The Fast Train Thread

I won't make money. If the Japanese Shinkansen can't, the Acela can't, the channel tunnel can't so this won't either.

I wish it would but it won’t. I’d like them to build it though.

Is this true? Tickets are so expensive and it’s so heavily used (companies pay for their employees transportation expenses) I’ve never heard anything about it being unprofitable.

It is true. It’s because the companies who run the line didn’t have to put out the capital to build the lines. Once you include capital costs they were never going to pay it off. There are also a lot of company subsidies and government loans helping. If you took these all away then none would be profitable. It pretty much doesn’t matter which people train line you pick from around the world. I say all this as a train enthusiast!

The tickets aren’t that expensive given the speed and comfort.

Thanks for the info. It is pricey compared to domestic flights though. I generally fly between Osaka and Tokyo to save money, The equivalent of about $150-200 compared to $300 (in AUD), similar time frame, but also I live much closer to the airport than the Shinkansen station.

It is easy when you are closer to an airport! :slight_smile: Do you live in Japan?

Yeah, in the south part of Osaka. The country is a train enthusiast’s paradise I’d imagine. Not really my thing though!

But it’s a good example of how bullet trains are difficult to build right into the centres of major cities. The lines require infrastructure that needs to be raised and well protected from buildings and streets. Both Osaka and Tokyo Shinkansen stations require a transfer to then get downtown.

Same with Shanghai’s maglev train (currently the only one in the world).

China also has nearly 20,000 km of fast train lines. And they work great!

Same with Shanghai’s maglev train (currently the only one in the world).

Ummm, Japan has a short line which is commercial (and over 10 years in operation) and also South Korea do as well (opened this year).

Thanks for update. Shanghai’s was the only one when I went on it the first few times. Wasn’t aware that others had opened yet. Does the Japanese one get faster than 400km/h?

The one they are building between Tokyo and Osaka will. 600km test the other day with seven coaches.

The thing with these estimates, is they never work out to be anything like the original figure. Times it by a factor of 3 or 4 and you might get close to what it actually costs. A very fast train was proposed to run through Gippsland to Sydney about 25 years ago, IIRC it was put up by Peter Abeles. It never went anywhere, pun intended.

If it’s going to stop in at least 8 towns, how long does it stop in each one to keep the time to 3 hours?

Leaves about 2 hours 20 for the 900km.

The one they are building between Tokyo and Osaka will. 600km test the other day with seven coaches.
Now I'm picturing the Scott twins, Clarkson, Roosy, Buckley, Lyon and Hinkley on a train screaming in fear as it hurtles out of control at 600km.

It derails and goes off a cliff. I’m sure they’re fine.

If it's going to stop in at least 8 towns, how long does it stop in each one to keep the time to 3 hours?

More to the point, the damn thing will take about 3 kilometres to come to a complete stop, all of that deceleration will slow it down more than actual stationary time at the various stations.

If it's going to stop in at least 8 towns, how long does it stop in each one to keep the time to 3 hours?

More to the point, the damn thing will take about 3 kilometres to come to a complete stop, all of that deceleration will slow it down more than actual stationary time at the various stations.

They would need to have super express/higher-priced/non-stop services running as well, to actually make it worth Melb-Syd travellers’ while. Those getting on or off in the towns have to ride a local stop, slower service. At least that’s how it works in Japan.

And that’s what is said by the consortium in the article at the start of this thread.

I thought they would slow down just a bit, and a train from each town would merge in behind, speed up & hook on.

They could use an engine pushing from behind, or rockets.

Imagine if you get on the limited express by mistake and missed your meeting.

“Well boss, the thing is… I’m in Sydney.”

Ive been in the rail industry for 34 years and how many times this has been proposed as well the inland freight line Melbourne to Brisbane…Parkes the new international airport to the world was how it was being spruiked…WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

I thought they would slow down just a bit, and a train from each town would merge in behind, speed up & hook on.

They could use an engine pushing from behind, or rockets.

Depending on the frequency of trains, they could elect to have 2 stops each, for eg.

Yeah, I see where you’re coming from … & if they are below 20 Hz we wouldn’t even hear them, so no noise pollution either.

Ive been in the rail industry for 34 years and how many times this has been proposed as well the inland freight line Melbourne to Brisbane.....Parkes the new international airport to the world was how it was being spruiked...WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

Working as a… (I’m a train nut)…

Ive been in the rail industry for 34 years and how many times this has been proposed as well the inland freight line Melbourne to Brisbane.....Parkes the new international airport to the world was how it was being spruiked...WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

Steam power forever!

Steam power forever!

I’m planning a trip just to America to see this once it’s finished restoration.

Fun facts.

The driver (i.e. the big turning wheels) are the size of Tippa (1.71m)! There are two sets of eight.
Total length including tender is 40.47m or just under 2 of the standard passenger carriages you see in Melbourne or two of the trains used by BHP in WA or 4 puffing billys!

Fkn hell!! That’s huge. Biggest steam train ever??

Pretty much. There are a few one offs but this was the largest commercial (although they only built 25).