The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

Hey basically made this account to make this post, anyway.

I highly doubt umpires are instructed by the AFL. However, in my opinion they are inherently effected by the media and the Agendum pushed by the AFL. According to the media we are supposed to be a bad team, and to illustrate the umpires would give the other team on average the benefit of the doubt.

The umpires spent a week reading about how the Bulldogs could have a fairy tale story in the papers. Then without even knowing it themselves they give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have now thought for a while that the AFL is closer to WWE than the average punter might think.

3 Likes

I refuse to believe that there is an umpiring conspiracy against us…

BUT…

In last year’s game against Brisbane at Etihad, before the game an announcement was made that despite not being named amongst the three match day umpires or first emergency, umpire Foot would be umpiring that day.

He proceeded to come in and destroy any chance we had, including overruling the other umpires on several occasions to our disadvantage.

Tell me that’s normal.

Whenever I see Foot, Pannell or Nicholls listed, I know we are in for a bad day.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to see Nicholls at a pub

He is by far the worst umpire in the history of anything that needs to be umpires. Margetts a close second

I absolutely lost my ■■■■ at a few of Nicholls non decisions yesterday

4 Likes

Lol Were you sitting near me?

3 Likes

For me it’s not entirely the umpires fault. The AFL ■■■■ with the rules so much even during the season that the umps just don’t know how to interpretate the calls. Especially on HTB and Deliberate

1 Like

too many rules are subjective, but there’s nothing subjective about throwing the ball. If a fist to the ball held in the opposite hand is not used to move the ball on, then it is a throw, one of the fundamentals of our game.

I recall one yesterday, paid against Hepp. I reckon i saw at least 10 not paid.

There were 3 free kicks paid yesterday to Collingwood in their forward 50 which ALL resulted in goals. Now I’m o.k. with free kicks providing there is a consistency. Some of our players almost had their heads pulled off in high tackles - no free. Same move on Collingwood player - almost immediate free. Holding the ball - 2 cat and dog and paid against us. Collingwood sometimes counting up to 4 cat and dog and still holding the ball in front of the umpire, no free to us. Don’t talk about hands in the back, incorrect disposal and not standing the mark.

I think the umpires are given leeway and they do influence decisions which result in games of footy being lost through bad umpiring or, maybe it is a desire outcome? This situation cannot improve while the rules are being continually jiggled and tweaked. Make the game more complex and its much harder to umpire - keep it simple and its easier to umpire. Makes sense doesn’t it? So, why do the AFL keep continually changing the rules?

We are inching closer and closer to includig rugby scrums in and on our great game.

2 Likes

My theory is that its not systematic cheating and more just a bunch of umpires that let their bias get a hold of them. were a club that does not receive alot of admiration outside of our own supporter base. for several resons, whether its our success, the saga, hirdy telling scott maclaren that hes a ■■■■■■ etc. the umpires dont like us very much and that will manifest itself during games. where as a club like the bulldogs, who everyone seems to have a fondness for, are given much more leniency by the umps.

1 Like

Its like this, if with-hold can be paramount to lying. Bias can be paramount to cheating because it excuses behaviour that if someone wasn’t biased, they would make a completely different decision or not interfere with the natural flow of the game.

“Cat and dog”??

The umpires (in any sport) have always favoured the top teams and over the past 10 years we just haven’t been a top team. I am convinced certain umpires do not like Essendon and there is a overall bias against us. I’m sure it goes back many years but the supplements saga did not help us in any shape or form. If you know your employer hates someone or something you fall in line and unconsciously carry out their agenda.

The umpiring on Tuesday was rubbish. Throwing the ball is throwing the ball in any weather conditions. What happened to the tighter “opportunity” rule, well that was also thrown out the window as Collingwood players were spun over 360 degrees and then dropped the ball only to be told “play on”.

Don’t even get me started on umpiring standards in Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Massive home team advantage.

One day it will turn our way but at the moment they still hate us and we can do nothing about it but get some wins on the board and try and take them out of the game.

2 Likes

Subconsciously, not ‘unconsciously’. LOL.

1 Like

There are definite biases be the umpires concious of it or not. They are incompetent and often guess which if the result is in line with their bias then a free is paid. They give the benefit of the doubt to certain teams or individuals where they punish others. It’s those 50/50 decisions they are telling.

3 Likes

No, I think ‘unconsciously’ is right.

3 Likes

Easier to spell than Mississippi.

1 Like

this thread needs video analysis.

Apparently sitting on an opponents back is ok these days and both teams got away with that.
We got a few hands in the back which I was surprised about, thought they had been forgotten about that too.

You can’t tell me that in four quarters of football there are only nine infringements according to the rules. There is the first problem right there.
In order to keep the free flowing game the AFL on behalf of their media masters so desire, they have to pick and choose which ones to pay.
Once they start picking and choosing whether or not to pay a free kick that is there according to the rules, the opportunity is there for bias.
Yesterday for instance in the third quarter, I think, they didn’t pay any of the succession of HTB frees against Collingwood then immediately pay “drop kick” against Green when he was tackled.
Was just rubbish and can easily affect the outcome.
If the AFL are serious about the game being umpired properly they need to let the umpires either call every infringement, or perish the thought, change the rules.
Are they biased against EFC?
Once you allow officials to pick and choose which rules and which instances they adjudicate, of course they will be biased.
The afl doesn’t want to let EFC anywhere near a finals series until all of our 12 remaining players are gone imho.

8 Likes

What odds the AFL will officially announce whether a dropkick is (ever) a legal disposal?

Yeah, didn’t think so.

1 Like