The "FFS umpiring, FFS" thread

I wish Pannell never got back up the day he hit the ground at Etihad.
There - I’ve said it

Doc Reid - such a wonderful human being - clearly I am not but I don’t care.

Pannell is a stain on the game and has screwed us since that loss in Sydney many years ago.

7 Likes

I think the advantage decision that resulted in a goal to Freo that actually came off Goddard last (with Gleeson leaving the ball) was the final nail. Wanted to break my TV after that. Absolute howler.

Umpires always screw us and give far too many home town free kicks in Perth.

4 Likes

They did seem to let a fair few “advantages” be taken today, mostly after play had seemingly stopped. I’m still lost with holding the ball, insufficient intent and throwing / hand balling…

1 Like

It really is very simple. If it disadvantages Essendon, then pay it. If it advantages Essendon, don’t.

Expect thems to be the rulez and you’ll find that the matches are umpired quite consistently.

4 Likes

What.

If your names Fyfe do whatever you like.
If you’re in an Essendon guernsey eat shugar.

1 Like

Now its a staple.

QFT. Very accurate synopsis there!

4 Likes

Was screwing us long before that game. His MO early days was to put himself in the opposition forward line early in the game and pluck obscure frees from out of his ring.[

Three times actually, and all three times ended up as goals to freo, two of the times didn’t even get a replay to see what the free was even for

2 Likes

you know when they do that there wasn’t one but they don’t want to highlight it because it was against us !!

1 Like

Im still furious about that one. If Freo had picked it up and handballed its still 50/50 as Gleeson hears whistle stops.

1 Like

7 Likes

Did we ever figure out if the one on the outer wing should’ve been called back?

It was a rucking infringement and they were allowed to take advantage.

Was a bullshit free in the first place too

As frustrating as it is, while the AFL maintains their delusional stance that they never make a mistake, there will be no significant changes for the good.

5 Likes

I was sure it was a ruck free kick, but didnt watch the replay.
just that the other week umps called us back and cost us a certain goal.
And he said “cant play on from a ruck free kick”

Yet freo did and kicked a goal, now someone made a error

Also AFL want to make rucks still relevant, yet they are keen on getting rid of boundary throw ins with all the free kicks for deliberate out of bounds. If you only need a ruck for Centre bounce and a few stoppages they are less relevant

I like boundary throw ins about our game, looks like they will be extinct and we will become the same as soccer, the way the deliberate out of bounds is going.

Id like to return it back to anyone can deliberately knock it over the line.
Now the outcome is a 50/50 contest. I dont see whats so bad from that.
its well known that it is easier to run the clock down by uncontested kicking round the backline.
Also should be able to deliberately kick it out of bounds.as long as its not on the full.
If a player can kick 50 metres down the ground and get a stoppage, its a better result than a free kick to opposition, and encourages players to kick to touch, and encourages opposition to try and keep the ball in if they can, not wait for it to go out and get a free kick. which is pathetic.

Also might make the umpires job easier and less “interpretation” of what they think the player was aiming to do.

Result is more contested footy.

The way the game is going and the changes they are making it will be all uncontested keepings off.

Boundary throw ins also gives players a small break.

ALso deliberate behinds annoy me too, players should be able to rush a behind, only exception should be from a kick out.

Knee jerk reactions to stop the hawks game plan. was just that.

30second goal kicking rule i quite like, even though they brought it in for Lloydy.

5 Likes

If the AFL cared about the ruck they wouldn’t have extended their TV commercials so you often don’t see them after a goal.

1 Like

I’m for dumping the deliberate rule altogether. Badly administered and inconsistent. How can a player from a marking contest punch it straight over the line and not get pinged yet a bloke who kicks it 60 meters does? Better without it and if it increases the number of stoppages so what, stoppages are part of the game.

8 Likes

Have more bounces/ball ups around the ground, like they used to, instead of the fkn ugly rugby scrums which are rife with “flick passes” and blatant throwing. So a quick call of “my ball” etc. as soon as a tackle is made.
At a boundary throw in, the chump should wait until the rucks are in position before putting th ball back into play.
Scrap the DOOB rule. Maybe have a properly worded rule to discourage deliberate time wasting through repeatedly taking the ball out of play. Same with the DRB rule.
Keep it frigging simple!!!

1 Like

Throw ins should end. Walk in 10 / 15m from the boundary line and just throw it up. Throw ins are so inconsistent.