The Humble fish and chippery

Best F&C I have ever had is at Rok Salt in Bright. Absolutely outstanding. Hand cut chips and PCs, incredibly wide range of fish (you can get salmon if you want), tempura vegetables, other random delights you wouldn't expect from a F&C joint.

If you’re ever holidaying in the area I thoroughly recommend, but get there early in the night as it is always pumping.

im sorry, but ive tried this place a couple of times. i reckon once, about 5 years ago it was surprisingly very, very good. but iwas there as recently as this easter, it is terrible.

ive spent my summer holidays workin in a couple of fish and chip shops, so its one thing i reckon i can comment on.

Yeah was up there earlier in the year and it was pretty ■■■■.

Its funny isn’t it - I was there Easter as well and the serving we got was sensational (I think we had it on the Sunday night). Maybe they were getting super hammered the nights you guys went (or maybe I have terrible taste, who knows?)

Best F&C I have ever had is at Rok Salt in Bright. Absolutely outstanding. Hand cut chips and PCs, incredibly wide range of fish (you can get salmon if you want), tempura vegetables, other random delights you wouldn't expect from a F&C joint.

If you’re ever holidaying in the area I thoroughly recommend, but get there early in the night as it is always pumping.

im sorry, but ive tried this place a couple of times. i reckon once, about 5 years ago it was surprisingly very, very good. but iwas there as recently as this easter, it is terrible.

ive spent my summer holidays workin in a couple of fish and chip shops, so its one thing i reckon i can comment on.

Yeah was up there earlier in the year and it was pretty ■■■■.

Its funny isn’t it - I was there Easter as well and the serving we got was sensational (I think we had it on the Sunday night). Maybe they were getting super hammered the nights you guys went (or maybe I have terrible taste, who knows?)

No. It’s ■■■■. I thinking changed hands. The chips are almost like potato skins or wedges, frozen and rubbish. Potato cakes weren’t hand made, frozen rubbish. The fish, can’t remember.

Found that my fish and shop will do fresh battered onion rings… just have to request “home made”… better than frozen onion rings that most place flog off.

Quoted Post
It's all about how often they change the oil in the fryer.

both the fish and the chips have to be pretty good, but potato cakes are what separates the greats from goods.

Is it just how often they change it?
Because I despise orange batter, and that seems like standard rather than an accident at some places.
I reckon there’s a difference in the texture as well, from crispy and flaky (and orange) to…well, good.

Sorry, late to the convo…but I saw this and had to comment. The yellowing is from adding custard powder to the batter mix. It is done to “enhance” the look of the batter, apparently. I saw this on some food show that Mrs WP had on the tube. Although maybe they also just using colouring, or hopefully turmeric, as it is at least good for you.

I haven’t had good fish and chips in over 25 years since I last lived in Vic. I don’t think I have ever had any decent f&c outside of Vic, come to think of it. There is no flake north of the border, as far as I can tell and FFS they are potato cakes, not potato scallops and don’t ■■■■■■ try to palm a vege dim sim off to me.

Crispy chips, real potato cakes, steamed dimmies with soy and chilli sauce and a good burger. I just need a footy match to watch to go with it.

Plus, if they don’t follow the unwritten rule about the ratio of potato cakes served versus the number ordered, then it ain’t a real F&C shop

#alwaysgetoneextra

Ulysees on High st in Preston. Dodgiest looking joint in history; great burgers.

So we have one down our way, that sells "Flake" ... then turns up with "Super Flake" for $1.50 more. At one point the super was the Gummy, & the other school 7 gill etc, then the last time it was supposed to be the nice bits, no dark meat etc. so I'm at a loss as to what the criteria actually are, but I just wondered, has anyone else come across this bullshit?

Flake is flake is flake ffs.

Look carefully under the batter… does it have red undies on?

Local bloke had done two stints, used to sell us ■■■■ (he sold the joint when we were 11-12!!) and try and root all my mate's mums. He sold it, hasn't been good since.

So my personal standard is a lengthy criminal record.

Yes, yes… you’re mates’’ mums…

If you order at least 3 and you don’t get a freebie then that place is shiiittee

I miss a good Aussie fish & chippery. Seems like the more dilapidated the building the better, preferably with wog owners.

My most frequented was the one in the East Keilor centreway and it was very good. I also quite liked the one on Clarendon St in Sth Melb and one in Brunswick near my wife’s sister’s place. Anglesea also had a really good one.

So we have one down our way, that sells “Flake” … then turns up with “Super Flake” for $1.50 more. At one point the super was the Gummy, & the other schoolies, 7 gill, etc, … then the last time it was supposed to be the nice bits, no dark meat etc. so I’m at a loss as to what the criteria actually are, but I just wondered, has anyone else come across this bullshit?

Flake is flake is flake ffs.

Local bloke had done two stints, used to sell us ■■■■ (he sold the joint when we were 11-12!!) and try and root all my mate’s mums.
He sold it, hasn’t been good since.

Can report that Korzzi Burgers in St Kilda has screwed up its burger.
It’s still good.
The meat and the bun are still excellent. Maybe even better.
But they’ve decided to add ALL OF THE SAUCES.
And there’s a spice there. I recognise it, but I can’t isolate it. It belongs in an Indian meal, not a burger.

Why they had to yuppy or hipster up the best burger in Melbourne i do not know.

Local bloke had done two stints, used to sell us ■■■■ (he sold the joint when we were 11-12!!) and try and root all my mate's mums. He sold it, hasn't been good since.

How’d he do?

Local chicken shop , Fat Chicken, started doing fish as well. Then went on to win Gold Coast best chips

Battered Barramundi and those killer chips in the area is now a weekly ritual. Good size serves.

How’d he do?

Struck out, as far as I know. A good mate from cricket’s mum rocked up to their ‘date’ with the 2 year old, just to make the point clear.
He was still married, had been for like 20-30 years by this point.
Ulysees on High st in Preston. Dodgiest looking joint in history; great burgers.

I reckon there’s also Ulysees on high at Northcote, but souvlakis. Looks V dodgy, only known one person to ever eat there.

I reckon there’s also Ulysees on high at Northcote, but souvlakis. Looks V dodgy, only known one person to ever eat there.

Yeah, that’s the one. Don’t know why I wrote Preston - meant Thornbury. Pretty much on the border of Northcote and Thornbury.

Just moved to Templestowe and have yet to find a good f&c joint. One recommended to me, which I duly attended last Friday, probably produced the worst F&C I’ve ever tasted. Anyone got any recommendations?

Leave templestowe