The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

If that’s what you think.

Great news. We all know men can’t umpire properly.

6 Likes

Sam woods - because if the ball slews off or players miss it, and it bounces out of bounds, the opposition gets a free… with the chippy kick, it’s not a free.

Sincerity is hard to do on Blitz, but let me make an effort.

You are of course correct… I’d never thought of that… and as such I really really appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

1 Like

With the free kick table, the thing that irks me mostly, and I have no way of quantifying this, is the position where free kicks are paid. It seems that invariably the free kicks that we concede are in our backline, whereas when we get them, they are often in spots that are not as dangerous.

Now I know that the free kicks tallies will never be even, and I’m not one to bash umpires … actually that’s a lie, I abuse the ■■■■ out of them most weeks, but when I look rationally at umpiring, it appears that the free kicks we give away often have maximum damage on the scoreboard.

I’d love to know where we sit on the goals conceded to free kicks table!

2 Likes

Jonovdp. With the toe just on the line, reminds me of the Ian Chappell argument about fast bowlers being expected to hit the bowling crease to the mm. But Chappell never mentioned that of course they could bowl from six inches or a foot, or more back. Just like these kickers can kick from a m inside the square. Chappell used to say surely they could allow the bowlers an inch. I used to think ok, lets draw a line at THAT spot rather than on the usual spot, and make them hit that line. We’d have the exact same situation as before, except a pitch that’s 21 yards, 2 ft 11, instead of 22 yards!

Just don’t go over.

On this marginal stuff, one thing that bothers me is that umpires seem to decide a dribbled tiny kick (that would be enough to score a goal) doesn’t count as a real kick if a player is being tackled - what the? And it’s an actual rule that if you are tackled, a drop kick is ‘incorrect disposal’ - why??? Raz’s drop kick goal from earlier in the year would have been a free against if an opponent had a finger on him, technically! I hate that.

Can I use this thread to vent about the blatant pushing in the back of our forwards that was missed at least 4 times vs Geelong

Joe also get’s blocked metres off the ball, put down even at one stage

If we could ever get the LLoyd era rub of the umps again Joe Dan will kick 8.23

4 Likes

Yes,… yes you can.

You may also vent about the really blatant shepherd in the last quarter that got them the mark at the top of the goal square. It was soooooo obvious to everyone but the chump.

3 Likes

In the last two weeks it’d be pretty high.

I did laugh or didn’t you get the LOL !!

Not Essendon related, but Steve Johnsons winner vs Collingwood followed two GWS players pushing their opponents right in the back, right in front of the umpire, who looked to be ball watching.

But it meant Collingwood lost, so I’m good with it.

Daniher does seem to get pushed a lot - I wonder if he’s got a reputation with umpires. Either way, Woosha should do one of those press conferences where he does the “We’ll be putting a call into the umpires board during the week” a la Scott, Eade etc.

2 Likes

How is the ■■■■ still umpiring

Eleni Glouftsis ?

Zaharakis’ll have a field day. BOG.

You speak of umpire’s bias? O.k. can bias lead to and create favour?

If your bias allows you to change, alter and make decisions you would not otherwise make for every person - what do you call that then? If it changes, filters the way an action is observed and diverts your process of decision making from fairness to favour because favour excuses behaviour and makes it acceptable. Neutrality requires detachment.

Bias can create unconscious, conscious, incompetence.

1 Like

Young lady umpire did well although she looks to have inadvertently killed the centre bounce.

On a related note, did D Myers shove a West Coast player into her sending her a over t?

If a bloke bounced it like that the blokey bloke commentary bloke team would’ve made blokey jokes about it all game

3 Likes

True.

Made several soft calls but was no worse than the other 2 peanuts. One of the blokes also had several bounces recalled. Looked to be a problem with the surface as all 3 struggled to bounce it higher than 1m

2 Likes

We got a good run today.
I was shocked when we got two free kicks and a goal from it in the first minute.
We even got a ‘ran too far’ call which rarely happens.

2 Likes