The Humble fish and chippery

number 1 rule, “chippery” must not be included in the name.

also, after watching that “what’s the catch” doco i’m unsure of what to order from a sustainability point of view.

1 Like

good chips and good fish at the same time.

and burgers too.

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink

good chips and good fish at the same time.

and burgers too.

Cant seem to get both. You either get soggy chips or deep fried batter with a sliver of Flake in the middle at some joints.

Definitely the batter for me.
And the fish. If it’s dry then I’m out.
I love a good hamburger, but I wouldn’t stop going to a fish n chip shop over not liking the hamburger.

It’s all about how often they change the oil in the fryer.

both the fish and the chips have to be pretty good, but potato cakes are what separates the greats from goods.

The grease

1 Like

Quoted Post

It's all about how often they change the oil in the fryer.

both the fish and the chips have to be pretty good, but potato cakes are what separates the greats from goods.

Is it just how often they change it?
Because I despise orange batter, and that seems like standard rather than an accident at some places.
I reckon there’s a difference in the texture as well, from crispy and flaky (and orange) to…well, good.

I won’t order fish if I can’t see the ocean from where I eat it. Though this rule of thumb isn’t always helpful as plenty of coast-side fish and chip shops still cook frozen fish.

Also regardless of this its all about the dirty dim sims.

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

I won't order fish if I can't see the ocean from where I eat it. Though this rule of thumb isn't always helpful as plenty of coast-side fish and chip shops still cook frozen fish.

Also regardless of this its all about the dirty dim sims.

Disgrace to Asian cuisine.

chiko rolls

Burger with the lot.

Grilled fish, if you want to try something different. Love calamari rings, but they never give enough.

Quoted Post

Burger with the lot.

Really with the lot?
Egg, beetroot, pineapple?

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Burger with the lot.

Really with the lot?

Here comes a Politics Thread-esque debate.

A reply to: @Jefferson regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Burger with the lot.

Really with the lot?

I like mine simple, burger w/ bacon.

Burger, Cheese, Tomato, Lettuce & Bacon.

1 Like

Quoted Post

Because I despise orange batter, and that seems like standard rather than an accident at some places.
I reckon there’s a difference in the texture as well, from crispy and flaky (and orange) to…well, good.

The type of batter can certainly make a difference. But if you are cooking in last Friday’s oil, it doesn’t matter what you put in there, it’s going to be ■■■■.

I had two friends growing up whose parents owned fish and chip shops. One changed their oil daily, one weekly.

No prizes for guessing the better shop, unless you went to the weekly one on a Monday. Then it wasn’t bad.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Jefferson regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
Burger with the lot.

Really with the lot?

I like mine simple, burger w/ bacon.

I can’t abide beetroot, but I want egg and pineapple.
Bacon I can actually take or leave.
Don’t mind it in, but not essential.

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

The type of batter can certainly make a difference. But if you are cooking in last Friday’s oil, it doesn’t matter what you put in there, it’s going to be ■■■■.

I had two friends growing up whose parents owned fish and chip shops. One changed their oil daily, one weekly.

No prizes for guessing the better shop, unless you went to the weekly one on a Monday. Then it wasn’t bad.

Also who runs it. My wife use to work at one ran by greeks. They use top shelf flake and didnt over use the flour…

Egg is optional, I’ll concede, but you’re unAustralian if you don’t have pineapple and beetroot in your burger.