The "gameplan". What was different against the Ds?

Brisbane wont allow us that much space

Yeah i think if teams block the corridor successfully we will be in massive strife.

Well drilled/coached teams will do this

And good teams know what the opposition will do and have tactics to overcome this.

It comes down to us having the confidence and smarts to execute plan B if it’s needed.

1 Like

I think you’ll find he can and he does it often. I’m guessing the kick you’re referring to was when he deliberately sent it to the top of the square?

1 Like

I actually think that’s means how you close down an opponent with the ball so your harder to step rather how you approach a contest

And i hope we don’t allow Hipwood as much space as port afforded him.

Edit: only 3 of his 10 marks were contested.

1 Like

I agree that a full 18 man press seems to be used at times, and holding a few forward at others (haven’t gotten to a game yet).

I just doubt any radical deviation, reaction or change would happen in the space of a week.
Possibly the 16 v 18 were always meant to be options to use at different times - ie if we’re being flogged through the middle, go to the 18 man zone, or something along those lines.

1 Like

I think your 100% wrong. Gabba is tiny, Brisbane also haven’t played MCG for a whole year.
They won’t have a clue how to defend nor utilise so much space. Our plan should be to spread them and see how they can handle the space as a group as well as individually. Our defence just has to press them wide and once it won as Crawford once said chainsaw through and move it forward side to side and utilise space and one on ones.

1 Like

We weren’t really that afl standard.
raz running on the wing with time and space misses baguely by 10 plus meters despite the fact he had a 10 meter head start.
guys handballing to the ruckman when they don’t need to.
hepp missing a 1 meter handball.

Skills are still so sub par, which is why good drilled sides will continue to restrict them.

depending on how brisbane go travelling I don’t think we will get a true evaluation of where we are actually at until we play collingwood. they will be both well set up and apply alot of pressure, so then we will see how the players “fun” football goes.

Game plans are usually heuristics rather than rules because rules don’t stand up in conflict.

1 Like

not questioning your info, but all im reading is, our players are dumb as ■■■■.

1 Like

this post is weird, because you attribute things to the wrong clubs.

The way you say essendon tried to start playing in the second half of the year, is actually more like the richmond style.
they always had at least revolt standing on or near the center of the ground on the last defender at all times. They didn’t have the 18 men in compressed like we were doing.
infact I’m pretty sure a big part of why stewart isn’t playing in the seniors ironically since the first richmond game last year, is because he was the one found out to be not sticking to the gameplan of staying back, and he’d continually wander up to the 50 meter arc ish just leaving rance in the center of the ground by himself.

so yes ironically the way you say you want them to play, is the exact way richmond have, they’ve always had even numbers in their forward setup from stoppages and that.
what they did better than most was once the first quick kick came out of a contest, is guys like edwards, rioli and the like would back themselves in to dodge through traffic and make sure when they disposed of the ball, they’d be in a position where they could kick it to advantage of the players streaming back to goal, not just blinding kicking forward cos players were streaming forward.

I kinda don’t get why we went a genius defensive plan with the new rules the afl implemented. our swarming run and gun is perfect for it.

7 Likes

Gabba: 171 by 150
MCG: 171 by 146

Er, see below. Ground size above assuming fence to fence?

What no way! People kick it inside 50 from half back

156 x 138m - I just found these dimensions?
Further info
MCG 173.6m 148.4m 20,233m square
GABBA 156m. 138m 16,908m

They are cricket dimensions

Hmm, Wikipedia and other sources lie.

As of 24 March 2019 the Gabba is 156 by 136 (per Nearmap).

On 23 August 2018 the MCG was 162 by 138.

Is it a significant difference? Not really.

David Myers was out

3 Likes

Bring the attitude before and during the game
1st and 3rd QTR works well.
Get rid of the 2nd QTR rubbish
And finish games off with a win in the last.
That’s all the game plan we need.