The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

I was gonna say a Port game at Etihad that Nicholls did; this was most likely it.

I’ll never forget the sheer disbelief of the crowd as bizarre decision after bizarre decision came down against Essendon. It was surreal. I thought someone at half time was going to jump the fence and go ballistic on the bloke. It seemed clear to me that the more agitated the spectators got, the worse the calls got.

A couple of the bigger dudes in the grog squad were psychotic.

2 Likes

One game at Etihad {colonial then} against Doggies 7 goals to them from free kicks
I’m still silently seethng

1 Like

Was at the GWS game and lost it multiple times in the umps…struggled to talk for a few days and left Etihad seething.

That Bulldog one was the Fletch “demonstrative” game

That game was unbelievable. Never seen a Bombers crowd so incensed - literally everyone foaming at the mouth.

1 Like

Is this professional conduct? Do all first time umpires get hugs?

2 Likes

WSPHU

1 Like

Can’t believe all the noise about ‘jumper’ and ‘gut’ punches. How much more ■■■■■■■ sanitised do we really want this game to get?

IMO - if you really want to crack down on on-field biffo like that, send players off for a period of time. If anything the jumper punches look embarrassing.

1 Like

Yeah that was pretty bad.

No way

It got to the stage in that Port game that the whole crowd booed whenever Nicholls had the ball in hand to bounce it. Never seen anything like it in over 60 years of footy following.
By the way Nicholls was the umpire in Tassie when he didn’t hear the siren and allowed the game to continue. Very poor umpire with strong friends at the AFL and we know where that gets you.

3 Likes

Think that is her boyfriend.
She is dating one of the boundary umpires

Can’t believe how hot the AFL is on deliberate OOB yet players are given an absolute eternity to dispose of the footy when tackled.

They’ve got it completely backwards.

EDIT: Sam Mitchell would have been pinged about 5-6 times for HTB if they were more strict with it.

3 Likes

Crameri feels left out.

1 Like

I hope they don’t take away the centre bounce. The unpredictable nature of our game which I think is unique and fantastic continues to be removed…

Soon we’ll be playing with a round ball because, you know it’s so hard to tell whether a player has really tried to keep the ball in play with those wicked bounces… We need to eliminate all uncertainty, yeah?

5 Likes

I want to see other sports make their umpires perform arbitrary skills. I want to see soccer refs on stilts, basketball refs perform cartwheels.
I don’t care how good they are at making decisions, if they can’t perform their trick then just how good an umpire are they really?

2 Likes

I go the other way and look at some of the umpires who get a gig because they bounce well, eg Nicholls. If you’re rubbish at decision making and positioning, then you’re a rubbish umpire, eg Nicholls and Pannell. If you bounce the ball badly, then you’re just bad at bouncing the ball.

1 Like

No one likes a bounce that favours one side or the other. Throwing it up fixes that.

2 Likes

If you want an end to the bounce it’s likely you’ll be happy.

Most recent AFL survey was all about the ball not being bounced on the weekend when it ■■■■■■ down.

They were quite specific if you noticed that there was almost no bounces that weekend, did you care, is it important etc.

As someone pointed out ^^^ if we could get the best decision makers make or female, then I think we would forgo the bounce, for the sake of increasing the talent pool.

1 Like

Later, after the dees kicked a goal to get back within 2 kicks the maggot bounced it straight to Goldstein, should have been recalled without a doubt, play on, norf clear and snuff out any chance the dees had