The Final Team Dogs vs Us 8-4-18

Careful what you wish for :wink:

My only knock on him was that he didn’t bend over to pick up the ball.
Some might read that as not being intense enough at the contested ball.
In my opinion he’s got a lot better at that this year.

There are good reasons to play Myers instead of Langford this week.
And equally good reasons not to.
But I don’t think any of those reasons can be attributed to what he’s shown in a block of four, then two senior games last year, and a block of two senior games this year.

I suppose I have the 1970’s to provide perspective.
You look for the bright sparks - the Maddens & Foulds etc to give you hope.
You enjoy the momentary glories of watching a Moss or a Blethyn.
And you always hope your team will win.
There is a touch of the late 70’s about this current team
Sure, argue about selections, coaching moves, and so on. That’s always been part of footy.
I just get ■■■■■■ at posters who decry those who choose to be optimistic supporters.

7 Likes

That’s interesting/ two games this year and you’re able to assess that he’s greatly lifted his intensity. Two games in and presumably the coaches are saying the intensity isn’t good enough, and/or their are other reasons he got dumped. Match ups? Myers the safer option to shore up a win?

Yep.
Happy to make that call.
He looks a lot better in congestion than he did last year.
A lot better.

I haven’t seen the coaches say his intensity isn’t good enough, although perhaps I missed it.
I have seen Worsfold say he’s bringing in players that are buying into the gameplan, but I’m not buying that.

Myers is more experienced and definitely stronger.
But it’s silly to suggest that’s Langford’s fault.

Late 1970’s Bombers got to a final, and were smashed, but generally we were hopeless. Bottom 4 mostly, struggled to win games, very few good players, poor coaching and no prospects. Along came Sheeds and changed that.

Today’s team has some real champions, string band of up and coming young blokes, much better coached and great facilities. Better to compare to Sheeds second year.

1 Like

didn’t @Mendozaaaa have stats to prove this current drought is the worst one in our history.

but hold onto your ‘perspective’ if you want.

1 Like

I agree with the 1st paragraph.
Would you explain your reasoning for the bolded bit?

Sure.

I read it, but understand you to have meant ‘give the kids more leeway even if they may be struggling with the game plan’. Did I understand you wrong?

You said you aren’t buying that Whoosha is bringing in players who are buying into the game plan.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear.
I don’t think the ins and outs have anything to do with who is and isn’t buying into the game plan.
At all.
In any way.
I think it was a really dumb thing to say.
He’s simply dropped the youngest two fringe players for more experienced players.
Which, you know, fine.

1 Like

He can’t exactly say the two kids we have dropped aren’t up to the game plan either.

Agree with the hope aspect. I’m sure that’s the mode that everybody is in really. Always hoping.
I’d just really love to see us play with a hard edge and a ruthless dependability. Just feel we’ve been too flakey as a team for far too long.

Always love seeing bright sparks from younger players as well like you say. I think Fantasia is the guy for me who has been the most exhilarating to watch and once he finds his groove after this injury interruption I’m excited to see just how good he can be.

2 Likes

Why not?
That would be a lot nicer than saying they don’t buy into it.

shrugs
Anyway…

Guess it depends on what you think Langford would consider less flattering/ not a buyer of the game plan or being labelled an ordinary footballer

Not really.
If he had to mention it at all, which he didn’t, he could say the younger players are going to take longer to come to grips with it.
That’s fine.
That’s kind of believable for a start.

It’s a hell of a lot more believable than a couple of kids who haven’t been in the system that long are bucking up against what the coach thinks is the right way to play.

But it’s irrelevant.
We dropped a game.
More experienced players are available and he’s using them.

I can see how one story sounds better than the other though.

Edit: I say players…it’s really only Langord and Myers that is a like for like replacement, the other two are team balance adjustments.

You have to wonder though why Woosha would be concerned about what story is the better look, after all he’s just landed a two year extension which gives him a fair bit of wriggle room.

God I’m sick of hearing about Langford vs Myers.

There are heaps of midfield spots in the team. If Langford offered more than Heppel, Goddard, Smith, zaka or Parish he’d be getting a game in front of them. But he isn’t so he doesn’t.

8 Likes

I don’t wonder at all.
He’s never given anything away about the team before, and he still isn’t.
The only difference is while before he said nothing, now he’s saying dumb stuff.

I don’t want to wach this game
i just can’t fathom losing
we can’t lose tthis
please win