The Fast Train Thread

What sort of train will it be? The magliv train line being built in the US is costed at $100mil per KM. Elron Musks behind one they are building in Sweden that is costed at $30mil per KM and they think that's a little on the low side.

I’ve heard maglev mentioned. Up to 500km/hr

That much for a ‘loser cruiser’?

Srsly

What sort of train will it be? The magliv train line being built in the US is costed at $100mil per KM. Elron Musks behind one they are building in Sweden that is costed at $30mil per KM and they think that's a little on the low side.

I’ve heard maglev mentioned. Up to 500km/hr

Yep and that’s what I would think they would need to hit to meet the times they are sprooking

So they want to basically make some current towns redundant so they can build new ones just up the road that they then make money from so the can build and own a train line. Fark off karmichaels.

I’m interested to see if a business model that was last successful in the 1800s can get up.

Also interested to see how these towns/cities are going to go as 100% service-based economies.

So they want to basically make some current towns redundant so they can build new ones just up the road that they then make money from so the can build and own a train line. Fark off karmichaels.

Im just assuming someones done a geo survey, discovered a csg reserve along the route and this is their way of getting the rights.

Just build two cannons for $100bn each

They shouldn’t cost that much.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d83f12217d570262622f66ab6da890cd?width=1024

As long as it can reach 88mph…

Don't they usually dig up this old chestnut before the election?

Yep

Just build two cannons for $100bn each

They shouldn’t cost that much.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d83f12217d570262622f66ab6da890cd?width=1024

Then I just saved us money. Increased ROI.

You’re welcome.

Don't they usually dig up this old chestnut before the election?

thats the beauty of this one, its after the election.

8 new Canberra’s That’s something to look forward to.

I won't make money. If the Japanese Shinkansen can't, the Acela can't, the channel tunnel can't so this won't either.

I wish it would but it won’t. I’d like them to build it though.

Is this true? Tickets are so expensive and it’s so heavily used (companies pay for their employees transportation expenses) I’ve never heard anything about it being unprofitable.

It is true. It’s because the companies who run the line didn’t have to put out the capital to build the lines. Once you include capital costs they were never going to pay it off. There are also a lot of company subsidies and government loans helping. If you took these all away then none would be profitable. It pretty much doesn’t matter which people train line you pick from around the world. I say all this as a train enthusiast!

The tickets aren’t that expensive given the speed and comfort.

Saw Steve Bracks on the news spruiking it.

Unlike the desal plant, if this bombs, (which is highly likely due to his involvement) at least it shouldn’t affect just victorians.

I won't make money. If the Japanese Shinkansen can't, the Acela can't, the channel tunnel can't so this won't either.

Is this true? Tickets are so expensive and it’s so heavily used (companies pay for their employees transportation expenses) I’ve never heard anything about it being unprofitable.

It is true. It’s because the companies who run the line didn’t have to put out the capital to build the lines. Once you include capital costs they were never going to pay it off. There are also a lot of company subsidies and government loans helping. If you took these all away then none would be profitable. It pretty much doesn’t matter which people train line you pick from around the world. I say all this as a train enthusiast!

Thanks for the info. It is pricey compared to domestic flights though. I generally fly between Osaka and Tokyo to save money, The equivalent of about $150-200 compared to $300 (in AUD), similar time frame, but also I live much closer to the airport than the Shinkansen station.

Thanks for the info. It is pricey compared to domestic flights though. I generally fly between Osaka and Tokyo to save money, The equivalent of about $150-200 compared to $300 (in AUD), similar time frame, but also I live much closer to the airport than the Shinkansen station.

It is easy when you are closer to an airport! :slight_smile: Do you live in Japan?

It is easy when you are closer to an airport! :slight_smile: Do you live in Japan?

Yeah, in the south part of Osaka. The country is a train enthusiast’s paradise I’d imagine. Not really my thing though!

But it’s a good example of how bullet trains are difficult to build right into the centres of major cities. The lines require infrastructure that needs to be raised and well protected from buildings and streets. Both Osaka and Tokyo Shinkansen stations require a transfer to then get downtown.

Shin-Osaka does require a train swap to get downtown. Tokyo station not downtown? Well I suppose with Tokyo it’s hard to pin point what down town is!

Any truth to the rumour that I’m just now starting, that Princess Park is being compulsory bought up, so as to be used as a wash station for the cattle trucks and thereby up the values of the surrounding properties?