The Humble fish and chippery

Any recommendations for Canberra?

Any recommendations for Canberra?

Don’t come down to Batemans Bay this summer, like everyone else in your country town does.

Just moved to Templestowe and have yet to find a good f&c joint. One recommended to me, which I duly attended last Friday, probably produced the worst F&C I've ever tasted. Anyone got any recommendations?

There is a good one in a small shopping centre off High St b/w Doncaster Rd and Manningham Road.

Another good one is off Station St - Its around 1km north of the Doncaster Shopping centre on the right hand side in a small shopping centre.

Currently in Oxford…soon to try the local Fish and Chip shop. :frowning:

Just moved to Templestowe and have yet to find a good f&c joint. One recommended to me, which I duly attended last Friday, probably produced the worst F&C I've ever tasted. Anyone got any recommendations?

Yep. Call or go and see them & tell them so, … then give them another shot.

You may get the next lot gratis. Sounds strange, but a good F& c er will appreciate the feedback.

If they don’t, & carry on like a pork chop,… then tell 'em to GFed, & never return, … they don’t care.

A little off track, however… Octopus Fish & Chips, Burnie, Tassie.
Great flake, nice batter, real potato cakes.

There is a good one in a small shopping centre off High St b/w Doncaster Rd and Manningham Road.

Another good one is off Station St - Its around 1km north of the Doncaster Shopping centre on the right hand side in a small shopping centre.

Thanks. Will try them out.
A little off track, however.... Octopus Fish & Chips, Burnie, Tassie. Great flake, nice batter, real potato cakes.

Off track? It’s off the ■■■■■■ continent.

Thornbury fish and chips…

Ordered 5 potato cakes.

Got 8!

Amazing.

That’s well above ant kind unwritten law.

Is it potato cake or potato scallops?

Both. Depends on locale.

FINALLY! After moving to the whitehorse area of Melbourne 12 months ago, trying half a dozen different places, I’ve found a cracker of a fish and chippery. Surrey Hills Fish Chips & Grill on union road, south side of the Surrey Hills train station.

Run by what seems to be a couple of greek brothers (guessing here) and their son, the place is clean and modern and I was created with lots of smiles and friendly banter.

The signs were good when I saw them take fresh fish, dunk them in batter and straight into the fryer. No frozen fish here. The potato CAKES were huge, crispy and imperfect. I mentioned to the wife, when they’re imperfect looking, they’re homemade. Not the perfect flat flavourless discs you’d expect from a bulk buy frozen pre-made potato cakes that a lot of f&c joints do now. They threw in an extra potato cake too, something newer business’s seem to be phasing out. Also huge south melbourne dim sims are available too.

But the topper was when I was walking out the door, the bloke goes, “enjoy the drink on us”. I thought I’d paid for a 1.25ltr bottle of soft drink in the bill but looking later he wasn’t joking. They gave me a free bottle of soft drink, got no idea why, maybe recognised I was a new customer and wanted to have me come back, but geez it was a ■■■■■■ nice gesture.

If you’re local, give em a go.

1 Like
FINALLY! After moving to the whitehorse area of Melbourne 12 months ago, trying half a dozen different places, I've found a cracker of a fish and chippery. Surrey Hills Fish Chips & Grill on union road, south side of the Surrey Hills train station.

Run by what seems to be a couple of greek brothers (guessing here) and their son, the place is clean and modern and I was created with lots of smiles and friendly banter.

The signs were good when I saw them take fresh fish, dunk them in batter and straight into the fryer. No frozen fish here. The potato CAKES were huge, crispy and imperfect. I mentioned to the wife, when they’re imperfect looking, they’re homemade. Not the perfect flat flavourless discs you’d expect from a bulk buy frozen pre-made potato cakes that a lot of f&c joints do now. They threw in an extra potato cake too, something newer business’s seem to be phasing out. Also huge south melbourne dim sims are available too.

But the topper was when I was walking out the door, the bloke goes, “enjoy the drink on us”. I thought I’d paid for a 1.25ltr bottle of soft drink in the bill but looking later he wasn’t joking. They gave me a free bottle of soft drink, got no idea why, maybe recognised I was a new customer and wanted to have me come back, but geez it was a ■■■■■■ nice gesture.

If you’re local, give em a go.

I bet you were

1 Like

haha dunno what happened there. That’ll teach me for posting 5 minutes after waking up. You could probably guess I meant to say “greeted” not created.

Personally, from what I hear, I was created with a hint of spite and plenty of alcohol.

I’ll second that.

Wow.
You sure took your time to 2nd it.
The suspense was farkin killing me!

2 Likes

Saw there had been recent additions…came in to read it, and the first post was by nickyd.

Makes you think. Life is temporary. Gather thy fish and chips and potato cakes while thou may.

3 Likes

Too right, man. Too right.

Just on this subject is there only 1 maker of crumbed sausages in Australia?
I swear every take away store I’ve been to buys from the same mob as they are all identical

You’ve had one sausage, you’ve had 'em all, I suppose.