The Great Round 1 team discussion

Elephant in the room: we’re playing four, maybe five back-flankers.

Edit: Other elephant in the room, what happens when Tippa is fit? Or Wanganeen has a big two weeks?
Martin is already showing up some old-timers.

But back to the present, I don’t see how we don’t play Zerk against Hawkins/Cameron/stupid failed ruckman/other tall bloke…whatsisface…

I mean, it might be different if we had genuine pace in the backline…

I dunno, man.

5 Likes

I mean, seriously…anyone who’s been watching and doesn’t have Parrotwell as our starting midfield is taking the absolute ■■■■.

2 Likes

B: Kelly+, Zerk, Heppell
HB: Hind, Stewart, McGrath
C: Langford, Caldwell, Cox (is tall and athletic)
HF: Shiel, Jones, Perkins
F: Stringer*, Wright, Snelling
R: Draper, Merret, Parish

IC: Heppell, Martin, Hobbs, Wanganeen
Sub: Redman

Emergency: Laverde+, Smith, Francis, Guelfi

On form and on match-up.

Grow some balls, Essendon.

+happy to swap
*if 70% fit

Picked same players slightly different positions but had Guelfi as sub instead of Martin.
Martin will get many games this year though.

B: Kelly+, Zerk, Heppell
HB: Hind, Stewart, McGrath
C: Langford, Caldwell, Cox (is tall and athletic)
HF: Shiel, Jones, Perkins
F: Stringer*, Wright, Snelling
R: Draper, Merret, Parish

IC: Heppell, Martin, Hobbs, Wanganeen
Sub: Redman

Emergency: Laverde+, Smith, Francis, Guelfi

On form and on match-up.

2 Heppells in your team…?? No Ridley…?? Laverde emergency…??

You watched many Essendon games lately…!!!

3 Likes

Great another best team thread!!!

I’ll bite by asking why doesn’t anyone rate Guelfi??

1 Like

I’d like to see how Jones goes for the VFL side this weekend.

He’s coming from a long way back & the St. Kilda game gave me no confidence that he’s ready for round 1.

1 Like

Zerk in front of LAV is baffling to say the least.
Anyone will have trouble with Tomahawk if the Cats have midfield ascendancy, though he would eat Zerk alive.

8 Likes

Will be interesting to see how they go with Hawkins and Cameron.

On height you’d think it’s Stewart to Hawkins, Laverde or Kelly to Cameron.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Laverde goes to Hawkins.

2 Likes

LAV to Hawkins
Ridley to Cameron
Stewart to the next tall (Rata/Ceglar/DeKonig) ???
Kelly to Rohan

8 Likes

Yeah I reckon that will be about right

ANNOUNCE TEX

2 Likes

I think Tex may be injured. He did not play in the VFL praccy game on Sunday.

I think he’s working exclusively on building his fitness based.

I reckon they’re trying to get him up to speed for round 1.

Honestly think we will lose by 30.

Goals or points??

2 Likes

i watched most of last night’s game and whilst not much can be taken from geelong’s pre season care factor, the one area they will be genuinley vunerable is against pace. they look ultra slow through the middle and off half back. gold coast pressured really well and geelong folded under it, their mid brigade is awfully slow.

itll be interesting to see if henry gets up for this game, as hebis a underrated defender. if he doesnt, it probably means they play de koning who is pretty raw. Their backline is significantly weak without henry and stewart, although stewart will definitely play - we must limit his influence. he is a absolute gun in the Hurley mould when he was in peak form - he sets up so much of their play coming out of defence. limiting his influence will be key

Tex should seriously be considered, even if its for a small taste early over a couple of rounds and then VFL because i think he’s exactly the sort of player who could trouble geelong with his pace and evasiveness. he’d only need it 8-10 times to have a meaningful impact

5 Likes

Rohan is doubtful?
Could Kelly take Cameron? This frees up Ridley to intercept. Cameron mostly gets his goals from groundballs and fast leads.

1 Like

As we get closer to around 1, the more I’m convinced that Wanganeen must play.

It’s not enough to have small forwards at the drop of the ball, in forward 50. They also need to have the evasiveness and speed to avoid getting tackled.

Guelfi, Smith and Snelling simply aren’t up to it for this role. We played 3 pressure forwards and not one of them went to Hill. So I’m not entirely sure what the point of them are.

1 Like

I would say YES, though id prefer Ridley, personally.