of taking “problem” players - people (& Sheedy) tend to remember the early successes, not the duds.
For every Barnes there was a Carman, for every Duckworth a Cunningham.
As for Laycock it was widely reported in the media at the time that after a stunning under age year, the wheels had fallen off in his draft year.

But sometimes punts have to be taken - how many people remember the questions thrown up about drafting Jack Darling after the schoolgirls & tents brouhaha?

1 Like

I was only young, but I thought Carman was pretty good for us until…

1 Like

Wow, just looled him up. 20 weeks for a “Head butt” and swinging arm to a boundary ump.

You can take the boy out of Collingwood…

Lol. Yes. Until…

Did the Club really ask the Queen to give him a Royal Pardon? If so, another reason to become a republic.

Point being that Sheedy didn’t quite manage to temper his issues. ( understatement)
To be fair I remember the umpires were worse than usual that day, and Fabulous Phil was getting worked up before the incident- the interchange bench would have been a handy thing at times.

1 Like