The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

THis is why we as a club need to start being far far more verbally abusive of the umpires. They almost can’t get worse so why not call them out as the cheats they are. When that happened our players should have been up in the umpires face screaming “its holding the ball, he ducked, thats prior opportunity, learn the rules you corrupt numpties”. Seriously we keep bending over & accepting this treatment why wouldn’t they continue to abuse us?

Ha ha, sure mate, … “50 metres” … “Ok 100 Met,… 150 metres”

Yep umpire abuse is a real winners idea …

6 Likes

I don’t even know what demostrative means

2 Likes

They got a goal anyway, what difference would 50,100,150 have made - none. Again, until this club makes a stand against this treatment it will continue. If Umpires can’t handle their incompetence being pointed out then its even more reason why it needs to be done.

Bringing the game into disrepute. Attempts at public ridicule. Fines. Getting kicked out of finals. How far do you want to take this?

No telling where stupid ends really is there?

This stance is beyond ridicule.

1 Like

So you and the apologist think that pointing out to the umpires that they were wrong will lead to getting kicked out of the finals? Seriously you make that quantum leap with nothing at all to support it. Rolling over & copping it did get us kicked out of the finals.

1 Like

I think based on previous problems the AFL will keep escalating the issue the more we dig our heels in. What the heck do you think they’re going to do or are even obliged to do in their untouchable position? “Oh yeah, sorry guys. You’re right. We’ll start doing it properly now.” The umpires and the AFL have a track record of conceding absolutely zero blame for anything and you think that’s going to change by getting in their faces and foaming at the mouth? The hysterical reaction to that would be something to behold.

Again history has actually shown that the more we roll over & cop it the worse the situation gets. Now of course some of my suggestion is tongue in cheek, actually abusing the umpires & or swearing etc will only see them shut off BUT what we have seen is a beaten dog acceptance of blatant poor at best, corrupt at worst umpiring that is doing more to prevent us from playing finals than anything you’ve imagined. At a minimum we should have been bringing some of these issues to the front. Maybe just maybe a conversation picked up on the mic of players saying to the umps “if he ducked thats prior - why isn’t it our free?” would get the commentators talking about it & maybe that brings just a little bit of pressure back on the AFL to see there is a problem. Do you have another solution, do you not think its an issue or do you actually believe doing nothing will lead to change?

2 Likes

I thought the green non holding the ball, which lead to a stoppage goal which was the sealer, was an utter disgrace.

The Shaw non holding the ball was a star player call. McKenna would absolutely have got pinged for that. A straw man argument I know but I see lessor lights get that sort of treatment every week on the “no prior” interpretation. Remember it happening to kommer three times in the dees game last year. His mistake in that game was fighting the tackle rather than just throwing it immediately.

5 Likes

Remember when Hird got on the front foot and called out bad umpiring? The commentators aren’t going to say any more about it than what they did at the time which was surprisingly favorable to us despite it being those three goons at the time. Heck, even The Age mentioned “dubious umpiring”. Do you know what they’d be talking about if we complained about it? They’d be talking about us, not the umpires. I don’t have a solution, no. I don’t think there is one.

1 Like

There isn’t one,… they are AFL minions, they can control games and alter results at will, and are untouchable, … possibly because they actually do help orchestrate the AFL’s preferred season?

May as well yell at clouds.

We should be taking them all out to dinner or bowling like Whorethorn did. The one thing you absolutely don’t want to do, is abuse them and have them belt you more as payback, that would just be beyond dumb.

5 Likes

That’s pretty much how I see it. Not sure about this game but I do think a lot of it is confusion around rule interpretation and subconscious bias and home crowd advantage. Some of the stuff that happened this time you really have to try hard to put it down to coincidence. Add that to the “history making” top of the ladder result and GWS being the AFL’s special little guy (not the other one in Queensland who misbehaved and who they don’t talk about anymore).

I’m not quite as tinfoil hat as that… I don’t believe they’re deliberately corrupt. They are incompetent bozo’s dealing with incomprehensibly stupid and complex playing conditions that are forever changing. All whilst being equally or more focused on their fitness and/or ability to bounce the ball. All are subject to their own innate subconscious bias and in reality it’s only human to do so.

2 Likes

It also doesn’t help that the umpiring department are happy to fast track substandard umpires for the sake of a good PR story.

1 Like

There’s nothing to gain from complaining to the umpires on the ground. Nothing at all. All that will happen is to put them further offside.

I would, however, like to see Worsfold say this or similar in a press conference:

“Yeah, we were a little confused at some of the decisions that went against us. We’ll be putting in a call to the umpires association during the week to seek some clarification.”

And then actually make the call.

7 Likes

I’d like to see all those corrupt decisions up on our website advising the members they have been submitted to the Umpires coach Hayden Kennedy for clarification of the reasoning behind the decision. When Kennedy gets back to us with his b/s, up it goes on the website so we can all see the level of corruption you need to make it as an umpire officiating an Essendon game.

2 Likes

yeah & said he bounced it like a girl !! …so would that be wrong??

that actually doesn’t work …remember McClaren & the comment Hird made about his terrible treatment of us? Hird said we had complained after every match all year but it made no difference …supporters were stopped from filming games from the sidelines or different to tv camera angles because some of our supporters actually had vision of every wrong decision or non decision he made during our games …& still the AFL did nothing!! Hird only mentioned it because the crowds were getting really angry or at least they were where I was sitting some were even stupidly yelling out death threats to him …so AFL name & shame supporters & players who do the wrong thing but allow umpires to get away with no comments allowed to be made about them …great way to foster corruption in sport guys !!

4 Likes

On the flipside, brad scott whinges about the umps all the time and even insinuated bias causing massive fines to him and his club and here we are less than a year later and only the umps favourites (doggies) have a better free kick differential

So maybe making some noise does work? It can’t be because Scott is a top bloke because we all know he’s an a grade ■■■■

4 Likes